Is an Aspie/Aspie relationship good?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:11 am

We'd both understand each others quirks/traits/issues etc. As us both being Aspies. My cousin (NT although with some issue not spectrum based mind you) said that's a good idea. Any experience in this area. (I've seen topics that mention Aspie relationships but thought I'd make one focused on it since the thought crossed my mind. :-)

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2010, 9:14 am

I only had Aspie/NT relationships (me being the Aspie :P), so I don't have any personal experience, but I found the film Mozart and the Whale a good description of an Aspie/Aspie relationship (it has a happy ending :D).

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:24 am

At first I was hesitant but aside from relationships, I think I get along better with aspies or people who are introverted than those who are outgoing. I've tried being in a relationship with someone who was extraverted and it was too hard. Plus I've never felt comfortable around people who are too social. I think it does help to be around someone who at least understands to some extent where you're coming from. Not a lot of people understand no matter how much I tell them, that I'm just not interested in social events. It's like night and day, their idea of fun is my idea of a nightmare.

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 10:53 am

I don't know any aspies but I'd like to make friends with an aspie and see if aspies would understand the difficulties better...

I'd imagine that they might find it a little difficult understanding other aspies difficulties because they are so used to nearly everyone around them being NTs

although, other aspies might have met more aspies than me (afterall I don't know anyone who has aspies other than myself)

I hope to one day make friends with an aspie so I can be myself with that person and not feel uncomfortable like I do around most NTs about my problems... :roll:

Technology Enthusiast

Current Personal Goal: Moving to London

Basperger
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2010, 10:54 am

One of my best friends (NT) is very social and extroverted, I find it very interesting to see how easy it is for him to meet other people, start and contribute to a conversation. I can't do that, probably never will or feel the need to, but it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, but with other social people I can feel uncomfortable, my friend can 'detect' when I need to be alone (we know each other for almost 14 years) and not everybody has that skill, but this applies to Aspies too.

So it really doesn't matter if it's an NT/NT, AS/AS of NT/AS relationship, most important is to be understanding and honest towards another.

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 11:00 am

Basperger wrote:
One of my best friends (NT) is very social and extroverted, I find it very interesting to see how easy it is for him to meet other people, start and contribute to a conversation. I can't do that, probably never will or feel the need to, but it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, but with other social people I can feel uncomfortable, my friend can 'detect' when I need to be alone (we know each other for almost 14 years) and not everybody has that skill, but this applies to Aspies too.

So it really doesn't matter if it's an NT/NT, AS/AS of NT/AS relationship, most important is to be understanding and honest towards another.

I'm not suggesting that I feel uncomfortable around all NTs... just most of them... most of the people in my area just care about looking good around their mates, so some would try to find any reason to start a fight (if they are sure that they'll win of course :roll: ) and some will just humiliate me rediculously which in turn gives me a really bad knock to my confidence

Technology Enthusiast

Current Personal Goal: Moving to London

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 11:05 am

I think I'd rather be with another aspie but I would say I prioritize hobbies ahead of AS

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Jul 2010, 11:46 am

it can be. I had an aspie girlfriend and we were together for a couple years but it didn't work out.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 11:48 am

Yes, it can be.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

I am currently in a relationship with another Aspie. It is so refreshing, to be understood by him. He is not likely to want to seek out loud, crowded social situations, any more than I am. We were both alone for a long time, before we met, because we just couldn't find anyone that understood. But as others have said, it depends upon both people's acceptance and tolerance of each other.

Suiseiten
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2010, 12:09 pm

I'm in one right now and I like it because we can both play off of each other's quirks.

However, I get the impression that his mother doesn't approve. It seems like at first she was approving but after she started suspecting that I may have Aspergers, she's been less and less accepting of it. It seems worse now that I received the diagnosis because she thinks that I may be a hindrance on any progress that he's had with his own diagnosis.

Crystallina
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2010, 12:21 pm

Been there, done that.

Aspie/aspie friendship works fairly well for me.
Aspie/aspie romantic relationship = fail miserably.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:43 pm

A lot of you talk about the social crowd thing. I'd want someone who'd do stuff like that LOL! (mall,fair,Black Friday) I find expected crowds fun/enjoyable) It's the bump into people on a normal day at Walmart that irks me. LOL!

bewarethebob
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:43 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
I think I'd rather be with another aspie but I would say I prioritize hobbies ahead of AS

ditto

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:55 pm

From what I have observed, male-female aspie relationships tend to do a lot better than aspie-NT relationships. Aspie male-male friends only seem to work both parties are aware that they are aspies and the issues that go along with that.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2010, 1:31 pm

I have no idea, the only other Aspie I know is a suspected case, and that was only because I told him about my diagnosis.