Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 11:49 pm

The word - alertness - what does it mean to you? More specifically, does anyone relate to how the word - alertness - can be used with ADHD Inattentive? Or Asperger's? Or petit mal/absence? Experiences? Also, is anyone sensitive to coffee or caffeine in a positive way? There are a number of FDA approved products containing caffeine (often 100 mg) which are classified by (aka stated purpose of the caffeine medicine) the FDA as: alertness aid. For some reason I am extremely sensitive in a positive way to caffeine which temporarily allows me to pay attention a little better.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 5:49 am

In meditation parlance, alertness means you are sensitive to changes in where your attention goes. Inattention means not paying attention to what you should be paying attention too; the desired object of attention. If you are alert, then you know when you are paying attention, and when you aren't.

Maybe that's not helpful. Could you perhaps refine or rephrase your question?

I think caffeine is one of those drugs that robs Peter to pay Paul. Has a useful short term effect, but you pay later.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:03 am

To me alertness means I get all that I want to do done without any confusion or hazyness.

Caffiene makes me very alert but in a negative way often. Initially after a cup of coffee I will feel focused on what I am doing but then after a while I get very agitated and angry. It also stops me from sleeping well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:33 am

The coffee thing. Coffee also makes me feel alert. It also keeps me going, all day long. I'm pretty alert, anyways. I could get only 4 hours of sleep and still feel alert.