I've been scammed out of $27K

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 12:05 pm

I feel horrible and stupid. I've lost $27K to an internet scammer who gained my trust over a period of a couple years. I worked hard to save that money, and I can't even begin to convey the despair I'm feeling right now. I feel like killing myself. I keep telling myself that I'm lucky because I could have lost a lot more (and would have, if it wasn't for what I now see was a fortunate coincidence) but it doesn't help a lot.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sionis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2010, 12:21 pm

How did you end up falling for giving up $27 K to someone you know on the internet?

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 12:32 pm

Sionis wrote:
How did you end up falling for giving up $27 K to someone you know on the internet?

Because I am a foolish, stupid person.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm

Give us some more information. Someone might know a way you can do something about it.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

deadeyexx wrote:
Give us some more information. Someone might know a way you can do something about it.

I will, just a little later. Right now I want to try to calm down a bit. I posted just because I want some sympathy.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

alexptrans wrote:
I feel horrible and stupid. I've lost $27K to an internet scammer who gained my trust over a period of a couple years. I worked hard to save that money, and I can't even begin to convey the despair I'm feeling right now. I feel like killing myself. I keep telling myself that I'm lucky because I could have lost a lot more (and would have, if it wasn't for what I now see was a fortunate coincidence) but it doesn't help a lot. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sionis wrote:
Because I am a foolish, stupid person.

How did it happen? Maybe there is something you could do to either get the money back or to bring the person to justice, or at the very least, by telling us, get it off your chest and warn people here of how this sort of thing works, what this sort of thing looks like, because it must have looked pretty credible for you to give someone that much money.

PS. You have my sympathy. I think I can imagine how awful you feel, how much you must be kicking yourself, etc. Horrible. I've never had anywhere near that sort of money to give away, but on a small scale I have been scammed before, and felt very exposed, horribly abused, etc, before getting angry.

Last edited by ouinon on 12 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baos
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2010, 12:51 pm

I'd like to hear more on how that happened. There are resources available to help you in those matters.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:15 pm

More information required.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:35 pm

It may take a little time to reconstruct how it happened if someone took that much time to gain your trust. I understand how you must feel. You can come back from this, however. I have known people who have literally lost everything due to an addiction and have been able to survive. Life will be very different for a while and even though it's easy to beat yourself up about it, the best thing to do is take it day by day and step by step. I was engaged to someone who cleaned me out, so I know how awful this feels.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:52 pm

Thank you all. I will definitely post more details when I feel more up to it.

bewarethebob
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 2:23 pm

the bank can help, and sometimes even friends with hacking skillz

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 2:50 pm

I'm sorry about your loss. :(

ellomo
Raven
Raven

12 Aug 2010, 3:35 pm

alexptrans wrote:
I feel horrible and stupid. I've lost $27K to an internet scammer who gained my trust over a period of a couple years. I worked hard to save that money, and I can't even begin to convey the despair I'm feeling right now. I feel like killing myself. I keep telling myself that I'm lucky because I could have lost a lot more (and would have, if it wasn't for what I now see was a fortunate coincidence) but it doesn't help a lot.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I was 'stupid' a few years ago and lost a substantial amount more than that. All I can tell you is over time I've come to realize it was just one of those expensive lessons in life we have to learn sometimes unfortunately. (That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger). I thought I was an idiot when it happened but the truth is I just made a mistake. I'm alot wiser for the experience now.

Peace ellomo

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2010, 3:39 pm

:? :x :(

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 3:58 pm

That sucks. Some people have no moral standards and are just plain bad people. Since this took a couple years to gain your trust, I also imagine you feel like you were betrayed by a friend,which hurts even more.
You are not alone. Fraud comes in all sizes from wall street, to alters, to the pan handler on the corner. Fraud is not racist, nor care if you are family, friend, or foe. If you have money, these people will target you. It is like rape. It is not your fault, it is 100% theirs.

You can get past this, and possibly prosecute

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 4:05 pm

It is a horrible thing to be a victim of someone else's fraud, all the moreso because of the betrayal of trust that is involved.

I hope that you will come around to the point where you feel confident enough to file a complaint with the police, and your bank, and to see if something can be done to make right the wrong that has been done to you.