Tim_Tex wrote:
Breaking news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_ ... an_burning

The Burn the Quran day was cancelled.

That is good news

Good news indeed.

Muslims around the world would have been in an extreme uproar
had a Koran burning happened. Said church in Florida wanted
to obviously represent the views Christians worldwide have about Muslims.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 7:01 pm

I seriously doubt that Jones is going to just drop everything. Even though he did not say anything regarding his plans to reinstate the bonfire if the imam did not cave to his demands, that is still probably his intention. It's a simple thought process that drives this man, he is very easy to read.

The only solution that might possibly avoid a shitstorm is if this supposed "deal" is real and they both come to an agreement. That, in my personal opinion however, would be blackmail. At any rate it would appear that some s**t is going down this Saturday, no matter what happens. I'm just glad I'll be at NDK in Denver, where the possibility of a riot concerning these events is slim to none. I don't really feel like packing underneath my costume, and I believe their weapons policy would prevent it anyways.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 9:20 pm

This does not sound good:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2010 ... el-burning

In other news, the city council will be billing the pastor for all the extra policing of the area, and when you factor in the extra security with the UF football game, it is not going to be cheap.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 11:20 pm

i still think this whole issue is ridiculous and only serves to show how savage certain muslims can be. many in the media also are portraying muslims as children who cannot control their anger over burnt pages. they act like pricks in comedy clubs who want to punch out the comedian for directing a joke towards them.

there have been many cases of defiling christian (even non-christian) artifacts, some even propogated by the governments themselves. yet when some nutjob in florida whose only attention should come for his mutton chops is given this widespread media coverage, its just mindboggling. this guy is not representative of america as a whole. remember the whole argument of not blaming the billions of practitioners over the actions of a few? yeah we forget things very quickly.

if anyone actually thinks that the the reverend should be put to blame over violent acts committed from his little bonfire (or even the thought of it), then you guys really have a way of dismissing the underlying issue here. this freedom of expression shouldnt be picked and chosen by the wishes of those we deem more important. we shouldnt coddle individuals over invisible lines and barriers. its just downright hypocritical that on the same week the morons who kept bringing up amendment/rights on the mosque at ground zero issue are the same ones protesting this guy.

just get it over with already.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2010, 2:08 am

WillMcC wrote:
This does not sound good:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2010 ... el-burning

In other news, the city council will be billing the pastor for all the extra policing of the area, and when you factor in the extra security with the UF football game, it is not going to be cheap.

I figured as much. It was too good to be true anyways.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2010, 10:14 am

oscuria wrote:
if anyone actually thinks that the the reverend should be put to blame over violent acts committed from his little bonfire (or even the thought of it), then you guys really have a way of dismissing the underlying issue here. this freedom of expression shouldnt be picked and chosen by the wishes of those we deem more important. we shouldnt coddle individuals over invisible lines and barriers. its just downright hypocritical that on the same week the morons who kept bringing up amendment/rights on the mosque at ground zero issue are the same ones protesting this guy.

just get it over with already.

Agreed. Freedom of speech is worthless if someone isn't being offended. It's all about offending people. Building a mosque and buring Qu'rans should BOTH be allowed. And ignored. (Although I'd argue that the perceived insult over the mosque arises out of western stupidity, an insistence that all Muslims are the same and that peaceful Muslims are somehow behind the extremists. As if your own church was secretly backing KKK atrocities. The Onion story I posted alludes to this stupidity.)

You'd think all those good Christians would listen to their guy and "turn the other cheek" but apparently they missed that sermon. I don't know if Muslims have an equivalent, but they consider Jesus a prophet, so they should be following the same advice even if Mohammad never said it himself. Violence at the insult of having your holy book burned or your prophet captured in a picture is just barbaric and childish and worthy of derision. Grow the hell up! Here in the US, we fight ideas with ideas, not with violence. Put your sword away and get out your pen.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 11:02 am

As far as I'm concerned this is all the fault of the press. This idiot is a nobody from nobodiesville. The only reason half the world is in uproar is because the press latched onto his idiocy and broadcast it across the globe.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 11:18 am

Breaking news: He has decided that he has accomplished his goals and, apparently the burnings have been cancelled completely

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2010 ... burn-Quran

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 11:26 am

WillMcC wrote:
Breaking news: He has decided that he has accomplished his goals and, apparently the burnings have been cancelled completely

I knew that yesterday already. Previously he said that the Koran burning was postponed, either way I knew it wasn't going to take place though. That didn't stop riots in Afghanistan over the plan though, even after it was cancelled as I had read in other news articles.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 12:03 pm

Jono wrote:
WillMcC wrote:

I knew that yesterday already. Previously he said that the Koran burning was postponed, either way I knew it wasn't going to take place though. That didn't stop riots in Afghanistan over the plan though, even after it was cancelled as I had read in other news articles.

In the Middle East Muslims riot simply because Jews exist.

ruveyn

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 12:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Jono wrote:
WillMcC wrote:

In the Middle East Muslims riot simply because Jews exist.

ruveyn

I suppose that's why Paster Jones says "mission accomplished", whatever that means.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 7:36 pm

Well...I was curious, since the gainsville preacher didn't carry out his promise of burning the koran, that I'd search to see if anyone else had, since it had garnered so much attention. And someone did...not really hard to guess who, but now, I'm counting down the days this dude is alive. Even though he is extremely unlikable, I'll miss his lol rants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C6YOJh4tGc

Someone really needs to satirize these people in a movie or a skit.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 10:31 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdtFk_V6A4M[/youtube]

! !

takemitsu wrote:
Well...I was curious, since the gainsville preacher didn't carry out his promise of burning the koran, that I'd search to see if anyone else had, since it had garnered so much attention. And someone did...not really hard to guess who, but now, I'm counting down the days this dude is alive. Even though he is extremely unlikable, I'll miss his lol rants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C6YOJh4tGc

Someone really needs to satirize these people in a movie or a skit.

LOL!! !! Well, he's a nutter all right, but at least he follows through on what he says he will do! The Koran is no longer untouchable.

joeyfarlz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2011, 4:57 pm

When I read that article, the only thing I could think of was "What a bunch of LOSERS!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, just because a few idiotic people from a particular social group or religion or whatever do some stupid and cruel things does not make that entire social group or religion bad...

Look at the IRA, but seriously, does that make the Catholic Church bad?

qwertywop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2011, 11:19 pm

reminds me of a radio show here in the bay area called "please,please,please don't be Florida". Why do we get all the crazy people in the news.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 11:55 pm

Somehow I get the feeling that if it was a group of atheists or muslims torching a bunch of Bibles, the people here complaining now would be praising the event.