Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KansasFound
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2010, 7:55 am

I wrote on my blog today about how different I feel when I am up in the middle of the night. The story can be found at http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blog ... night.html but if you don't want to read the whole thing I will say that I feel much more active when no one else in the house is up. Processing all the noise when others are around is tiring, but in the middle of the night I only have my thoughts without interference from other.

My blog: http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com

Author of Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome www.findingkansas.com

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:27 am

I have always gottten up a few hours earlier than my husband for the same reason.

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2010, 8:30 am

Thanks for writing this. I am often best able to do creative work in the middle of the night. Even though I live by myself, there is still a lot of activity going on during the day, and sometimes I feel like my thought get crowded out by what's going on with other people.

aleutianrocks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2010, 8:34 am

I dont know if this is what you meant...but....yes, I have noticed a cosmic difference in my mood according to time of day regardless of where in the world I am (once I've adjusted to local time, of course).

Between 3am and 6 or 7 am everything seems wrong, bleak, etc. All I generally do at these times is second guess myself and generally get waaayyyyy too introspective. I've learned to "ignore myself" during those hours.

I am "high" as in most energetic and upbeat between about 9p and 1 or 2 am. Always have been.

I am somewhere between high and neutral most of the rest of the day...or, perhaps more accurately, I am most rational during those hours. Then again, I also feel more adrift and have a less solid sense of self during those hours.

Hmmm...good post. I've often wondered whether or not other people ever noticed anything like this/what you have posted....I wish more people would reply....

criss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:42 am

will check this out later...thankx

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:47 am

I'm always up, around 4 in the morning. I feel more at ease, and I don't hear any noises, except for the songs on YouTube, and the clicking of my Wii.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 9:17 am

I can understand the concept, but I find it hard to get my sleep during the day (light issue). Granted, when i was living alone (and going through depression), I managed about 14-16 hours of sleep a day. Was the only time I managed to get 4+ hours of sleep during daytime.

KansasFound

10 Aug 2010, 11:58 am

PlatedDrake wrote:
I can understand the concept, but I find it hard to get my sleep during the day (light issue). Granted, when i was living alone (and going through depression), I managed about 14-16 hours of sleep a day. Was the only time I managed to get 4+ hours of sleep during daytime.

I didn't have light issues because I sleep in a nice, dark, basement. In 2000 I went to Alaska and the sun was out 23.5 hours of the day and I don't think I got more than 3 hours of sleep at a time. In fact, now, I can't sleep if there is the slightest of lights on.

Author of Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome www.findingkansas.com

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2010, 5:16 pm

You're basically just asking who else is nocturnal, I made a topic about that some months back that has become quite lengthy:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt128933.html

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 5:19 pm

I definately work best in the early hours of the morning, but I don't really know why.

I also seem to think best when I'm in the shower. Can anyone explain that?

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:24 pm

I'm a night owl, but I also tend to get more depressed the longer I stay up.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:26 pm

KaiG wrote:
I definately work best in the early hours of the morning, but I don't really know why.

I also seem to think best when I'm in the shower. Can anyone explain that?

I would imagine your mind is more relaxed at those times so you're thinking is more effective.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:28 pm

Yes, I feel a lot better when it is about 3 AM and nobody in my house is awake. I don't really know why. There's not much sensory input, I know.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:30 pm

KansasFound wrote:
PlatedDrake wrote:

I didn't have light issues because I sleep in a nice, dark, basement. In 2000 I went to Alaska and the sun was out 23.5 hours of the day and I don't think I got more than 3 hours of sleep at a time. In fact, now, I can't sleep if there is the slightest of lights on.

This reminds me of a problem I used to encounter when my husband's office was next to the bedroom and he would work until late into the night while I slept. I would wake up because something on my skin was irritating me and I'd look to see the light from his room shining across my legs. If I covered up I'd sleep fine. Weird, huh?

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 8:34 pm

Yeah, I think I noticed it too.

In terms of creativity, most of the melodies I've written (not that much, but quite a few) end up being after midnight. I recall one night, after 1-2 am, I went up to my keyboard, and just started playing my own song - improvising, but not in a solo-kind of way, but basically just... playing, and it sounded good. It wasn't mindless, I had an idea of the music theory and stuff behind it, but a lot of it just came faster and more naturally.

Ticks me off, since I have to go to bed near that. I think it might be my medication, but I can't sleep after 9am anymore. After that I'm stuck awake, so to get enough sleep I can't stay up that late.

I'm usually the last one to go to bed (my family knows this pretty well), and when everyone else is asleep and it's late, I usually feel the best. Sucks that I can't keep that up as long anymore...

KansasFound

10 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

Variant wrote:
You're basically just asking who else is nocturnal, I made a topic about that some months back that has become quite lengthy:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt128933.html

Nocturnal may be a possibility, but I have noticed that, at least for me, the difference is the sensory around me. I get to the office I work at at 7 in the morning to have those first two hours be tranquil and devoid of constant noise and is very much like the feeling I get when I am alone at night.

After the three concussion I had from 2005-2007 I most certainly could have been labeled nocturnal, or perhaps a insomniac as I had serious sleep issues and at least three times a month I'd be up for over 40 hours straight. Those were not fun times!