What will be the last religion to fall to science?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:03 pm

Gosh I summed it all up in the title.

I'm voting for Buddhism based on its lack of conflict with rationalism and advancement.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:04 pm

Taoism

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:28 pm

Buddism or any of the other more philosophy-based religions.

Dennis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2010, 11:34 pm

Buddhism and religions/philsophies like it might never cease to exist really. Although if science ever advances to the point where they can prove whether or not there's reincarnation or an afterlife. Buddhism might change.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2010, 2:00 am

I hope science is the last religion to fall to science.

Do I sound bitter? Sorry, that's just my disillusionment speaking...

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:09 am

About 200 years ago , the philosopher Immanuel Kant argued at great length about the limits of science, as well as the limits of religion. He pointed out that science cannot do what you are imagining, and in any event religions all the world over are still going strong, regardless of what is happening in first world countries.

In short, I don't see any reason to think that religion will "fall" to science, because any "science" that thinks it can adjudicate such matters has overstepped its mark - gone beyond the boundaries of science.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:31 am

one-A-N wrote:
About 200 years ago , the philosopher Immanuel Kant argued at great length about the limits of science, as well as the limits of religion. He pointed out that science cannot do what you are imagining, and in any event religions all the world over are still going strong, regardless of what is happening in first world countries.

In short, I don't see any reason to think that religion will "fall" to science, because any "science" that thinks it can adjudicate such matters has overstepped its mark - gone beyond the boundaries of science.

And any religion that pretends to adjudicate the matters it undertakes can easily be viewed as the babbling of nincompoops.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:04 am

Dennis wrote:
Buddhism and religions/philsophies like it might never cease to exist really. Although if science ever advances to the point where they can prove whether or not there's reincarnation or an afterlife. Buddhism might change.

Depending somewhat on one's adoption of Buddhism reincarnation is irrelevant anyway. Loosely speaking I'm Zen Buddhist and to me (and many others of similar inclination) reincarnation is just as irrelevant and fanciful as the Christian ideas of heaven / afterlife.

Actually I think the last religions to fall will probably be fundamentalist Islam or fundamentalist Christianity because they simply close their minds to scientific knowledge and pretend it doesn't exist. Knowledge about evolution or simply trying to find out knowledge about such things in some fundamental Islamic cultures would be enough to warrant being beheaded. Evolution is also treated dismissively in some American schools - a fact I find curious - a nation technologically advanced yet so backwards in other respects.

It was only a couple of years ago that some Muslim cleric declared that anyone who said the Earth revolved around the Sun (as opposed to the other way around) would be beheaded! I gather his more educated associates managed to reverse this decree, but it sums up the fundamentalist attitude towards science and knowledge. Knowledge is power, and while the fundamentalist religions block or frown upon access to scientific knowledge those religions will continue to survive.

When I was at university the handful of Muslim students there excluded themselves from the biology classes that delved into evolution and its mechanisms. Such knowledge was contrary to their beliefs.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:26 am

Religion is based on gullibility and religions will fall when there will be no gullible people left. Probably human life on Earth will end long before that occurs.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:32 am

No religion will fall to science because there are no end of dumb asses who will believe anything.

"Oh, I must drink the poisoned kool-aid because our saviors in the flying saucers are going to "beam us up" and take us to heaven.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 4:10 am

Sand wrote:
Religion is based on gullibility and religions will fall when there will be no gullible people left. Probably human life on Earth will end long before that occurs.

While gullibility is a factor I think it is somewhat simplistic to blame religion entirely on gullibility. Kids born into highly religious cultures stand little chance of escaping it, they are indoctrinated with it from birth. Often scientific knowledge is withheld and the people are discouraged from learning anything that could disagree with those religious beliefs or that disagrees with the established order. The kids may be quite rational and far from gullible in other respects, they are just brought up in a place where strong religious beliefs are endemic.

I view religion as a disease of the mind, it gets passed on from generation to generation. The spread and severity of infection depends very much on geographic location as to what strain of religion they suffer from. The problem of religion is further exacerbated due to those with power. They often hold some sort of religious rank. It is in their own personal interests to perpetuate the religion and withhold knowledge from the masses that would undermine the structure of their society and their positions of power within it. Anyone rocking the boat gets shunned, outcast or worse.

The average kid growing up in a fundamentalist religious environment is likely never to even hear the words "evolution", "big-bang", "cosmology" etc let alone be encouraged to explore knowledge, truth and ask questions for themselves. They grow up with an entirely different mind-set and pass on the same mind set to their own children perpetuating the cycle.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 4:26 am

The Baha'i faith. We are deeply rooted in the marriage of science and religion.

http://info.bahai.org/article-1-5-3-1.html

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 6:22 am

TallyMan wrote:
Sand wrote:

While gullibility is a factor I think it is somewhat simplistic to blame religion entirely on gullibility. Kids born into highly religious cultures stand little chance of escaping it, they are indoctrinated with it from birth. Often scientific knowledge is withheld and the people are discouraged from learning anything that could disagree with those religious beliefs or that disagrees with the established order. The kids may be quite rational and far from gullible in other respects, they are just brought up in a place where strong religious beliefs are endemic.

I view religion as a disease of the mind, it gets passed on from generation to generation. The spread and severity of infection depends very much on geographic location as to what strain of religion they suffer from. The problem of religion is further exacerbated due to those with power. They often hold some sort of religious rank. It is in their own personal interests to perpetuate the religion and withhold knowledge from the masses that would undermine the structure of their society and their positions of power within it. Anyone rocking the boat gets shunned, outcast or worse.

The average kid growing up in a fundamentalist religious environment is likely never to even hear the words "evolution", "big-bang", "cosmology" etc let alone be encouraged to explore knowledge, truth and ask questions for themselves. They grow up with an entirely different mind-set and pass on the same mind set to their own children perpetuating the cycle.

It depends upon how you define gullibility. If people never question their traditional doctrines then I would figure them gullible. There are enough obviously illogical contradictions within all religious doctrines to inspire sensible questions. That it is uncomfortable to question commonly acceptable beliefs I do not doubt since even scientific progress depends upon that but to do so attacks gullibility.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 10:05 am

Khan_Sama wrote:

Hey I forgot about you guys. Keep up the good work.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 10:57 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:

Hey I forgot about you guys. Keep up the good work.

Yeah, you look pretty good. It's a kind of deistic humanism, right?

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:14 am

Unitarian Universalism. We not only accept but welcome scientific advances as contributing to, not conflicting with, our knowledge of the world.

http://www.uua.org/visitors/6798.shtml

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu