Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2010, 10:29 pm

Owning a home is a big responsibility, but for those on the spectrum, having your own space is important. I have my own house with help from my parents, and I would never want to live in an apartment. There are downsides. Homes require constant work and upkeep. Cleaning is a real killer ( unless, of course its your special interest!).

Scotty1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2010, 12:57 pm

I owned two homes, one was a single home on a nice lot, the other was a duplex.
I hated the duplex, because the neighbors always knew if you were coming or going, and I have the same problem now, living in an apartment.

The costs of living in my duplex were very low, I bought it as a foreclosure, and took out a small equity loan to fix it. My payments on it were only like $225 per month. Sold it in 2005 before the crash. Apartment living and home ownership are both expensive.

There can be arguments made either for renting or owning, but I think that if I ever buy again, it will be a trailer. Yep, not kidding. You own it, so you have a little equity, and you rent the space it sets on, so you don't have the the taxes and fees associated with having your own lot. Of course, if you find some land that you like, you can put up a foundation and just put your trailer on it and you have an instant house.

Of course, this has a certain stigma attached to it, but it seems like it might be an interesting move.

Occasionally, I have imagined just gettng a motorhome and squatting in the WalMart parking lot.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2010, 1:31 pm

Gotta be little careful about the trailers, though. I kind of like them too, but they tend to be made out of a slew of toxic materials. I was considering a modular home several years back and there were warning signs all over the models about formaldehyde and people with sensitive respitory systems. Also, if the land owners get into financial trouble, you could end up having to move your house which is somewhat risky and costly. It's probably a safer bet to own the land, but at least do your homework about the owners of the community. It's also a good idea to consider structural security with respect to storms. As far as the stigma goes - eff 'em. Who cares what other people think anyway. :D

Scotty1

25 Sep 2010, 2:06 pm

Yes, there were many trailers that were considered too toxic to live in after Katrina.

The thing that I never understood though, was that all normal building materials have the same toxic stuff in them. Plywood, strandboard, (OSB), floorcovering, plastics used in plumbing like Pex, abs, pvc, etc... Every house has all that stuff already in it.

I have concluded that the key to a safe house is ventilation, and not though dirty duct work. The more insulated and sealed up the house is, the sicker you will become. It isn't exactly the most energy efficient concept, but it is undeniable that fresh air is good for you.

Your right about being careful about the structual quality of these trailer dwellings. The joke about structural integrity and trailers is, "Would your house survive a 60mph trip on the interstate?"

If I did move into a trailer park, i would write a blog about it. It has got to be interesting to observe the happenings in such a place. Perhaps living in a trailer brings out the Gypsie (not meant to be a slur against real Gypsies, just a reference to nomadic caravan life.) in people.

AsIndsigt

28 Sep 2010, 6:52 pm

I own my house (with my wife) but its an autism friendly setup: small garden (very easy to maintain 6 hours a year, max)

mortage is fixed at 5% for next 30 years. its not the cheapest, but it will never change. (peace of mind, yes ty)

the house is in perfect condition, so no little things need to get fixed(aside from us wanting a new kitchen)

my dream is to have built and "Autism House" to my specifications, sound proof, secluded, with silence appliances, shaded windows etc etc.

munky101
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Sep 2010, 11:12 pm

My wife and I own our house and it is entirely her doing as I am horribly inefficient with money. The issues you all speak of in relationship to maintenance and lawn work by far is better than the unnerving existence of having people all around you in an apartment. I am very sensitive to all that is going on around me and hearing the neighbors would drive me crazy(figuratively speaking) after a very short while. I also cannot stand the act of moving as I usually have to rely on my NT family members who have no concept of order or logic.

I also like the freedom to be as creative as I like in our house. I can paint murals on my daughters wall with her and not have to worry about a landlord complaining. I could run CAT5 cable through the walls so everyone in the house has a broadband connection. Also, I could put tint on my office windows so I would not be disturbed by the going ons outside. Home ownership is not easy but I can sleep at night without hearing the lives of my neighbors and I can make anyone I do not feel comfortable with leave on my terms.(or if that doesn't work they leave on my wifes terms(she's meaner than I am)

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 6:16 am

Well we have a house that's close to being paid off. The money aspect wasn't too hard. It's the upkeep. Our house is easily one of the worst looking ones on the block. The paint is fading, the trees and hedges are overgrown, lawn is more weeds than grass. I always wondered if people can easily tell that weirdos live in there. If it's in an older area of the town maybe it doesn't look too bad, but this is in a typical suburb with those McMansions and neat lawns around.

When you walk inside it's not loads better either. No decent furniture, hardly any decor, toys, clothes and books tossed everywhere, beds are never made...etc. I think the state of our couch can make some people's jaw pop right out of the joints. :D My only clean and neat area is my kitchen and laundry room. I try enough to make sure my family have clean clothes to wear and good food to eat.

Four people live here and three have AS for sure and one is kinda borderline. Sometimes we nag each other enough, then we do some cleaning together. We could hire people to do the outside, but we're usually not motivated or organized enough to keep track of the to-dos for the house. I can't wait to downsize. When I was living by myself, my apartment was spotless. No junk, no dirt, there were pictures on the walls and flowers on the table. I think I'm mostly overwelmed by the much bigger space and many more people making the mess that I don't even try to keep it clean. How many Aspies would rather clean four bathrooms than browsing online? :)

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 5:01 pm

Maybe when it's paid off you can spend some of the money that would have gone into the mortgage on housecleaners/yadrworkers, etc? We have a housecleaner twice a month and really should hire someone to do yardwork, just never get around to it. (My son is very into helping me with yardwork, but spends a lot more time talking about how awesome it is to help me than actually doing anything. :lol: )

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 7:13 pm

I have been looking into buying my own house out in the country, because I value privacy, and want a place to do with as I wish, but there are many things to consider before doing so.

Here's what I have come up with:

Pros:
You have more freedom to do whatever you want with the place.
More privacy (in most cases).
You won't have to deal with bad landlords, or play by their rules.
Sometimes it's cheaper than renting.

Cons:
In these days, you have to worry about job security and being able to afford, or stay in the house.
Many homes are still way overpriced, and if you have to take out a mortgage, the interest you pay over the life of the loan will frighten you.
Property taxes. Even if/when you finally pay the house off, you still have to pay the taxes on it, and they usually keep going up every year. If you don't pay, they can come and take your house away from you.
You have to constantly worry about maintainence and up keep.

T_Hinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2010, 11:03 pm

This is an interesting topic. I had no Idea how lucky I am to be single and own a house that I could turn quickly. I am thinking of scaling down a bit tho. Thinking about a duplex but can't find one I like (that I could dump fast if need be). Now looking at possible mom-in-law houses, rent big one out, live in apt. Good idea? I don't know, checking.
Comments:
Mdyar said:
(We have 7 years till ownership , but property taxes are always due till death , unless you are 70 and live in Alabama).
Well I do and you are right- taxes are SILLY low!
and yes, death will get you out of just about everything so why not...

munky101 said:
I also like the freedom to be as creative as I like in our house. I can paint murals on my daughters wall with her and not have to worry about a landlord complaining. I could run CAT5 cable through the walls so everyone in the house has a broadband connection. Also, I could put tint on my office windows so I would not be disturbed by the going ons outside.
I did this! Garage, front door, shutters and deck are tri-color combo. NO HOA :evil:
Ran cat5 up through attic and down for 3 computers and 4 cable tv AND tinted the front windows and rear french door before hanging 2 sets of blinds.

Macgumerait said:
My predominant worry about housebuying is having to take out a dreaded mortgage....in other words, instantly landing yourself with a lifelong debt that, especially nowadays, would be difficult to ever pay off.
Would you ever 'pay off' RENT? Buying is just a way of 'fixing' the rent more stable than an apartment but you will ALWAYS be paying for a roof, why not own it eventually?

n4mwd said
So yeah, home ownership is more easily attainable than relationships. To own a home, you just need to come up with a plan and follow it logically.
AMEN

Igor
Raven
Raven

07 Oct 2010, 4:10 am

I reckon its better buying than renting, if you can get a loan for a mortgage. I don't know about the States, but here in the UK it is often more expensive to rent than to buy a similar sized property on a mortgage. I suppose you have to weigh up job stability and all that when considering it.

Before I got married, the only option I could afford was a room in a shared house. That was hell on Earth. Got married to someone who's financially astute and was in banking at that time, so she had a flat (apartment) with a cheap mortgage.

If I hadn't been so lucky, even if I'd had the money and even though I am more than capable of working out best options and stuff for me, the actual process of buying a house, dealing with Estate Agents, Lawyers, banks would have just overloaded me.

T_Hinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2010, 8:27 am

Igor,
You vastly overthought that one. I bought this house in one week flat. I was new to this town (4 months in a hotel) In my spare time in winter & so dark too much, not much daylight. I drove around looking at neighborhoods. Mark Twain said buy the neighbors, not the house. I asked people about the 'sides' of town. Kept hearing the name of one neighborhood. Went there and drove around. Saw the small house with small yard, view, fence and outbuilding I sought with a sign on it. Called an agent and looked at some OTHER houses to diffuse that I liked THIS one. Dealt with just her, 2 days of receiving back and forth phone calls- I said we close in one week-I rejected inspection on a 13 yr old house with continuous home warranties. Closed in one week -$15,000 down from asking price and nearly completely furnished, had to move out before I could move in (the moving out while moving in took a year, I also replaced flooring and stuff too). Jettisoned my junk furniture before packing pods and moving them here-also just one week.
At this time I had had my job for just 4 months and had just moved from contract to salary. Been self-employed for 20 odd years up to that time.
Closing; You sit at the table, they go blah, blah, blah, sign this, sign that- you're done.

Buying usually IS much cheaper than renting. You only have to deal with 3 people and not even at the same time. I did these things on my lunch hour. 1 Mortgage person to pull your credit, 1 realtor OR lawyer, not both. 1 closing table realtor and lawyer for one hour.
In my opinion the realtor got free money- she received a phone call and took orders and picked up a commission. I believe I'll use a lawyer next time-much cheaper.

Just remember TIME IS LINEAR not all things can happen at once! You don't like something you say "WAIT""I need time to think about that." It's the LAW you get 72 hours to pull out of any major purchase to avoid buyer's remorse.

Last, credit; Yes Conventional loans do take more credit BUT FHA (and you do have to jump through many many hoops but it) does not take great credit or bunches of money. Last month my daughter bought a house, it was a big hassle but she was doing it with just $5000.00 no personal credit, been married less than one year, one year on job, her hubby had small credit and much less income. Her note is 5%. The house is $115,000. but b4 crash was $170,000.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:57 am

T_Hinker wrote:
Igor,
You vastly overthought that one. I bought this house in one week flat. I was new to this town (4 months in a hotel) In my spare time in winter & so dark too much, not much daylight. I drove around looking at neighborhoods. Mark Twain said buy the neighbors, not the house. I asked people about the 'sides' of town. Kept hearing the name of one neighborhood. Went there and drove around. Saw the small house with small yard, view, fence and outbuilding I sought with a sign on it. Called an agent and looked at some OTHER houses to diffuse that I liked THIS one. Dealt with just her, 2 days of receiving back and forth phone calls- I said we close in one week-I rejected inspection on a 13 yr old house with continuous home warranties. Closed in one week -$15,000 down from asking price and nearly completely furnished, had to move out before I could move in (the moving out while moving in took a year, I also replaced flooring and stuff too). Jettisoned my junk furniture before packing pods and moving them here-also just one week.
At this time I had had my job for just 4 months and had just moved from contract to salary. Been self-employed for 20 odd years up to that time.
Closing; You sit at the table, they go blah, blah, blah, sign this, sign that- you're done.

Buying usually IS much cheaper than renting. You only have to deal with 3 people and not even at the same time. I did these things on my lunch hour. 1 Mortgage person to pull your credit, 1 realtor OR lawyer, not both. 1 closing table realtor and lawyer for one hour.
In my opinion the realtor got free money- she received a phone call and took orders and picked up a commission. I believe I'll use a lawyer next time-much cheaper.

Just remember TIME IS LINEAR not all things can happen at once! You don't like something you say "WAIT""I need time to think about that." It's the LAW you get 72 hours to pull out of any major purchase to avoid buyer's remorse.

Last, credit; Yes Conventional loans do take more credit BUT FHA (and you do have to jump through many many hoops but it) does not take great credit or bunches of money. Last month my daughter bought a house, it was a big hassle but she was doing it with just $5000.00 no personal credit, been married less than one year, one year on job, her hubby had small credit and much less income. Her note is 5%. The house is $115,000. but b4 crash was $170,000.

With all due respect, I don't believe this to be very sound advice. If your daughter didn't have at least 20% + closing costs to put down on the 115K house (approx 30K), she really couldn't afford it. Times have changed quite a bit and in most areas of the country, property values are still declining. Suppose something unexpected were to happen in the next few years or so such as a job loss or relocation, she could easily find herself underwater if her property value declines further. We need to learn the lessons of the crash and change accordingly. Low money and no money down payments are a big contributor to the mess we're in today.

T_Hinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2010, 9:36 am

I agree completely with you on the soundness of my daughter's decision. This is PRECISELY what got us into this mess. I spoke with her continuously during the time she was trying to buy. Several times toward the end I tried to caution her toward prudence, she was succumbing to 'new car smell' as well as her mother's obsession: once I've begun something and I keep hitting obsticles, I get even more determined to find my way around. I told her that I've since learned my lesson about that one: If it doesn't happen easily, perhaps it's not supposed to! STOP! Give it a REST, THINK! PAUSE. and in that time whatever god has designed that is BETTER will likely happen and then it WILL be easy and RIGHT. She's young, She's like her mother, she HAS to learn it for herself. As far as I'm concerned, the bigger mistakes you make the faster (the more deeply) you learn, the less afraid you are to do it better next time. Things tend to work for her that never worked for me so I hesitate to get to preachy with her. Keyword here-she's YOUNG enough to do it again better.

BUT, what I was attempting to relate to Igor was that the PROCESS is not that big or scary and can be done without reducing you to a quivering mass.

The first time I went to get a business license I was a wreck, I nearly cried, I was scared to death. Now that I know it's so simple- I go in without even a name in mind and $2.00 later I have a meaningless peice of paper that I can choose not to use but if I want to I can get things at wholesale and write stuff off on taxes.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 12:23 pm

I wish I had listened to my gut when things seemed a little "funny" as I approached the closing on my house. Now I'm looking at a short sale, but hey, I did learn an awful lot about money and finances and the true cost of things. I even do my family's taxes now which is something I never thought I'd be able to handle. Glad your daughter's young and hopefully, and more than likely, things will work out.

So true about the process. It's almost too simple. Just sign about 100 papers, grab your keys and go. The best way to reduce nerves about the process is to gain a full understanding of it. Take you time and do your homework and you'll be fine.

T_Hinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2010, 1:03 pm

TAXES!! !! !
I only had one total complete 'nervous breakdown' ever. I attempted a 1040 A by myself.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again
*runs weeping and sobbing from room*