Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:24 am

Has anyone seen the delightful, little animation film titled, "Mary and Max?" I saw this film on the Sundance Channel on television and it caught my attention by the medium the creator chose using "cartoon" charactors but still done in a tactful, sensitive and rather amusing manner. As the story line progresses, halfway into the film, it is revealed that "Max" has Asperger's Syndrome...

I don't remember the film creator but, it is a film very well done...

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:00 pm

I like the scene in which he wears the t-shirt "Aspies for Freedom".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 3:59 pm

A friend recently brought Marry and Max over for my wife and I to watch. It's definitely a must see for Aspies.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 10:28 pm

I saw it at Best Buy today and considered buying it but I was afraid it was just more sterotypes. The fact that Max is obese and agorophobic didn't impress me much. Why can't someone make a fantasy movie with an AS character? And WHY, WHY does every AS movie have to have a love story to it (why is any movie that comes out these days practicaly a love story?

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2010, 2:04 pm

The think the description on the DVD might be confusing. Max is not the one with agoraphobia-- it's another character. And this really isn't a love story-- it's about friendship. If there is any romantic love, it isn't between the main characters.

This movie is available for streaming on Netflix, which is how I just watched it. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not. I found it to be a little bit pointlessly depressing as random horrible things keep happening to the poor protagonists. The writer and director of the film based Max on his own long-term penpal, so the exaggerated portrayal of Aspergers does ring true. I liked Max's acceptance of himself and rejection of the idea of a cure. But I did not like the way it failed to show any variation on a life worth living-- only people who betray Max or Mary have any shot at happiness. I felt pitied and condescended to by this movie. That's not something I need.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 2:27 pm

The movie is depressing and has a rather dark sense of humour, and is defiantly for a mature audience despite the cartoonish look of the film. I really didn't understand the ending of it. What is the movie trying to show me, other then give me depression?

AspergerGamer64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2013, 12:17 pm

this film made my cry tears and Adam Elliot did a very well good job

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2013, 10:33 am

I watched this on Netflix some weeks ago because it was claymation, but it was very depressing and left an bad impression on me for about a week. The storyline was almost too true to life, if it were not claymation it is something I would not have watched at all.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 5:26 pm

xMistrox wrote:
I watched this on Netflix some weeks ago because it was claymation, but it was very depressing and left an bad impression on me for about a week. The storyline was almost too true to life, if it were not claymation it is something I would not have watched at all.

To be sure, it's hardly a feel good movie.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer