Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Furantic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2010, 7:47 pm

Descartes wrote:
Why is the vast majority of Wiccans female? What is it about Wicca that seems to appeal more to females than males?

A possible explanation could be that witches used to be stereotyped as being females. However, there are sects within Wicca that are more oriented with the Goddess, such as Dianic. In addition, perhaps the idea that a Goddess as opposed to a God might have helped encourage females to join Wicca.
Of course, we are Pagans, so we don't have just one figure we worship, but multiple.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 11:43 pm

Furantic wrote:
Descartes wrote:
Why is the vast majority of Wiccans female? What is it about Wicca that seems to appeal more to females than males?

A possible explanation could be that witches used to be stereotyped as being females. However, there are sects within Wicca that are more oriented with the Goddess, such as Dianic. In addition, perhaps the idea that a Goddess as opposed to a God might have helped encourage females to join Wicca.
Of course, we are Pagans, so we don't have just one figure we worship, but multiple.

I was always under the impression it was because it's one of the few matriarchal belief systems. It's a goddess, not a god. The gender of the initial structure then defines the structure underneath it.

/all hail the goddess Eris

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson