Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

amadahy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2010, 3:28 pm

Hello!

I've been reading quite a bit about Aspergers and it puts too many pieces of my puzzle together for me to really argue with anymore. I took an online version of the Autism Spectrum Quotant and received a 40 (is said most aspies score about 35). It was online so I'm still hesitant to say officially I'm an aspie. I've been seeing a psychologist, but she does not have experience with autism/aspergers. My questions are do you feel that an official diagnosis is necessary? Have you had any issues with insurance companies not covering adult aspergers? Is the official diagnosis worth the effort it takes to find someone who specialized in autism spectrum (I live in the very much countryside of Illinois).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 4:08 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :D

I haven't had any issues myself, but I was also diagnosed with HFA, at the age of 5. Maybe somebody who was diagnosed with AS, as an adult can help you. I took that online test, as well. I've scored 75. I hope that you enjoy your stay, here at WP. :)

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 4:45 pm

Welcome to WP! :cheers:

amadahy wrote:
do you feel that an official diagnosis is necessary?

It was for me.

amadahy wrote:
Have you had any issues with insurance companies not covering adult aspergers?

Mine covered testing and hasn't rejected me after getting diagnosed.

amadahy wrote:
Is the official diagnosis worth the effort it takes to find someone who specialized in autism spectrum (I live in the very much countryside of Illinois).

If you NEED it, absolutely! The only "service" I receive as a result of the diagnosis is being able to attend a support group that requires a diagnosis. But... not feeling like a complete failure or being at fault for so much that has happened over my lifetime... it absolutely priceless.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 5:12 pm

Unless you are getting a specific tangible benefit, then I recommend AGAINST official diagnosis. You have taken the online autism tests and scored high. I would say that you are autistic in one form or anopther. Getting an official diagnosis may very well wreck your health insurance, and in one state, may deny you the ability to get a drivers license.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:11 pm

Where and when would your health insurance be wrecked, as you put it? Does it depend on the kind of insurance you have? What exactly are the criteria? I have seen people make this statement before, but without a lot of clearcut details. And where is it that you wouldn't be able to get a driver's license?

I want to know all the facts before I actually do seek official diagnosis.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:12 pm

cyberscan wrote:
Unless you are getting a specific tangible benefit, then I recommend AGAINST official diagnosis. You have taken the online autism tests and scored high. I would say that you are autistic in one form or anopther. Getting an official diagnosis may very well wreck your health insurance, and in one state, may deny you the ability to get a drivers license.

Well, that's assuming that at 23 you don't have a driver's license yet, and that you'll ever be in a position to afford Health Insurance beyond what the government gives you. Since there is NO TREATMENT for Asperger Syndrome or HFA, there's no reason why you would ever make a claim for it on your Insurance, thus no reason why they should care. If, however, you find yourself unable to survive without public assistance, you will have to have a formal diagnosis in order to qualify. Being diagnosed has not caused me a single legal problem whatsoever and has actually saved my @ss in many ways.

Biggest hurdle you'll encounter in getting diagnosed is the cost. It isn't cheap and Insurance doesn't cover it.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:24 pm

I was told the same by the neurologists who diagnosed me. They gave me the diagnosis but left it out of my "official" medical history so that I wouldn't have any problems with legal or regulatory issues regarding driver's licensing, health insurance, employment, etc. They felt that given my age (40+), unless I were to apply for SSDI (I'm in the US) I'd be better off without having the diagnosis in my medical history.

This is, according to one of my treating docs, common practice with a variety of medical conditions. He said that he often prescribes meds for one disorder but "officially" calls it something else on documentation so the patient doesn't lose a job, health coverage, etc.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 9:57 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Where and when would your health insurance be wrecked, as you put it? Does it depend on the kind of insurance you have? What exactly are the criteria? I have seen people make this statement before, but without a lot of clearcut details. And where is it that you wouldn't be able to get a driver's license?

I want to know all the facts before I actually do seek official diagnosis.

I have been rejected for health insurance solely based upon autism. Maryland requires that a person disclose autism when applying for a drivers license. For new drivers who are autistic, they have to get permission from their doctor as well as being subject to a medical board before receiving a license (assuming they are allowed to have a license). Temple Grandin agree with me about official diagnosis for adults based upon the health insurance argument.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:45 pm

Is this individual or group insurance you're talking about being rejected from? If a person is on group insurance (such as through a large company), are they going to get kicked off?

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 10:52 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Is this individual or group insurance you're talking about being rejected from? If a person is on group insurance (such as through a large company), are they going to get kicked off?

It was individual insurance.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 9:29 am

amadahy wrote:
My questions are do you feel that an official diagnosis is necessary? Have you had any issues with insurance companies not covering adult aspergers?

An official diagnosis / assessment is necessary to receive state-funded care and social welfare, although for disability support it makes no difference what that diagnosis is.

There are treatment programmes available here (occupational therapy, CBT, psychotherapy, anxiety management) in addition to various prescription-only drugs that require a formal diagnosis. I get regular followup and support from a psychiatric team (because a psychiatric hospital is the only place with resources for adults).