yes 36%  36%  [ 18 ]
no 52%  52%  [ 26 ]
once in a while 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 50

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:15 pm

I like my cigars, they're tasty and relaxing and a fun hobby for me. Even the smoke-nazis admit on their web sites that the threshold for measurable health impact is 2 cigars a day, which would drain my bank account long before it hurt my health. As a side bonus, cigar smoke repels both biting insects and small children and it causes hippies to give me the stink-eye, so it's like a win-win for me. :lol:

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2010, 3:26 pm

Smoked for several years. Not a lot, but consistently every day. I tried 15 or 16 times to quit, finally doing it. I found nicotine unbelievably addictive (still do). Strangely, though, now that I don't smoke, I can have a few cigarettes once in a while and I don't get a craving for more. What forced me to quit was feeling lousy all the time, and it started to affect my outdoor activities and exercise. Smoking might be the dumbest thing I have ever done. Don't take up the habit. You will regret it.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 3:01 am

I've tried pot, cigars, and cigarettes. We can get actual Cuban cigars in Canada since we don't have the Haliburton laws like the US with respect to Cuba.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 4:02 am

I have been smoking for over a year and Im now trying to quit, I spent a week without smoking last week for example.

It all started as a social habit that seemed to make easier socialization.
Most fridays my classmates went binge drinking and I went along with them.
Most people there seemed to drink and smoke so when someone offered me a cigar I took it and a few minutes afterwards I went outside where we were to at least have my own.
When I was starting this random guy came up to me and adviced me to leave it, he saw I wasnt really hooked on it and he had started just like me a few years back and now he smoked a package during a weekend.
I saw how it made things easier because somehow more people approached me when smoking so I thought there was no point on stopping.

Right now social pressure has become even harder for me(ended up puking 4 times last weekend because I was with people that smoked to much of something Im not used to(w--d) and I felt the need to smoke just as much as them in order to be accepted) so I have decided to quit probably sometime along this week will be my last one hopefully and to cut down the amount of alcoholic beverages I have when I go out.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2010, 9:42 am

Quote:
About half of American adults now weigh well over two hundred pounds. Do you honestly think they're any healthier, or likelier to live to 100, than a 175 pound smoker?

How many of the food products that you consume on a daily basis have pure cane or corn syrup sugars in them? Think that diabetes is going to extend your life span?
People die. No one here gets out alive. No one. Not even YOU. You are hurtling blindly towards DEATH even as you read this, and nothing you can do will stop it.

Wow, that argument is so wildly illogical I don't think I can even comprehend countering it. I'll just say this - if you wish to live a long, healthy, productive life, why not do any of these things? Why does it have to be a choice of pick your poison, so to speak? Most people do whatever they can to keep themselves healthy.
Me, I used to smoke - gave up two or three years ago. I mainly only smoked because it was a socially acceptable thing to do at social events - I didn't look strange if I was hanging about on someone's porch smoking instead of inside trying to socialize. I pretty much dropped the pretense of socializing, so dropped the smoking with it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 9:59 am

just-lou wrote:
Quote:
About half of American adults now weigh well over two hundred pounds. Do you honestly think they're any healthier, or likelier to live to 100, than a 175 pound smoker?

How many of the food products that you consume on a daily basis have pure cane or corn syrup sugars in them? Think that diabetes is going to extend your life span?
People die. No one here gets out alive. No one. Not even YOU. You are hurtling blindly towards DEATH even as you read this, and nothing you can do will stop it.

Wow, that argument is so wildly illogical I don't think I can even comprehend countering it.

Nothing illogical there: Life is terminal, and just about everything at the grocery store helps make sure of that.

If somebody could come up with the actual facts about longevity through proper nutrition and healthy living and all of that and actually provide an available-to-all environment where that were truly possible, I might just go for it. But until then, the best we can do is the best we can do while picking from the deadly stuff on the only shelves within sight.

just-lou wrote:
if you wish to live a long, healthy, productive life, why ...do any of these things?
Why does it have to be a choice of pick your poison, so to speak?

I hope I have answered your questions.

Healthy Smoker

UglyDuckling
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2010, 12:06 pm

Since I don't have an excess of time or money on my hands, or a shortage of vices, I haven't ever had the urge to take up smoking.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:11 pm

I am a smoker. I happen to enjoy it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:55 pm

ex smoker. I have not lit up a cigarette since 1962. I have smoke cigars though. No inhaling.

ruveyn

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 8:32 pm

Tory_canuck wrote:
We can get actual Cuban cigars in Canada since we don't have the Haliburton laws like the US with respect to Cuba.

As I discovered on my last trip to BC though, boy do you ever pay for them. Seriously, $40 for a Cohiba Lancero at the Vancouver La Casa Del Habanos? I'll stick to my black market Cubans thank you very much. :lol:

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 9:05 pm

I voted once in a while, since I like the occasional cigar.

I've only ever smoked cigarettes a few times when I was with friends who were smoking. I've never bought them for myself, and would rather not get into that habit.