AVATAR fans (James Cameron's AVATAR, not Last Airbender)

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 245
Location: Thailand

21 Aug 2010, 4:06 am

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!! !! :lol:



Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,438

21 Aug 2010, 9:52 am

Image



imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,492

21 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

Avatar was one of the most overrated, overhyped, annoying, pretencious, most unoriginal movies i have ever seen. C+



lostD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 560

22 Aug 2010, 3:24 am

I do agree.

Technically, it is very beautiful. Linguistically, it is very interesting.

Yet it was totally previsible and they used a lot of stereotypes (bad army - neutral/good scientists - nice natives). The movie would have been more interesting if it hasn't been so manichean and biased ("oh bad humans you do not respect your planet unlike them go to hell").

I am somewhat tired of all those plots revolving around ecology, it is true that we have threatened our planet, yet :
1- Making a movie will not save it, it's only encouraging people to use their car to go to a movie theatre made of any kind of polluting materials to eat junk food which most people have no desire to know how it was made and then to go to the stores to buy a dvd or a blue ray and a new tv (also made of polluting materials) to watch it again and denounce the attitude of human beings in front of your screen.

No really, it's not hypocritical at all.

2- We do not know how an alien population would have evolve, which make the plot both believable and not believable. Observing the behaviour of human beings or animals on Earth, we could guess that there would be some wars between different tribes of natives (I assume they are tribes since they was such a huge gap between our technology and their) and that there would eventually be some tribes which would have tried to create more powerful weapons (I am not talking about our moderns weapons).

3- The deity was somewhat unrealistic in the end but I enjoyed teh fact that they justified it scientifically, yet it seems that most people took it as a moral lesson, meaning that we have forgotten how to respect and adore Earth and its soul (I do not believe Earth has a soul, I believe that we are making its inhabitants die but Earth cannot care about that).
Plus, we cannot go backward, how many of us could live without technology ? (I could not, I would not even been there since I am a premature child)

4- The body were idealisitc (no visible difference between the way individuals were built) but somewhat realistic according to the way they lived, nature was glorified but proven dangerous as well, I think it's too bad that they glorified it so much that no one saw the flaws in the na'vi attitude. It is true that creating eleves-like creatures without technology tend to make people think "how they are nice", plus they respected their planet yet... they accepted SOME humans and let everyone else die, they did not give them another chance and acted just as bad as human did, it was a real conflict were both part had there flaws but most people will never see it because the na'vi have been glorified for their way of living.


By the way, the movie was totally previsible because it used so many stereotypes and a unoriginal pattern (many movies do that but this one has also the pretention of being the best movie ever made) :
1- Army = Bad dumb people acting like tyrant
2- Scientists = Good people who have to work with bad army and whose intentions are misunderstood
3- Natives = Good and peaceful people who are threatened by a technologically advanced population

It is totally manichean, in reality, there may be people who threatens other but in the end, it is not "good vs bad", many things happens and the "nice people" my have threaten other people before too. It's the way things are, humans are animals, they don't really fight for a territory but they fight for a kind of spiritual / political /economical territory. I do not see why natives would be different, even natives of another planet (especially since the animals have a realistic behaviour and since the na'vi are domesticating them like we did).

Plus, the plot, as is says before this post, is just like Pocahontas's plot and you could guess everything which happened if you had seen other movies before :
1- A man meet a woman and they fall in love though they are not supposed to (especially since they are from different specie and ennemies)
2- Whenever someone says that "no one has done this in ages", the hero will be able to do this.
3- The war was totally expected, had they come to a diplomatic agreement, it would have been original
4- The hero becoming his avatar... how unprevisible ! No one could have guessed from the start (especially since he had a handicap) !

No, really, I paid for this movie because my best friend wanted to see it, I am not disappointed because it was visually beautiful but I will not see it again because it would be boring.



Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 245
Location: Thailand

22 Aug 2010, 4:01 am

[b]THREAD LOCKED



Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,438

22 Aug 2010, 10:01 am

Kvornan wrote:
[b]THREAD LOCKED

Wow! You want the thread locked before barely anybody has a chance to express their opinions because those who have so far Didn't agree with your own? Grow up will you.



imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,492

22 Aug 2010, 12:46 pm

Xenu wrote:
Kvornan wrote:
[b]THREAD LOCKED

Wow! You want the thread locked before barely anybody has a chance to express their opinions because those who have so far Didn't agree with your own? Grow up will you.


seriously, Kvornan, not everyone loves avatar. i think the title of "avatar" belongs to the last airbender, not giant smurfs



lostD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 560

22 Aug 2010, 2:12 pm

Kvornan wrote:
[b]THREAD LOCKED


You could at least argument your point of view on this movie, this is what threads are for.



Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,355
Location: Lexington, KY

22 Aug 2010, 2:20 pm

I agree with the points posted in this thread.

Avatar is indeed over hyped and over rated.

That is not even mentioning it's blatant copying of "Dances with Wolves" although they did try making Native Americans into Were-Smurfs from outer space.

The plot twists are obvious.



Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,295
Location: Right behind you...

22 Aug 2010, 6:07 pm

Not to mention that it's been done before in science fiction literature. As John Carter of Mars and Dune.

Don't get me wrong. Immense technical achievement. And I full intend to get it out on DVD, once they put some halfway decent special features on it. But the story is an also-ran.


_________________
(No longer a mod)

On sabbatical...


Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 245
Location: Thailand

22 Aug 2010, 8:48 pm

Xenu wrote:
Kvornan wrote:
[b]THREAD LOCKED

Wow! You want the thread locked before barely anybody has a chance to express their opinions because those who have so far Didn't agree with your own? Grow up will you.
LOL just kidding! :lol:

Yeah, I respect opinions, and I agree that the storyline wasn't 100% original. But it was well worth it, compaired to New Moon!

I'm bored of Vampires!



blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,876
Location: Behind the wheel

24 Aug 2010, 8:53 am

Visually it was very enjoyable, mesmerising even, but the storyline was pretty lame.



PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 May 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,741
Location: Kalahari Desert

24 Aug 2010, 9:14 am

I loved it too. It was and maybe still is, a special intrest for a while.


_________________
I'm not weird, you're just too normal.


Audie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 19
Location: North Carolina

24 Aug 2010, 11:44 am

avatar was a very good movie and i loved its special effects and and battle sc.enes, but i definitely didn't like it's anti military bent



kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 288
Location: Oxford

24 Aug 2010, 1:06 pm

I enjoyed Avatar and own it on blu-ray, but that Pocohontas script edit thing is hilarious!! ! (And very true)


_________________
Spare a talent for an old ex-leper?
Monty Python's Life of Brian