Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:16 pm

So I have this shirt:
I've worn it to school a few times, and then worn it to my friend's house and to one aspie outing. When I wore it to school one time, I heard a girl in my French class say after looking at me, "so that's why she acts so strange all the time". I consider that to be the type of reaction I would expect, a positive outcome. I'm still trying to decide where it would be appropriate to wear this shirt, and where it wouldn't.

Where would YOU wear a shirt like this, if you had one? What are the risks of such shameless self-disclosure?

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 08 Aug 2010, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:21 pm

I find the shirt clever. I probably wouldn't wear it though.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 10:28 pm

Nice shirt. Wish I had one.

I'd probably wear it at some sort of Aspie gathering, but I wouldn't wear it all the time, as I don't like binging attention to myself.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:30 pm

Cool idea for a shirt!

I personally wouldn't wear it either though, cuz I despise math and I also don't like to draw attention to who/what I am. Same reason I don't wear rainbow stuff.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:11 pm

That's a clever idea, for a shirt. :idea:

I would prefer to wear a T-shirt, that's related to one of my special interests.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:28 pm

I'd probably wear it at least once a week. :wink:

Where'd you find it? Cafepress?

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 11:29 pm

It's clever and all, but most everyone now has their own idea (complete with misconceptions) of what Aspergers' is. It seems like wearing it would be far too risky -- after all, it's not easy to gauge what one's response to Aspergers' is.

Possibly if the "A" were an alpha, the "S" were a sigma, and the "E" were an epsilon. But then, there are enough Math/physics/CS majors (myself included) at my university that we all know even the most obscure letters of the Greek alphabet.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2010, 11:35 pm

Well I like it. It's a witty play on words which is more than I can say for these other ridiculous shirts out there, plus it's original/different. :)

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:48 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Where would YOU wear a shirt like this, if you had one? What are the risks of such shameless self-disclosure?
I want to get a shirt kind of like that, but am waiting for an occasion to reward myself with it. I would wear when I went shopping or wandering around. I am not worried about what people might think. It will be fun to see reactions from some of the cashiers I regularly see.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:13 am

I think it would be like a target or "kick me" sign to people. I'm even wary of labling my service animal an autism service animal because I'm afraid it will attract stigma. I'm with Cockney Rebel, ALL of my shirts have something to do with my special intrests.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:48 am

MathGirl wrote:
So I have this shirt:
I've worn it to school a few times, and then worn it to my friend's house and to one aspie outing. When I wore it to school one time, I heard a girl in my French class say after looking at me, "so that's why she acts so strange all the time". I consider that to be the type of reaction I would expect, a positive outcome. I'm still trying to decide where it would be appropriate to wear this shirt, and where it wouldn't.

I think I'll get one made.

It's great.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:18 am

I would wear it anywhere that isn't formal. Most no one around here would know what an aspie is, so it would be much less likely that they would get it with the pi symbol thrown in. I've thought of getting some similar shirts but I also don't like to draw attention to myself as someone else said.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:20 am

awesome shirt :)

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2010, 1:34 am

I really like the shirt, but wouldn't blatantly wear it out in public and attract unneeded and unnecessary attention. I would wear it to an aspie gathering though.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:27 am

Cheeseroyale34 wrote:
I really like the shirt, but wouldn't blatantly wear it out in public and attract unneeded and unnecessary attention. I would wear it to an aspie gathering though.

I'm not sure how many people (worldwide) would actually make the link to Asperger's (unless they were Aspies themselves)

The first thing I noticed was 'Pi' and so it's possible that the following groups might be drawn to it;

- Russians
- Greeks
- Mathematicians
- People who like puzzles (which would include a large number of Aspies of course :wink: )

But.............I do love this shirt 8)

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 2:30 am

I'd probably try it out, if I didn't get any positive comments on it it would probably end up back in my closet next to my dress shirts.