Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you hate the dentist more than a NT would?
Yes I get anxious and check-ups and I also don't like treatment 48%  48%  [ 14 ]
I don't mind treatment but get anxious at treatment 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
I don't mind check-ups but hate treatment 28%  28%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 29

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2010, 5:42 pm

Sorry if this has already been covered, does anyone else hate going to the dentist more than a neurotypical would? I think I do. I always hate seeing that wee card come through the door with MY name on it. At check-ups I get anxious about what he's going to say and when he's working at my teeth the injection to numb my mouth really hurts for those few seconds and then I hate the feeling of the drill on my tooth, I even don't like it when he's ramming the filling in!

So do you feel the same way?

Demonique
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2010, 5:45 pm

I get gas during treatment so I'm happy

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:50 pm

I can't stand getting my teeth cleaned, and how people lean over you and ask you questions while being unable to even formulate a response because their fingers are in your mouth which just leads to confusion.

But dentists love me, they said it was because I could never complain. I'm sure I would have if I had the ability to say so.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:57 pm

Mom worked in dental hygiene.

She cleaned my teeth every 6 months. I'm used to dentists, but I hate anything more than the cleaning process.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:57 pm

I can't answer this question because I don't think my aversion to dentists is any great than those of alot of "NT's". Few people actually enjoy going to the dentist. It's simply a necessary evil for alot of us if we're interested in keeping our teeth.

I have heard that the suicide rates for dentists are disproportionately high, but I don't know if this is true. Some people have speculated that this is because everyone hates going to the dentist. I find that to be quite an impossible and illogical explanation for this phenomenon providing there's any truth to it in the first place.

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2010, 7:20 pm

Sorry I was beginning to get tired when I was making that post, would a mod please fix it. I'm still tired now, it was half 11 at night where I am when I made the post and it's nearly 2 hours later, so I'm going off for the night.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2010, 7:25 pm

I don't mind either and actually am quite relaxed at the dentist. I usually don't have to carry on small talk, its not crowded and I get to recline. Beats work

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 8:48 pm

I don't mind going to the dentist because I have an awesome dentist. He and his colleagues are incredibly nice to me, and they all adore me. The chair I sit in doubles as a massage chair, there is a TV on the ceiling to watch as I'm getting worked on, and they always give me nitrous oxide (laughing gas) when I ask for it.

The only thing I'm worried about is getting my wisdom teeth pulled at the oral surgeon's in a couple of weeks because there is a chance it will make me vomit, which would be my worst nightmare since I am emetophobic.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 8:50 pm

I had so much orthodontic work done in my mouth that I became overly accustomed to having people work inside my mouth. The only things I didn't like were the bright lights, and noises, but I did like the taste of some stuff and I zoned out into my imaginary world and almost fell asleep many times. I was also happily obsessed with getting a sticker or treat afterwards.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 8:52 pm

Middle option.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 9:13 pm

I always hated going to the dentist.
I hated how the place smelled and looked. I also hated that no matter how clean my teeth were, the dentist would still think it wasn't enough and he'd have to clean them himself (leaving my gums throbbing in pain). Why do you have to go see the dentist every six months anyway? I didn't even see the doctor that much.
On top of that, I'm an artist, so I was forced to draw a picture every time I went to the dentist. It was really annoying.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 9:37 pm

Going to the dentist makes me extremely anxious, and I avoid it as much as I can. I can't stand the pain of the Novocaine shots or of having my teeth cleaned. (Which I guess is not supposed to be painful? But it is, very.)

It also makes me very anxious to be in a situation where I'm supposed to make polite chit chat (beforehand) and react appropriately (during). I never know what I'm supposed to say or when, or what facial expression I'm supposed to make. I've tried looking up, in order to look away, and was laughed at (politely) because it looked like I had my eyes wide open in surprise.

I'm surprised more aspies aren't anxious about just being there, around another person in close contact, who expects you to act normal when you don't really know what the normal reaction to having someone's hands in your mouth and causing you pain is supposed to be.

I once accidentally bit the dentist and I was so mortified and I felt so awkward about it that I thought about not going back to see him.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 9:38 pm

I don't look forward to it. Since I was a kid, I was growing up with children's cartoons that persuaded children to not be afraid of the dentist, that they're pretty nice guys. I'm not saying they're not, but more often than not, the check-ups usually hurt. I've been optimistic about going to there, though regardless of whether my teeth have been good or bad, the sharp objects usually hurt, and I can't stand sitting like that while they're like super-brushing my teeth. I hate staying in the exact same position for a long time, especially when it possibly hurts. It's like the haircutters, but worse.

DW
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2010, 12:17 am

I don't mind cleaning, I feel a little anxious prior to have a nerve block performed (the injection) though. I do like going to the dentist though because of all the instruments they use. I collect surgical/dental instruments along with automotive/woodworking tools. One of my special interests =)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 12:20 am

I had my wisdom teeth out with a local. I wonder if it was even necassary to numb my mouth.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 1:54 am

mixed bag. i react terribly to novocaine when it's initially injected, and i'm really sensitive when teeth are being cleaned. strong gag reflex and i have panicked and spit out that mold-making goo before it was set. but then if it's an easy filling i can put headphones on, calm down and revel in the 2-3 hours (dental school - takes a long time :( )of getting something necessary accomplished while not having to speak, which is an anxiety reducer for me. so it depends on what is getting done. i had a root canal once and the smell was unbearable.