Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

monitodelmonte
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2010, 8:59 pm

i wonder if cloister monks have a markedly higher percentage of members within the asperger spectrum than the average population... i bet they do...

i have always felt strongly drawn toward spirituality and contemplation, any one else in that direction here?

i would like to meet aspies who are into meditation and yoga...

monitodelmonte

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2010, 9:06 pm

I couldn't handle the rigid discipline.

Although I have rigid and repetitive behaviors, they are all on my terms not what I would be expected to do in a place like that.

I would melt down during the first hours long prayer marathon.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 10:35 pm

To be honest, Ive thought of becoming a monk once, mostly of the druidic type XD

Sadly I dont think I could deal with the oaths of silence. Oaths of celibacy I think I would have no problem with.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

roboticalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2010, 10:36 pm

I'm a cloyster monk.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 11:27 pm

monitodelmonte wrote:
i wonder if cloister monks have a markedly higher percentage of members within the asperger spectrum than the average population... i bet they do...

i have always felt strongly drawn toward spirituality and contemplation, any one else in that direction here?

i would like to meet aspies who are into meditation and yoga...

monitodelmonte

I have absolutely opined the same - - of course, I have no idea except for maybe anecdotal evidence. I think an Aspie being a cloistered monk, or even a nun, would be highly likely.

When I was really little I met a young adult whom I SO MUCH liked and he was very memorable for me. Strangely, he really liked me and always paid attention to me and was so much fun. When I was really little I hardly noticed anybody so he was really special to me and just different somehow. Later I learned he had joined a monastery in Europe and I am not surprised since he had so much discipline and perspective. I cannot know if he was an Aspie, but he and I did have a kinship despite our age difference.

Not sure if related, but I met a priest (and fairly recently) who was quite old. I wrote (not spoke) to answer him (scenario was a bit unusual) - he was the best! I cannot help but notice that he and I had so much in common, like I just don't find in others. Oh, I am not Catholic either. I am highly analytical. But our personality and way of being, even our interests. He said he rarely finds another that seems to 'understand' him and he had wonders about his own......Aspieness? But he's never told anyone. Curious.

Anyway, monitodelmonte, I think your pursuit would be very worthwhile and to your advantage. I believe there are at least a few Aspie's who are in spiritual positions on the Wrong Planet. In fact, I am thinking of 2 or 3 right now. One teaches the Alexander Method and I think there's a rabbi.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 11:40 pm

I consider becoming a clostered nun on occasion.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 12:27 am

I am a teacher of the Alexander Technique and fully trained Spiritual Director (much prefer the tittle Spiritual Guide) Working at Westminster Cathedral and in the east-end of London with people living on the margins of society.

There is a very rich history of 'direction' within the Christian contemplative tradition, and this experience is almost completely centred around what we call 'contemplative listening'........listening with the heart, in silence with another.

In this experience I can feel completely attuned to others, which is in stark contrast to how I can feel in conventional social situations.........consequently my eye contact is free of all neurological restraints.

I am equally left and right brained, which contributes to me being very contemplative orientated.

Throughout history there have been many men and women in the spectrum called to live the contemplative life.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 1:24 am

^ There's our criss! So happy you picked up this thread as I wrote only extemporanously and you'd be far better to answer. To brag a bit about criss....he's got an extraordinary website that you may find very interesting. Thank you criss.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 1:54 am

Thank you Lab Pet......
I am very touched by yr kind words.

Wishing you and everyone well from a speeding
train heading to Norwich from London.

PS....will be holding you all 'in the
light' in Julian of Norwich's cell in a
couple of hours.

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 4:33 am

I often think about ordaining, and I may well do it one day.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 11:41 am

I have considered this myself. To those of you in the clergy, or in spiritual positions, how do you feel about the relating with others required by those positions? How welcoming have the church hierarchies been to you, if they are aware of your diagnosis? I have actually thought until I saw this that my sense that I am called to serve the church in some way might belie the possibility of being on the spectrum (and conversely, feared that if I got a diagnosis I would be forbidden from serving), but it is very interesting to see that that is NOT the case for some of you.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 1:05 pm

Hi SoSayWeAll

I come from a Catholic background where I have had the privilege of meeting some of the most radical theologians and deeply wise contemplatives.

However, I would say my true home is now found within the Quaker fraternity, simply because politically and theologically I have grown to be odds with the church, and feel the non-hierarcal and non-judgemental environment created by the Quakers a real breath of fresh air........by the way, in my local meeting in Westminster we have 5 Aspies in regular attendance.

monitodelmonte
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2010, 2:32 pm

wow, thanks for the positive replies!

i was living in a tibetan buddhist cloister for some years. there i discovered i only needed very little exposure to other human beings to feel emotionally okay, maybe about 5 minutes per day (this was before i was diagnosed as being within the asperger's spectrum). like Molecular Biologist, I too had problems with externally imposed rules. when i was able to lead my own discipline in the privacy of my own cell, then things started working better for me.

currently i am teaching meditation and yoga and i have a very beautiful relationship with my students... spiritual life and meditation has made my empathy toward others grow.

like LabPet, i also work at a research lab... somehow i see contemporary researchers and scholars as the cloister monks/nuns of today...

i will be in london in sept. and would be interested in attending the meetings at the "Westminster Cathedral and in the east-end of London with people living on the margins of society" with Chris, if possible.

Last edited by monitodelmonte on 02 Aug 2010, 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 4:16 pm

it would be good to meet you.

I am very interested to hear more
and I would be delighted to
introduce you to my Quaker meeting
and my work in the east-end.

Do PM me re meeting

Chris

monitodelmonte
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2010, 6:05 pm

criss wrote:
it would be good to meet you.

I am very interested to hear more
and I would be delighted to
introduce you to my Quaker meeting
and my work in the east-end.

Do PM me re meeting

Chris

thanks! :)

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 5:05 pm

I thought about doing the cistercian monk thing. Where else could I never get fired for being quiet?