Aspies with a wide range of interests?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:22 pm

How un-Aspie like is this? I do have have things that I will get obsessive about and focus very intensely on for awhile, usually to the point of exhaustion and I do put my interests ahead of other people, but I'm still interested in other things during that time. I like to try and take in as much as possible.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:25 pm

It isn't un-Aspie at all.
There are many people with Asperger's who have more than a few interests, including myself.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:28 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
How un-Aspie like is this? I do have have things that I will get obsessive about and focus very intensely on for awhile, usually to the point of exhaustion and I do put my interests ahead of other people, but I'm still interested in other things during that time. I like to try and take in as much as possible.

I have quite a wide range of interests. I have some interests that are fairly consistent and haven't changed much throughout my life, though I will put them aside for a while....sometimes many years, and then I have "interests of the week" or passing interests where I'll become quite interested in a particular subject and learn everything I can on until I lose interest.

Sometimes I'm interested for a few hours and sometimes I'm interested for a few months.

I will absorb an entire fact book in a day, and whether or not I remember the information, I typically won't care to read it again and I will obsessively read "The Straight Dope"

In fact if the internet did not exist I'd spend much of my day at the library as I am a massive information monger. I have inherited this trait from my grandmother.

The only reason I have not gone on Jeopardy is because I generally hate Shakespeare and cannot be bothered to read much of his work.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:34 pm

My Aspie obsessions come and go very quickly. When I was a boy, I would have interests that would last about six months to a year at a time, but as I got older the durations shortened. Now, I'm in my 40s and I have interests that may last no longer two or three days. On top of these, I might have "mini-interests," in which I might see a subject on TV or online and I just HAVE to know everything about it. So, I'll research everything I can about it for a few hours, then I'll drop it.

Last edited by dyingofpoetry on 19 Jul 2010, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2010, 9:42 pm

I have both long-term interests and short-term ones. When I find something I like, I tend to learn as much as I can about it. Wikis are very useful for this purpose.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 10:02 pm

I want to know everything about everything (except the boring stuff).

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
My Aspie obsessions come and go very quickly. When I was a boy, I would have interests that would last about six months to a year at a time, but as I got older the durations shortened. Now, I'm in my 40s and I have interests that may last no longer two or three days. On top of these, I might have "mini-interests," in which I might see a subject on TV or online and I just HAVE to know everything about it. So, I'll research everything I can about it for a few hours, then I'll drop it.

I am the same way. I feel like my special interests don't last very long nowadays. Actually I wonder if my dad might have a bit of AS cuz he does the same thing, researches stuff manically on the internet for like a day then drops it.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 1:21 am

Even though here on WP I mostly talk about my interest in Johnny Depp/Tim Burton films, I do have an interest in other films that have nothing to do with them; including Labyrinth, The Wizard of Oz, The Princess Bride, The Phantom of the Opera, The Mask of Zorro, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Repo! The Genetic Opera.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2010, 2:14 am

I hear you. I daubble in alot of hobbies, and interests, and excel, but eventually I hit a glass celing, called the noob wall. That is only penetrated if one decides at that moment to stop being a noob and decide to become seroius. (Blue belt of Karate lol), or level 11 of Warcraft, when Quests get harder. People advised me to pick to a topic and stick to it. lol.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:50 am

I have a few interests, sometimes I get mini obsessions that last for a week or so, and I get loads of those and then I'm more open minded. But my main interests aren't usually that varied, especially when one of them becomes a mega obsession. When I get one of those, everything else is boring.
I don't know if it's un aspie-ish to have lots of interests, but I know it's more of an NT thing. Because normals usually have lots of varied and casual interests, casual meaning they don't obsess over it. And they are more vague, if they have an interest in science it's science in general but an aspie would probably fixate on one small part of science.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 7:25 am

I have a whole bunch of interests. I like almost anything.