Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

olso4644
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2010, 11:32 pm

I have this terrible obsession for biting plastic when i am thinking. I am so afraid for my dear teeth. I never drink soda out of bottles anymore, because i am almost going to definitely start biting on the cap and the plastic ring.

Anyone else do this or have done it.

It sucks, because its not instantly bad enough, where i'll refuse to do it again, but i know in the long run im gonna screw up my teeth.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2010, 11:43 pm

Now that you mention it, I do this with pens. Not ordinary run-of-the-mill pen chewing, but the kind where I'll suddenly realise that not only is the lid mysteriously "missing" but there is only half of the pen left and there are shards of sharp broken plastic in my mouth. :)

No wonder I can never find a pen.

I'm not sure how bad it is for you though. At first thought I'd assume that chewing a sturdy non-corrosive material might strengthen your teeth or gums, but then again, we're not hamsters.

Last edited by Invader on 21 Aug 2010, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm

ha! My boyfriend does this! I can not go a day cleaning the house to find some sort of chewed up bottle cap or straw somewhere. So glad I love him to death. SO GROSS!

I don't find myself doing this, but I did do this with my hair and my headphone cords. I don't know why I wanted to risk shocking myself to chew on something but yeah... Guess that's why I stopped! I'm more of a hold thing in my hand, so I don't go crazy touching everything. Holding a water bottle keeps me from touching all of the walmart store! hehehehehe

olso4644
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2010, 11:58 pm

I would chew gum, but it's not the same. The challenge goes away. Who chews gum when there is an adversary such as plastic bottle caps out there.

Not i.

ale
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2010, 12:07 am

I do this too, I hate it but I can't stop doing it (in fact right now I'm chewing a marker). I could never find a solution for this (I never chewed gum in my life, and I don't think I'll ever will), it's not a big issue, but it makes my teeth hurt like hell (occassionally)

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 1:34 am

I chew on pens, pencils, and also plastic soda bottles too. Poor bottles, they don't stand a chance and within minutes they get mauled to the point of being unusable for anything else ever again!

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2010, 6:58 am

oh, all the time. Its basically my 'stim'. I do it subconsciously all the time, i have chewed my nails right down to the point where i have to wait until they grow a little bit again so i can bite them, as they are so short. its actually affecting my recorder playing! i chew pens and dvd cases, sometimes even books and tables! i got told off in primary school a lot for chewing the table legs.
funny, i didnt think there were others like me
another one of my stims is rolling things on my fingers, like, i would get a pen, hold it between my thumb and a few fingertips, and just rold it continuously back and forth.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 7:17 am

I always chew on my pencils!!

You can try chewing gum, maybe that would help. I used to chew gum until I got braces.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 7:32 am

I used to chew on pencils but then a teacher told me I would die because of the wood so I stopped but a lot of people enjoy chewing things.