Could guys really be avoiding me due to this?

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 10:06 am

blue_bean wrote:
Some guy from my hometown was talking to me tonight on MSN and he's given me a complex now which I can't seem to shake off.

Quote:
Alterego: this is probably fairly offensive, but why dont you have 3 kids?
amelia: Am I supposed to have 3 kids by now?
Alterego: a girl from [place redacted] with a brain who doesnt have 3 kids is pretty rare
Alterego: your out and about in the cbd, you should realise these things
amelia: well colour me oblivious!
amelia: there must be a catch with me somewhere
amelia: like, I have 4 arms or something
Alterego: exactly
Alterego: good looking
Alterego: job
Alterego: there must be a catch

I haven't been getting many replies on the dating website I'm on.

Could guys be avoiding me because I seem to be too good to be true? I mean, they see that I don't have these things like "normal" women my age have (3 kids & a centrelink payment) and assume there must be something wrong with me? There is a catch: thought I'm not diagnosed with AS, I certainly am different and behind with a lot of things. Should I somehow address this in my profile?

Like others have said, do not add AS. First your not diagnosed, so what if you meet a guy, they 'think' you have AS and later on it turns out to be something else.

BUT yes, depending what all is on your 'profile' you could come off as not 'the perfect catch' but 'what is the catch'.
Couple years ago 'friends' did up profiles for a bunch of us, and they thought it would be a great idea to do mine because I do not fit the
typical profile. They wanted a wide range of possibilities, but also more that suited the demographics for where we all lived. The responses to some of the profiles were very interesting to read.

I have no idea where your located, so no clue on the demographics.

I would suggest you read other women's profiles, from the area your in and compare the differences.
When they did that with mine, the differences between the sexes/genders were very interesting. I read it, it sounded like me, I oked them to use it.. and it turned out sounding like more then half of the men on the site when they gathered info.

Couple months of gathering responses they took it from 'on-line', to 'off-line' and more information gathering at the campus, malls and couple other places.
They printed them out, removed our 'names' and 'sex/gender' and added a number. Individuals would go through the pile of printed profiles
and would mark down who they thought would be interesting and if they would respond to the 'profile'.

Some of us that had been part of the 'profile' group ended up picking our own 'profiles'.
There was a new insight for many of us to look at and I think they should expand on it and publish the results.
Now if someone would just do that with the 'code speak' that would be awesome.

What is cbd?

Ichinin wrote:
To some, you may sound too good to be true, but if you lived in Sweden, you sound like you'd be yet another girl living on her own with a career too busy for a relationship. Like most of them :P

Demographics.. unfortunately we don't all live where we would be best suited for that.

Erisad wrote:
(One guy that was into clinical psychology who probably wanted to befriend me as a thesis topic or something)

lol.. ummm sociologist sometimes do that as well. So don't think it is just psychologist. :wink:

OP, just make your interest clear, and don't sell yourself short, but don't over sell.
If your really interested in why they think you should have pushed out 3+ babies by 1+ men, look up the stats.
Depending where you live, you might be 10-12 years late at having your first kid.

Sadly you could get caught into another trap..
your too independent, too self-reliant and too smart for 'your own good'. Know what I mean ;)

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

KaiG wrote:
He's expressing surprise that you don't have some kind of major flaw, like having 3 kids. To him, you seem too good to be true, and he feels that Sod's Law should be overcompensating for how awesome you seem by making you come with major baggage. He was complimenting you in a manner that simultaneously expresses an ironic dissatisfaction with the dating scene in your/his area.

oh, that's quite insightful....hehe, wow, I took it very literally. lol Duh.

Blue_bean, I think KaiG is right.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

happymusic wrote:
I think he's a fluke, honestly. Is he very young? Because I imagine a guy of about 30 or so wouldn't have a problem with a 26yo without kids. It just seems like a sort of uninformed thing to say.

I am totally baffled. lol

He's 32 and a fellow accountant, hence why he messaged me in the first place. He thought we had a lot in common. I don't think he has a problem with kids, just that he has no choice but to date a single mum until "rarities" like me come along.

He seems like a bit of a negative nancy anyway. I've already been in a relationship with one of those.

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 10:09 am

KaiG wrote:
He's expressing surprise that you don't have some kind of major flaw, like having 3 kids. To him, you seem too good to be true, and he feels that Sod's Law should be overcompensating for how awesome you seem by making you come with major baggage. He was complimenting you in a manner that simultaneously expresses an ironic dissatisfaction with the dating scene in your/his area.

<3 'Sod's Law', sounds much better then the other relative. :wink:

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:12 am

KaiG wrote:

But I do come with major baggage :P

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:23 am

He is interested but intimidated. He has to feel he has some power over you to feel comfortable with himself. So he is looking for flaws.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:26 am

Sounds like he's just flirting. Your response (4 arms joke) was just right.

No such thing as 'too good' :)

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:42 am

blue_bean wrote:
KaiG wrote:

But I do come with major baggage :P

I imagine everyone does. The trick is hiding it until they like you too much to care.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:43 am

nope, guys must be avoiding you due to something else, I can't tell what it is though.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:09 am

curlyfry wrote:
He is interested but intimidated. He has to feel he has some power over you to feel comfortable with himself. So he is looking for flaws.

Oh, that's interesting, too.

As for him being negative - yeah, that would be a deal breaker for me, too.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:15 am

Tiggurix wrote:
Wouldn't it be worth it anyway if you really did fit with her? Besides, children bring colour into your life, or so I've heard, and you can always add your own later, so the more the merrier! :)

Depends on what colours you get. Someone elses kids also bring their own emotional baggage from whatever screwed up situation their Mom was in before. Not everybody wants to spend the next fifteen or so years of their life playing armchair psychologist and trying to figure out and fix what's wrong with Junior.

Its one thing to be responsible for the interpersonal dynamics you've created yourself - to take on the enigmatic Rubik's Cube of psychoses created by others when you weren't even present to see what happened, is just a daunting task. Its a relationship killer.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:36 am

Surya wrote:
Erisad wrote:
(One guy that was into clinical psychology who probably wanted to befriend me as a thesis topic or something)

lol.. ummm sociologist sometimes do that as well. So don't think it is just psychologist. :wink:

Well, he has clinical psychology on his profile. This guy also has a brother on the spectrum so that's why he called my mind "fascinating." I'm not sure if I liked the tone. I'm a person, not an experiment.

Oh well. I have another lead going right now. We're already planning a date for when I go back to school. It'll be easier since my mother won't even know. :)

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 11:42 am

Erisad wrote:
Oh well. I have another lead going right now. We're already planning a date for when I go back to school. It'll be easier since my mother won't even know. :)

Congratulations! :D

How long have you known him?

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:47 am

Tiggurix wrote:
Erisad wrote:

We met on an online dating site and have been chatting quite a bit for the past week. We're really clicking and he asked me out (first time that's ever happened!). He said it's cool if I have friends with me, so he's gonna meet them too. I think that will make for a more relaxed environment. We're both into the Renaissance so I'm bringing him to a Ren Club meeting after grabbing a bite to eat on campus and we'll probably go to the Rennie's little hangout/bar afterwards. Hopefully things will work out. Now I have more reason to be excited to go back to school. :)

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2010, 11:50 am

Erisad wrote:
Tiggurix wrote:
Erisad wrote:

We met on an online dating site and have been chatting quite a bit for the past week. We're really clicking and he asked me out (first time that's ever happened!). He said it's cool if I have friends with me, so he's gonna meet them too. I think that will make for a more relaxed environment. We're both into the Renaissance so I'm bringing him to a Ren Club meeting after grabbing a bite to eat on campus and we'll probably go to the Rennie's little hangout/bar afterwards. Hopefully things will work out. Now I have more reason to be excited to go back to school. :)

Great to hear! I hope it will go really well for you two! :D

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 12:23 pm

Erisad wrote:
Surya wrote:
Erisad wrote:

Well, he has clinical psychology on his profile. This guy also has a brother on the spectrum so that's why he called my mind "fascinating." I'm not sure if I liked the tone. I'm a person, not an experiment.

errmm.. Erisad.. just because a person says they find your mind 'fascination' it doesn't have to be bad thing, or an experiment.
I am not attracted to the 'stereotypical', yea know, money, looks... but if the person has a 'fascinating' mind they have a better chance of
catching my interest. If that person has a fascinating mind that can expand from one subject to another completely unconnected to the first
then that is just plain sexy to me.

So sometimes, being told you have a fascinating mind, may be a good thing ;)

lol.. congrats on the 'lead' .. sorry I read that and think reporter sniffing out a tip for a hot topic/story.