Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 10:46 am

Has anyone played this game? I'm completely addicted to it! :D

This is the most amazing game I've ever played. For those who don't know what it is, it's a Post-Apocalyptic Sandbox RPG set in an Alternate Universe where America stayed in the 1950's era until the world ended by nuclear war. It's a game with a fully-explorable world that pretty much lets you do whatever you want. You have bombed-out ruins to explore and scavange valuable junk, human settlements to trade and sometimes find a house it, and mutants and psycho humans to kill.

You can also play a Good, Evil, or Nuetral character depending on the choices you make. For some reason I tend to favor an evil character. :twisted: :twisted:

I name my character after myself and try to make him look exactly like me, except I sometimes change his hair and dye it funky colors. My character is kind of a shady manipulative guy who wears cool clothes like the Naughty Nightwear (a leapord-skin sleepwear) and Lucky Sunglasses. He's not much of a fighter, but he uses his words to get what he wants and has a Slave Bodyguard named Clover who protects him. He lives in the luxurious Tenpenny Tower Suite after blowing up Megaton and has a lot of caps, and his house is decorated in the Pre-War theme. His main weapon of choice is the Zhu-Rong v418 Chinese Pistol which shoots fire rounds. 8)

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 11:01 am

I enjoy this game, but the lack of ammo irritates me.

Maialideth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2010, 11:11 am

Fallout: New Vegas is released in October... looks to be really awesome. If you're a fan of Fallout 3, then New Vegas is a must-have.

aldent88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2010, 12:57 pm

I've been playing for awhile,but unfortunately for me, due to an arguement I got in with the people I use to live with(mother and stepfather) my 360 is now demolished. None of it is left over. Meaning I'd have to buy a new Arcade plus a new HDD(the Slims have been reported having to many red dots for now for me to get one yet) to play F3 and the countless other games I have on 360(with my father now)

So yeah....I'm missing F3 and L4D peeps with each passing second, and right now, I'm in between jobs. Meaning no Netflix or PSN+ either =(

Speaking of Fallout though.....meh at New Vegas. It looks cool and all and I'll probably get it, but from what I saw yesterday on a re-run of X-Play(was watching Cops or something and fell asleep, woke up to X-Play) it doesn't look like Bethesda made too much of an improvement on graphics. Maybe slightly, but not the rehaul it needed IMO.

I'm SOOOO ready for Metroid: Other M though. Looks sweet!! !

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 1:35 pm

I got the New Vegas Collector's Edition on preorder!

After summer finals this week, I'm finally gonna finish the main plot and broken steel. Then I guess I'll play point lookout until my trip to Vegas... :twisted:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 1:39 pm

Ferdinand wrote:

Once you build the Rock-It Launcher EVERYTHING is ammo! :twisted:

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 1:40 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:

Once you build the Rock-It Launcher EVERYTHING is ammo! :twisted:

THAT is so much fun.

Maialideth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2010, 1:53 pm

If you go to National Guard Depot or Fort Constantine you'll be able to stock up on so much ammo and awesome weapons that you'll be set for a very long time.

To get the best stuff in National Guard Depot you need a passcode which you can find by listening to audio logs found around the Wasteland.
In Fort Constantine you can find the best armor in the game.

If you find the alien blaster gun somewhere in the Wasteland, you'll be able to kill almost anything with one shot. Though ammo for it is extremely limited.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 3:28 pm

Ferdinand wrote:

Ammo for the big guns goes fast, but I always end up selling ordinary ammo by the hyperspace-arsenal load. ^^ Energy weapons are pretty good if you're not using VATS, especially the plasma pistol (reasonably fast firing, hard hitting) and laser rifle (accurate)...

...but paralysing palm is funnier, at least until you get tired of seeing Deathclaws lying on the ground confused while you pummel them. :)

The year is still young.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 3:54 pm

Once you strip away the fancy graphics engine of Fallout 3 - Fallout 1 and 2 actually had:

* for starters - far better cinematic introduction sequences
* far better art direction
* astronomically better writing and more believable motives
* far more non-linearity in the world
* tremendously much more depth in world's reaction to your actions and stats
* better combat
* better voice acting (with NPCs that were voice-acted)
* multiple solutions to a problem (kill Radscorpions in the cave or blow it up with explosives; fight the boss for the hostage or challenge him to an arm-wrestling match, etc)
* more sophisticated quest/adventure engine: Fallout 3 can't handle the following types of scenarios from previous games:
1) in the middle of talking with a sheriff, an assassin runs in and tries to kill him. You may or may not interfere.
2) you wake up in a hotel to a raider holding a girl hostage, and you can kill him or just wound him. If you wound him, the girl yells at you but you tell her he'll be okay and she calms down.
3) you have to stalk corridors of a Vault to find a thief, and threaten them

etc etc.

Fallout3 became popular because it took the franchise to the consoles and brought it to the new generation of gamers. Unfortunately, it dumbed down the result and mangled it beyond all recognition. The spirit of original Fallout still lives in those games from the late 90s, and no game since has managed to capture that feeling of being inside an alternate, living world.

Maialideth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2010, 4:11 pm

Whoopie for you. That doesn't change the fact that Fallout 3 is a great game.

I'd challenge you on your claims, but I'm sick to death of people who cannot allow other people to enjoy the things they like without saying something else is better.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 4:18 pm

How many people love the companions in this game? I think they're very fun to have around and for having some company while exploring the Wasteland.

My favorite is the slave bodyguard named Clover that you can buy from Eulogy Jones. I've always liked the psychotic brainwashed bodyguards owned by evil rich guys such as Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill. How they're completely loyal to their masters and will do anything to protect them, and get sadistic pleasure out of killing and always seem to be bored when they have nothing to kill.

I like dressing Clover in different outfits, glasses, and hats and experimenting with different weapons to give her. I think she looks the most cool using the Double Barrel Shotgun from Point Lookout while dressed in a white business suit with sunglasses and a Chinese Commando's Hat. I also give her the Shishkebab for melee since it's the only other melee she'll use besides her sword.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

Maialideth wrote:
Whoopie for you. That doesn't change the fact that Fallout 3 is a great game.

I'd challenge you on your claims, but I'm sick to death of people who cannot allow other people to enjoy the things they like without saying something else is better.

I cannot prohibit anyone from enjoying anything. However you can't prohibit me from spreading awareness about the related titles.

Facebook does this all the time - "You like Fallout. You may like Mass Effect 2". I'm just doing it in reverse chronological order. "You like Fallout 3. You may like Fallout 1/2 a fuсkton more, and here's why".

That is all.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 5:05 pm

I bought and played Fallouts 1 and 2 before Fallout 3 came out, in preparation. That's how I roll.

I like them all, but for very different reasons. However, I'm more likely to replay 1 and 2.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 5:47 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
How many people love the companions in this game?

I find them annoying because their pathing isn't good enough to keep up with me. Maybe I play too much of an acrobat. :)

The year is still young.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 6:16 pm

The only companion I used was Dogmeat, with a mod to make him an essential NPC and another mod that gave him some leather dog armour (that I crafted), a pack on his back (that I could use for item storage), and a whistle that would summon him from anywhere on the map.