Here's the old eppisode.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9dwKQ6xyIs&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEpMomBvPVQ&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMev5QQxs00&feature=related[/youtube]

Newer
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlRXV-WTZ2E&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXH0Q9-PLzc&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbF_iQ5l7Q&feature=related[/youtube]

I enjoyed the older eppisodes but they don't have a creepy feel, a generation thing I guess. The newer one is creepy to me. Anyway, I feel this is what groups like Autism Speaks want and what a lot of people want subconciously but aren't aware of.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2010, 5:48 pm

Hmmm. Never seen The Twilight Zone before. Slow paced. Hokey. Knew as soon as they didn't show any faces that hers would be 'normal' or blue eyed or green or something silly forbidden.

Humanimals don't change much, very superficial, peer pressured, mob rule, unthinking. Everything beautiful in this world is being destroyed, the air and water fouled, trees cut down everywhere, the beauty of God's magnificent earth degraded and subjugated into dry dusty arid nothingness.

More of a horror movie to just look out the window now.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 6:34 pm

Twilight Zone ruled. The concepts portrayed on the original series were far far ahead of their time. A lot of great authors were featured on the show. A lot of great actors too. Personally, I found the older series far more creepy than the new. Forgive me for sounding old, but...

Kids who grew up with all color TV, movies with heavily developed sound tracks, video games etc. don't seem to have learned how to use imagination the way older generations had to. Trust me, the imagination is far creepier than all the technology Hollywood throws at us now.

Lots of comments on YouTube about it. I don't find it to be as much of a statement about human values as it is about human presumptions. The assumption is the patient's face is horrific. The shock is that it isn't and everyone elses is. It's about what we as the audience presume. Watching it today, it's too easy to presume otherwise, because that kind of theme has been done over so many times, in so many different ways, we are accustomed to being fooled by writers, so we anticipate the obvious. What is obvious today though, wasn't so obvious when the original series first aired. Today the obvious message isn't so obvious anymore. We are accustomed to looking for deeper meaning because nobody would write a story with such a predictable ending today. It's easy not to see the only reason it's predictable is because it's been done, redone, reworked to fool you again, etc. etc. ad naseum. We've seen so much of this stuff with far more complicated plots and messages, it's hard to believe now that any message could be so simple.

"See, you silly person you? You're pretty presumptuous, aren't you?"

There's really nothing more to it than that.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 8:20 pm

That's one of my favorite episodes, because it shows that beauty is a subjective thing in different societies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 11:13 pm

I watched the old episode, when I was 10, or 11. It was a very good episode.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 11:37 pm

Cascadians wrote:
Hmmm. Never seen The Twilight Zone before. Slow paced. Hokey. Knew as soon as they didn't show any faces that hers would be 'normal' or blue eyed or green or something silly forbidden.

Humanimals don't change much, very superficial, peer pressured, mob rule, unthinking. Everything beautiful in this world is being destroyed, the air and water fouled, trees cut down everywhere, the beauty of God's magnificent earth degraded and subjugated into dry dusty arid nothingness.

More of a horror movie to just look out the window now.

You had me until God.

My friend, religion is a perfect example of peer pressure, unthinking, mob rule.

Edit: to add actual relevant content... I loved that episode. Everyone should watch it.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2010, 11:55 pm

:roll: That was unnecessary.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2010, 12:49 am

Oh no, it is very very necessary. It needs to be repeated as many times as it takes until the masses open their eyes and start to think for themselves.

Io
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Aug 2010, 2:57 am

Dilbert wrote:
Oh no, it is very very necessary. It needs to be repeated as many times as it takes until the masses open their eyes and start to think for themselves.

Translation: "Think for yourselves and STOP QUESTIONING ME, dammit!" :lol:

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Aug 2010, 4:12 am

As an artist, I do not agree. There is an objective standard to what most humans see as beauty. (symmetry, proportion, form and shape, etc). Very interesting social message, however.