Told to change your special interest?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 9:16 pm

I know I've made a similar topic in the past but the thought crossed my mind today when dad said I need to stop buying videogames. Uh NO! (I didn't say that but thought that) As of now money is tight so I'm replaying Golden Sun 1 and 2 (in preparation for 3 this holiday season) I plan on buying that and a 3DS when it comes out the new Zelda etc. I will always try to make time for gaming no matter what. That's why I'm interested in psychology (I can have my cake and eat it too) What better person to analyze games as a Psychologist than a GAMER! Who can look at the games objectively and not toss Psychology BS at the gaming issues. :-)

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2010, 9:21 pm

I'll be quite honest with you, if anyone told me to stop doing any of my special interests, including gaming, I'd tell them to go f**k themselves, or to go get sodomized with a rusty chisel. My apologies for the language.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 9:23 pm

It sounds like he's just asking you to spend less money, not change your special interest.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 9:31 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I know I've made a similar topic in the past but the thought crossed my mind today when dad said I need to stop buying videogames. Uh NO! (I didn't say that but thought that) As of now money is tight so I'm replaying Golden Sun 1 and 2 (in preparation for 3 this holiday season) I plan on buying that and a 3DS when it comes out the new Zelda etc. I will always try to make time for gaming no matter what. That's why I'm interested in psychology (I can have my cake and eat it too) What better person to analyze games as a Psychologist than a GAMER! Who can look at the games objectively and not toss Psychology BS at the gaming issues. :-)

If you make your own money and your bills are paid, then what you want to do with the rest of it is your business as long as it doesn't get you into a jam.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 9:33 pm

rmctagg09 wrote:
I'll be quite honest with you, if anyone told me to stop doing any of my special interests, including gaming, I'd tell them to go f**k themselves, or to go get sodomized with a rusty chisel. My apologies for the language.

Christ. Anger issues.

I have been told to change it heaps.

1. When I was a kid a teacher at school banned me from writing about cats.
2. The neightbours mum forbid me to bring cat toys over to play
3. Mum told me to "grow up" when I obsessed over video games as a teenager
4. My flatmate had a go at me for the fact I spend a lot of time in front of the computer this year
5. Mum told me to "stop going tohealth shops" this year.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 9:36 pm

If anybody was to tell me to give up my special interests, I'd ask the person, how they would feel, if their favourite things were taken away from them.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2010, 9:59 pm

My outburst aside:

-Teachers taking my insect books away because they creeped out the other children.
-My friends in my Christian club in college asking me why I didn't listen to Christian music like they did because I listen to videogame music. My music was actually referred to as "noise" on my Formspring once.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:02 pm

My family has always characterised my interests as frivolous or stupid - and they don't even know about some of my stranger ones. I refuse to and don't think I am able to change them at will - my brain picks them out and I'm stuck with them until I'm done with them or I find something else even more interesting.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:04 pm

I'm glad not that many people try to change me. Though sometimes I think back and wish they would have. Never would have gotten into Mario and Pokemon, would have spent all my allowance buying multiple unopened copies of Chrono Trigger or some other game which would make me rich. I wish I never bought my paintball gun, because paintball is one of the most expensive hobbies on earth.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:29 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
I'm glad not that many people try to change me. Though sometimes I think back and wish they would have. Never would have gotten into Mario and Pokemon, would have spent all my allowance buying multiple unopened copies of Chrono Trigger or some other game which would make me rich. I wish I never bought my paintball gun, because paintball is one of the most expensive hobbies on earth.

I got a chance to play Chrono Trigger on DS one of the best RPG's ever! IMO. :-)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:36 pm

All time time as a child and young teen. I was always told to "widen my horizions". When my parents told me that, it made me feel I wasn't loved very much and it made me feel so bad and made me hate my parents.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 11:36 pm

When I was eight I was obssessed with the Nazis, I loved their uniforms, weapons, and tanks. People were constantly telling me I should find other books to read when I was in the library when they saw me looking for some info or re-reading the same old books over and over again. People told me my instrest in them was on healthy because the pain and suffering they caused.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2010, 12:15 am

When I was a teenager, I was fortunate to be obsessed with the Beatles, because veryone else that I knew was too, so I didn't stand out and my parents didn't hassle me (except that I got in trouble with one of the nuns at my school when she confiscated a John Lennon book that I was showing some girls in the school bathroom).

My AS son became obsessed with the Beatles with my help when he was about 3 and that was different. He knew huge amounts of information about them, and would throw a fit if someone tried to play anything other than Beatles music. My NT husband would complain that our interest in the music was "cult" like. Ha! DVD's, CD's, books, cassette tapes everywhere!! ! Long live the Beatles!! !

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2010, 12:25 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
What better person to analyze games as a Psychologist than a GAMER! Who can look at the games objectively and not toss Psychology BS at the gaming issues. :-)

Indeed, Many therapists don't even try to understand video games, but pathologize the interest and activity. Some of them are anti-computer in general. Imagine what life would be like without your computer--its literally my lifeblood and connection to other people.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 12:29 am

Pistonhead wrote:

If you think paintball is expensive, try shooting 3-gun (live fire) matches.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 1:16 am

Thankfully all of my special interests have been creative outlets, from writing fiction to essays, to film making and graphic design, so no one's ever really told me to try to change them or to 'get a life'. I've tried on occasion to get more into some of the other minor ones I have, such as music and art, but I could never really fully commit myself to any of them. It's like my entire purpose in life is to tell stories, any way I can. My problem is that I can't decide which method I like best... :)