Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

evil_eyes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2011, 9:09 pm

I've had experiences similar to yours, mori XD

RF Frontier is too big to able to visit everyone. I'm not patient enough to go through all the loading screens. That's another thing I like about handhelds--going from area to area is much faster.

Sometimes I find it hard to identify with female characters. I'm playing Legend of Heroes 4, and the main character, Estelle Bright, isn't a bad character...I just wish I were playing her brother Joshua ^_^ I go to an all-girls school, so I'm chalking it up to the fact that I have a HORRIBLE experience with girls. (Not that I'm any better with boys, but I haven't had nightmares about it...yet)

http://harvestmoon.neoseeker.com/wiki/Characters_-_Twin_Villages#Male_Protagonist

The Twin Villages characters look cute! I hope they're interesting and developed too. I stopped playing Grand Bazaar because of the save function and because everyone was so boring, even the characters I liked and befriended ^.^

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 1:13 am

mori_pastel wrote:
MrLoony wrote:
I really think that Harvest Moon appeals to autistics.

I've got a funny (and incredibly pathetic) story for you. I was in 8th grade and wanted to be friends with this girl who didn't like me, so I asked my mom for advise. She said "Just say hello to her every day!"

"Wow!" I thought. "Just like Harvest Moon! Why didn't anyone ever tell me it was this easy?!" And I went and said hello to the girl every day. Not start a conversations with her, mind you, just walked up to her at her lockers, interrupted whatever she was doing/talking to, said "hello," and then walked off feeling all pleased with myself because I was making friends. I didn't realize there was anything wrong with my master plan until weeks/months later when the girl turned around one day, furious, and told me to leave her alone and stop being such a freaky weirdo. : (

Awww... /hugs mori

Quote:
Moral of the story: Life should be more like Harvest Moon. Obviously. XD

Yes. Only with less pescetarianism and homophobia. Also, the Japanese version. Why? Because this would never happen using the Japanese term for it: http://mariosjob.smackjeeves.com/comics ... moo-juice/

Personally, I prefer the artistic style of Grand Bazaar.

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2011, 3:31 am

I'm not gonna quote all this sooo I'll address my responses by usernames.

evil_eyes: Haha, oh Will, he's so adorable. Yeah I can kinda see him as more of the damsel. And yes, I accidentally married Bianca. Here's what happened. Talked to her in the square, Raguna did something and she asked me if I really knew what she was thinking, two options: 1. You're waiting for a proposal. 2. You're thinking about your father's weight. She was at 10 hearts so I knew she was thinking the first choice and picked that. Then suddenly I'm in the church saying my vows. Then later she ended up being one of my favorite girls. Oh, Russell, he was handsome! If I could be a girl in that game I'd definitely choose him as my husband. :33

Jaejoongfangirl: YES, it is addictive. I laughed pretty hard when I watched a review by the wiiviewr on a Harvest Moon for wiiware and he was like "Alright today I gotta blah blah blah... Oh wow! 2 AM?!" What is even with these games?

MrLoony: Yeah, winter's pretty boring. I like how in some they give you crops to plant in winter that's cool.

mori_pastel: Nice story you got there. Don'tcha hate it when you think you're doing nothing wrong then suddenly a person goes all furious with you? =( If life were more like Harvest Moon, friendship would mostly be formed by giving gifts every day. I do the route thing too. If I see people on my way anywhere I'll say hi to them.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 11:46 am

BriannaBee wrote:
Jaejoongfangirl: YES, it is addictive. I laughed pretty hard when I watched a review by the wiiviewr on a Harvest Moon for wiiware and he was like "Alright today I gotta blah blah blah... Oh wow! 2 AM?!" What is even with these games?

Link?

Edit: By the way, one of the few bad things about Grand Bazaar is that there's no church. The fact that religion was portrayed so positively in HM is one of the things that make it great.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2011, 7:57 pm

evil_eyes wrote:
I've had experiences similar to yours, mori XD

It's good to know I'm not alone. xD lol

Omg, those characters are so cute! My favorite is Kamil. No, Lia! No, Raspberry! No, Licorice! No...!

I'm kind of glad to see it's a DS title. I tend to play handheld versions of HM more. I hope I have a 3DS by the time it comes out!

MrLooney wrote:
Yes. Only with less pescetarianism and homophobia. Also, the Japanese version. Why? Because this would never happen using the Japanese term for it: http://mariosjob.smackjeeves.com/comics ... moo-juice/

Agreed! Though I'm not sure I could eat my own chickens and cows after raising them from tiny little eggs/calves, it'd be nice to have a hamburger every once in awhile. And not to regret my gender when some cute bachelor/bachelorette walked into town. XD Heck, I'd even be religious in Harvest Moon-land! I have no problems with making sacrificial offerings to the lady in the lake.

The Japanese versions actually have better names? Poor Mario. I hope that pregnancy juice isn't magic enough to work on him.

BriannaBee wrote:
Nice story you got there. Don'tcha hate it when you think you're doing nothing wrong then suddenly a person goes all furious with you? =( If life were more like Harvest Moon, friendship would mostly be formed by giving gifts every day. I do the route thing too. If I see people on my way anywhere I'll say hi to them

Yes. D :

The downside would be you'd just keep having to offer them random gifts until you found something they actually liked. Unless people posted their favorite gifts on Facebook. XD I think mine would be Crazy Cores Skittles. Would that make me easy to woo?

But, of course, the best thing ever would be wearing the same outfit every day. That'd be the best thing about living in any video game world, IMO. I mean, I like bathing and not stinking and all, but having one super-cool, perfect-fit outfit would be tons better than having a closet full of mass-produced clothes with logos all over them that wear out or get too small. Or maybe seasonal outfits would be better, with formal/informal alternatives and weather-appropriate accessories like a raincoat or a bathing suit. Just to cover all the bases.

MrLooney wrote:
Edit: By the way, one of the few bad things about Grand Bazaar is that there's no church. The fact that religion was portrayed so positively in HM is one of the things that make it great.

You think so? Why do you like it so much? I've never really paid much attention to it, honestly.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 9:16 pm

mori_pastel wrote:
MrLooney wrote:

Agreed! Though I'm not sure I could eat my own chickens and cows after raising them from tiny little eggs/calves, it'd be nice to have a hamburger every once in awhile. And not to regret my gender when some cute bachelor/bachelorette walked into town. XD Heck, I'd even be religious in Harvest Moon-land! I have no problems with making sacrificial offerings to the lady in the lake.

The Japanese versions actually have better names? Poor Mario. I hope that pregnancy juice isn't magic enough to work on him.

"Ushi no tane," which means "cow's seed."

Yeah. I don't think Mario would make that mistake if it was called that.

There are other people in Harvest Moon aside from farmers, you know. You could be the local blacksmith or librarian.

mori_pastel wrote:
MrLooney wrote:

You think so? Why do you like it so much? I've never really paid much attention to it, honestly.

Just the fact that it was portrayed positively. Click here (under Crystal Dragon Jesus)... if you dare:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HarvestMoon

I see religion or religious leaders being portrayed as horribly corrupt so often (in cases where religion is an active part of life)... Heck, look at Lunar 2. The church in that game seemed to exist entirely to siphon the power of the goddess into the leaders for their own personal gain.

On a side note, the people on the Ushi forum (not the chat) are really p***ing me off.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2011, 10:58 pm

MrLoony wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:
MrLooney wrote:

"Ushi no tane," which means "cow's seed."

Yeah. I don't think Mario would make that mistake if it was called that.

There are other people in Harvest Moon aside from farmers, you know. You could be the local blacksmith or librarian.

That is a fantastic point. But I'm afraid that if I was one of the non-farmers I'd be just like all those lazy people in the game. I'd sit around waiting for the farmer to come talk to me all day in my house! I know. I'm going to be the rancher. Sure, I'm terrified of animals in real life, but who could ever be scared of a cute, HM cow? You can keep the horse and the dog, though.

MrLooney wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:
MrLooney wrote:

Just the fact that it was portrayed positively. Click here (under Crystal Dragon Jesus)... if you dare:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HarvestMoon

I see religion or religious leaders being portrayed as horribly corrupt so often (in cases where religion is an active part of life)... Heck, look at Lunar 2. The church in that game seemed to exist entirely to siphon the power of the goddess into the leaders for their own personal gain.

On a side note, the people on the Ushi forum (not the chat) are really p***ing me off.

Oh, I dare! *click*

That is a good point that I'd never really thought about. Either religion is the bad guy or the game is making fun of it most of the time, yeah? Of course, I think this applies mostly to psuedo-Christian religions. I can think of a couple of examples where less... mainstream? religious are treated not horribly. Whatever you'd call the Native American religion, for instance. Or Shintoism.

I guess the thing about religion in games is that the creators only want it if it's playing a role in the game, otherwise it's just adding a layer of controversy for no reason. They can't let it just exist within the game without making a big deal out of it. And I think that's just what HM manages to accomplish. You're right. That is rather commendable.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 11:24 pm

mori_pastel wrote:
That is a fantastic point. But I'm afraid that if I was one of the non-farmers I'd be just like all those lazy people in the game. I'd sit around waiting for the farmer to come talk to me all day in my house! I know. I'm going to be the rancher. Sure, I'm terrified of animals in real life, but who could ever be scared of a cute, HM cow? You can keep the horse and the dog, though.

Butbutbut! HORSEY! ;____;

You know, if the HM world was more omnivorous, you wouldn't necessarily have to raise the beef cattle.

Actually... ever wonder what happens when you sell animals? :twisted:

I don't sell my animals... ever.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2011, 12:07 am

MrLooney wrote:
Butbutbut! HORSEY! ;____;

You know, if the HM world was more omnivorous, you wouldn't necessarily have to raise the beef cattle.

Actually... ever wonder what happens when you sell animals? Twisted Evil

I don't sell my animals... ever.

Ok, wow. That text comes out a lot different when you copy/paste it. Which is cool because now I can actually read what you wrote. XD

No. I have always, ALWAYS hated the horse. Just. No. You can have my horse and then you can have two horses and you can name them Horsey One and Horsey Two. I don't even feed my horses.

I would be a dairy farmer! Yes! Fantastic plan. With some sheep. Because they're even cuter than the cows.

D :

I tried selling chickens once and eventually figured out you didn't make much money from it. At least, not in that game. I think it was HM DS. I would never sell my cows. D : Or sheep.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:00 am

You can just hit the quote button and see it in the reply text.

OK, maybe you hate the HM horse, but if RL were like HM, it would be a RL horsey.

I name my sheep after Eeveelutions, so I can only have eight. No, seriously.

People generally sell animals just before they're going to die. I never liked that. It seemed like a power gamer kind of thing. Edit: Which is probably why I didn't mind the fact that it was gone from HMGB.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2011, 1:14 am

MrLoony wrote:
You can just hit the quote button and see it in the reply text.

OK, maybe you hate the HM horse, but if RL were like HM, it would be a RL horsey.

I name my sheep after Eeveelutions, so I can only have eight. No, seriously.

People generally sell animals just before they're going to die. I never liked that. It seemed like a power gamer kind of thing. Edit: Which is probably why I didn't mind the fact that it was gone from HMGB.

I'm just out of habit of pressing the quote button because I've been replying to so many multiple posts lately. @_@ By the way, did you know that if you try to type something with a quote in it in Word and the copy/paste it into the message box, your quotes won't work because apparently the forum now thinks you're using smart quotes even though they don't translate into this font, so it messes up the BBCode? Just a tidbit I learned this week.

I wouldn't hate my RL horse, I'd be scared of it! 0-0 I'm pretty chronically scared of anything bigger than a mouse. I do cats OK but dogs scare the crap out of me. Of course, people who are bigger than me (which is most of the adult population) scare me too. I'm easily intimidated by things I think could kick my ass in a fight. XD Plus, dogs smell my fear so they always freak out around me. "Oh, he's never bitten a soul in his life!" Yeah, well, he's never met me, has he?

Really? That is the most fantastic HM naming system I've ever heard of. I just start all mine off with the same letter or syllable. All my chickens are named Chi##, for instance.

I sometimes sell them before death, but only because the death sequence is so sad. : ( And then what was that game where you could read your animal's names on the gravestones? Gah! That was just depressing. I feel bad about selling non-chickens, though. It does feel power-gamer-ish.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:40 am

mori_pastel wrote:
I wouldn't hate my RL horse, I'd be scared of it! 0-0 I'm pretty chronically scared of anything bigger than a mouse. I do cats OK but dogs scare the crap out of me. Of course, people who are bigger than me (which is most of the adult population) scare me too. I'm easily intimidated by things I think could kick my ass in a fight. XD Plus, dogs smell my fear so they always freak out around me. "Oh, he's never bitten a soul in his life!" Yeah, well, he's never met me, has he?

Really? That is the most fantastic HM naming system I've ever heard of. I just start all mine off with the same letter or syllable. All my chickens are named Chi##, for instance.

Uh... cow. Even if you get Jersey cattle (I hope you would!), that's about a half a ton.

Chickens: Legendary birds (along with a few others such as Celebi or Shaymin), Sheep: Eevee/lutions, Cows: Legendary beasts, etc.

Hmmm... it seems I only have 8 beasts picked out (you can have a grand total of 20 cows and sheep in GB, which leaves me 4 short)

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 8:13 pm

I just went through the week without a bazaar in the first year (third bazaar of the fall season). It was really annoying. Items kept reducing in freshness and I didn't have enough space...

And, in the next bazaar, I didn't sell all my stuff. I made 60k, though. ;)

I expanded my storage space (second) and my bazaar stall (first), though.

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 8:33 pm

I always do totally seat of the pants naming - Just whatever the heck sounds good at the time. I've come up with some bizarre names in the years past...
I rarely reuse names between games - though I have had a few chickens named "That/This Bird" or just "Bird" (depending on character limit) and my dog is almost always named "Abs" for no good reason that I can recall.

In one games they were all Korean pop stars and The World Ends With You characters (because I'm a nerd like that) . One time they were all instruments (Cello, Triangle, Theremin, Bagpipe, Rainstick, etc) and usually there are a few totally random names tossed in for good measure (Floopy, Fart, Yeti, Soup, etc). Obviously I keep things sophisticated and intelligent. :lol:

I think I named some after the original elite four at some point too. :lol: They are mostly just totally random. :P

I sometimes name my chicken "cow," my cow "bird," and my sheep "dog" -- When inspiration runs low, of course.

My little sister always names her farm/ranch "Lonlon".

I think in 64 your dead animals had headstones. Man, it was so, so, so upsetting when barns collapsed! ):

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2011, 11:30 pm

I got totally distracted by the link to the TVTropes thing and when I finished reading I didn't feel like replying.

How do you go an entire year without having a bazaar? ._.

I usually use some of the same names I used in previous games. Like I started playing Harvest Moon a long time ago and when I got my dog I didn't know what to name him and so I chose "Pup" and kept naming my dogs that until this year I think. With the name of my farm I tried spelling "Merry" but I was really young so I couldn't spell very well so I ended up spelling it as "Mary" and I kept that up until late last year. Now it's Merry. And for normal animals I'll sometimes use the classic "Omelet" and such but other times I'll name them after things from things I like. Like I like to name my cows "Derse" now.

Ah, yeah, I remember how many of my animals died when I played Save The Homeland and I'd always see the tombstone. =(

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 4:59 am

BriannaBee wrote:
How do you go an entire year without having a bazaar? ._.

Quote:
the week without a bazaar

I kind of regret not naming the character "Talon" and the ranch/farm "Lon Lon" this time around. Instead, I went with Lu Xun and Jing (it's a Three Kingdoms reference).