Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:12 am

Edinburgh area?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:14 am

I live in Dumrieshire

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:22 am

oh ok. I wanted to travel to Edinburgh or other parts of Scotland in the future. I looked at the weather for Edinburgh for example, and they hardly ever see temps above 18c! That's about 65F. That is great weather. I can't stand the heat and humidity and all and just love love cold weather. I don't hear of anything bad about living in Scotland. Is it expensive to live there?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:33 am

No

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:48 am

luvsterriers wrote:
oh ok. I wanted to travel to Edinburgh or other parts of Scotland in the future. I looked at the weather for Edinburgh for example, and they hardly ever see temps above 18c! That's about 65F. That is great weather. I can't stand the heat and humidity and all and just love love cold weather. I don't hear of anything bad about living in Scotland. Is it expensive to live there?

Shouldn't be. Might be a little more expensive near Edinburgh. Petrol is considerably more expensive in Britain (and Europe generally) than in the US, and some other things are more expensive. I can't think off-hand of anything that's much cheaper here. Basic annual cost of living was recently reckoned around £14,000 (linky), whatever that is in dollars at the moment, I dunno, $21,000 or so. But don't take that too seriously as it depends heavily on your circumstances.

The year is still young.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:57 am

gas is more expensive in Scotland? It's about $2.65 for regular unleaded here in Northern Virginia.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 7:31 am

My parents and I are thinking of going to Scotland sometime next year or following year. Is Edinburgh and Glasgow close enough so that we can do a tour? When is the best time to visit Scotland? The hotel we were looking to stay at in Edinburgh is close to a Korean restaurant. Are there a lot of Koreans? I'm half Korean.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 7:39 am

Yes, Edinburgh here. And the city has a very vibrant Aspie scene, with much more facilities for Asperger's compared to almost all of the UK.

The 18 degrees Celsius would be an average high for this time of year. It has been a bit warmer than that recently, but not by much (for a few weeks before a spell of high rainfall for the last 2 or 3 weeks).

Petrol: average £1.20 a litre in Scotland now. That's £5.45 a gallon, about $8.30. Fortunately there is much more public transport here and you can live in Edinburgh without needing a car.

I don't know what type of accommodation you'd be looking for but one bedroom flats would start at £400 a month absolute minimum, £500 or more if you wanted a good area.

Any more questions about Scotland please don't hesitate to ask us.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 7:41 am

I also have a West Highland White Terrier. Any dog breed related stores in Edinburgh? There has to be being that Westies are from Scotland...

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 7:44 am

luvsterriers wrote:
My parents and I are thinking of going to Scotland sometime next year or following year. Is Edinburgh and Glasgow close enough so that we can do a tour? When is the best time to visit Scotland? The hotel we were looking to stay at in Edinburgh is close to a Korean restaurant. Are there a lot of Koreans? I'm half Korean.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are only 45 miles apart. You can get to Glasgow in less than an hour on the train. Because the two biggest cities are so close together I'd recommend trying to travel to areas like the Highlands as well, for a broader picture of Scotland.

I think I would recommend the spring season, summer would be equally nice too but of course that's high season so it depends if you would want to stay in high season.

There are not very many Koreans, but I know Edinburgh has a concentration of them attending Bible college here. Are you a Christian, because that would be ideal for you if you are?

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 8:22 am

The Koreans attend the bible college at University of Edinburgh? I thought maybe Edinburgh had Embassy of South Korea, but that is in London. I see that there are Polish restaurants in Edinburgh too. Are there a lot of immigrants in Scotland? Here in the US we have a illegal immigration problem and wonder if Scotland has the same issue. Yes, I am Catholic. What religion is most popular in Scotland?

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 9:57 am

luvsterriers wrote:
The Koreans attend the bible college at University of Edinburgh? I thought maybe Edinburgh had Embassy of South Korea, but that is in London. I see that there are Polish restaurants in Edinburgh too. Are there a lot of immigrants in Scotland? Here in the US we have a illegal immigration problem and wonder if Scotland has the same issue. Yes, I am Catholic. What religion is most popular in Scotland?

there are many catholics in scotland, Most immigrants in scotland and the rest of the UK are from India or the middle east and so we have alot of Indian and Chinese resteraunts. there is not a massive illegal immigration issue in the UK

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 10:03 am

Polish restaurants?

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 10:05 am

luvsterriers wrote:
Polish restaurants?

Ive not seen any in Dumfrieshire but Edinburgh could be different

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 10:11 am

oh ok.
What about pubs? I love going to irish pubs. But I read that the song "Wild Rover" could be from Scotland.
About Scottish foods, what is the most popular dish? I have had Irish food.

Keeno

We were thinking of staying at the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa. Is that in a good location?

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 11:17 am

luvsterriers wrote:
But I read that the song "Wild Rover" could be from Scotland.

Hehe, you'll probably be surprised to learn it was originally an English song. It was written by a guy called Thomas Lanfiere in the 1600s, but has been much changed over the years. :wink:

Trust me, I'm a folkie. :lol:

The year is still young.