Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2010, 6:35 am

Most of you have seen the classic 1980 movie, some of you may have even seen the even better 'Buster' Crabbe chapter Plays.

But how many of you have read the old Alex Raymond Comic Strips??????

I have, and they are by far the best version of 'Flash Gordon' EVER!! !! !!

You can say all you like about the fact the the prorayal of Ming as being recest (even though he's from Mongo and not China there is clearly meant to be a racesst meaning behind the charter) or that Dale is just a weekling (and that's only cos they've only seen Jean Rogers) only you be wrong as the REAL Dale Arden was very spunky and had guts.

Many was the time she saved the lives of Flash Gordon and the others, even though she did admittely cling to him all the time (unless they were having one of there many tiffs!)

Not to menchen the fact that it was at times very (for the time, and even now some seans still have the power to shock) villoint and had lots of sexy women!! !! !!

I hope that next time you cheer on what ou think is one of the nicet's guys that you'll ever hope to meet that you'll remember that when he first appered Flash was a spoied brat (the fact that he was meant to be a Yale Gradate and a Polo player should speak volumes about his charter, plus there was his temper that he had as well, happly however this was mostly dierected at the bad guys....)

Nowhere was Ming more Evil! (save perhaps the 9 issue DC verision from 1989) with his many horrorfic and sadtic ways of inflicting pain and death.

not to menchen the fact that his appece was dammed frecky

So then I hope that I have wetted your interrst in this gem as you can still get it in repint form (I got my ones thanks the the 7 Volume Cheeker enditions from a few years back)

Goodbye Till, Next Time

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 7:14 am

I read it as it appeared in the newspapers back in the 1930's. Nicely done if rather bad science fiction. The art was top quality as Raymond was a great artist. I worked for a very short period for Dan Barry who was also a very good artist and who handled the strip around 1950. I did no artwork but wrote a couple of sequences.

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2010, 8:38 am

Wow you wrote for Flash Gordon?

Anyway I just remembered that there is a very fathful (to the Alex Raymond Strip) Flash Gordon film called 'Flash Gordon the Greatest Adventure of All' up on you tube

It was made by Filmation (oddly enoth as it's quite villont) shortly before their 1979-1980 series however it was shown only once on U.S. TV (belatedly in 1982) thanks to the refences ti Ming Helping Hitler out in WW2!

It is however very good and I'm sure that you'll all enjoy it.

Go see!

Goodbye till next time.