Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:47 am

Watched Nova Science Now with the lovely Dr. Neil De Grasse Tyson (My Kissie Face Crush!). C'mon ladies, am I the only gal that finds him SO cute?! He makes me forget I'm married. Well, anyway, I was under the impression that oil was from all the prehistoric matter deep, down under the earth. This program said it's from all the algae from long ago not from the dinosaurs and prehistoric plants. I had no idea. I guess a form of coal is from them? Lignite or something? It would be great if algae could be bioengineered to produce more bio-fuel or be easier to cultivate. Any thoughts or knowledge on this?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 4:33 pm

I'll have to Google his name, and see for myself. :wink:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 7:39 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
Watched Nova Science Now with the lovely Dr. Neil De Grasse Tyson (My Kissie Face Crush!). C'mon ladies, am I the only gal that finds him SO cute?! He makes me forget I'm married. Well, anyway, I was under the impression that oil was from all the prehistoric matter deep, down under the earth. This program said it's from all the algae from long ago not from the dinosaurs and prehistoric plants. I had no idea. I guess a form of coal is from them? Lignite or something? It would be great if algae could be bioengineered to produce more bio-fuel or be easier to cultivate. Any thoughts or knowledge on this?

There is already work being done on extracting fuel from algae. Better that than corn, which can be used to feed humans.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel