Staroffice 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 38

Appen
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2006, 6:24 pm

I use Openoffice 2.0 because it is free and I can't aford MS office. I like it because it can read and save in the MS office format.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 May 2006, 6:29 pm

I like NeoOffice which is an OS X port of Open Office.

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2006, 6:33 pm

OpenOffice. It does everything I need from such software.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2006, 10:56 pm

One reason i use Open office it can make pdf files and the price is right heeh. Oh and Open office is staroffice with a new name and file types and released under the GPL look at the file name sooffice.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2006, 3:25 pm

Seeing as I'm on a PC running Ubuntu Linux, I'm using OpenOffice 2.0.

It's slow as molassas though, mainly because I'm working with a 1.2 Ghz processor and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. :?

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2006, 3:39 pm

heys, i use openoffice as my main office suit.

i woulden't complain about 1.2 processor, my main PC has a 1.2 AMD duron in it and i have used it for two year of webdesgin running everything from alias / wavefront maya 6.5 to photoshop CS2, althugh i do have slightly fater a a little more RAM than you, try bunging some ram in, 512mb stick are dirt cheap!!

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2006, 4:17 pm

I currently use Office 2003 Professional that I got quite cheaply. Before that, I used Office 2000 for several years on both Windows and Linux. I wasn't particularly happy with either Open Office, Abiword, or KOffice. At the same time, I must admit that Open Office was a major improvement over the last free versions of StarOffice . I absolutely hated the UI for that, and used it only to open up MS Word Documents, or convert Documents over to that format.

When I had a Mac, I made a point of getting Word98 for it, due to the fact that MSWord was the default 'must have' office application.

Before that however , I used to use Lotus SmartSuite, which I really liked, in conjunction with StarOffice for accessing and creating MSWord Documents.

X
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2006, 5:04 pm

OpenOffice is definitely at least as good as MS Office 2000 (not too sure about 2003). I'm suprised that people pay such exorbitant amounts for MS Office when they can get basically the same thing for free.

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2006, 3:42 am

I use MS Office 2004 on my Mac. OpenOffice/NeoOffice is simply painful to use on a 400 MHz Sawtooth, whereas MS Office runs surprisingly pretty snappy on this old beast.

I'm hopefully upgrading to an Intel Mini, but I might wait until the 2nd generation models (with the kinks worked out) come out, with upgraded specs and hopefully lowered prices. My Sawtooth is serving me quite well at the moment actually.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 6:24 pm

MS Office Professional 2003. Simply because it kind of came with this computer which was built for us. The whole thing was free.

When our previous computer (which completely corrupted due to XP Service Pack 2 :x ) only had MS Works, I had to use OpenOffice because Works just annoyed me beyond belief. I spent an hour drawing two molecules and obsessing about getting the bond lengths exactly equal, copied and pasted into the document ... when MS Office at school converted it, said diagram was lost. I was beyond infuriated and that made me dl OpenOffice. But it did bug me as it was so different to MS Office (to which I have been accustomed since first using a PC) so in a way I'm glad we had to get a new computer :)

Conway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2006, 5:18 pm

Open Office, mainly because it's free. My only complaint is that it can take so long to start up!