Aspergers accepted more now today then it was in the past

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joshandspot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2010, 9:03 pm

Do you think middle school kids who are getting diagnosed today get treated better in their schools then we did when we were kids? Like are other kids more understanding of differences with diagnostic names attached to it or because they're young are they still bullied and made fun of?

Koopa-Kid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2010, 9:31 pm

Bullys have been and will always be around, simple as that. However I do believe as time gos on teachers learn how to better handle and protect kids with disability's. We keep learning more and more about disability's hence we learn new ways to deal with it. However I see your only 24, I doubt much has changed in that short of time. I just graduated and most teachers in my school I dont feel really understood Autism or knew how to deal with it. I can re-call some cases where teachers would laugh at autistic kids in my school.

In fact one memory sticks out very vivid to me. When I was in the 8th grade I went to math tutoring after school twice a week. It was always me and this other kids who had full out Autism, not aspergers but still on the spectrum. Our normal teacher was very good with kids like us, however for whatever reason she couldnt teach us one day and we had to go to another teacher that day. He gave us a problem to work on the board and I did it, showed him and he said I was right. Then looked at the other kid and told me he didnt even want to deal with "that" today. not even kidding his words. He knew he had autism but did not know I had AS.

I know he was a very smart teacher, fact of the mater is not all teachers are good with special needs kids.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 9:55 pm

I'm sorry, it's still not understood at all.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 10:08 pm

It's better known - one of the schools I observed handled it very well (though I didn't observe the kids outside of class and I'm sure there's still bullying and ignorance), another school I observed, handled it rather poorly. At least now kids are getting diagnosed so the parents are entitled to have an IEP and services from the school - back when I was growing up, you'd get labelled as weird, defiant, or just get ignored.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 2:21 am

I once had a police officer who thought I was high on drugs try to force me to the front of his car go from an angry cop to a rational cop when I said I have Aspergers when he grabbed me by my bicep. He then explained to me why he was doing what he was doing in moving me to the front of the car.

He saw me staggering on the sidewalk then asked to see my pupils I would not make eye contact with him so he assumed I was trying to hide my pupils from him. So he wanted to move me to the front of his car to see my pupils dialate better by covering my eyes then exposing them to the light. It took a few seconds for him to set me on my way and a sorry from the cop. I believe the cop had some kind of training in dealing people on the spectrum. He seemed to know what Aspergers was.

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 5:23 am

its actualy less undertstood, since in the past, they didnt even have that much of a deffinition of 'normal'