Wouldn't you like to see this invented?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ebi
Raven
Raven

13 May 2006, 1:14 pm

Imagine going to the movies, a restaurant, a concert, or whatever place people use to gather and socialize. Then, you take out a cell phone-sized device out of your pocket which tells you which (girls/boys) in the place do have a (boyfriend/girlfriend), and which ones do not. So, you rule out the engaged ones, and begin looking among the single ones one that is attractive enough for you and start a conversation. I could certainly give some use to something like this - anything to avoid the dreadful "Do you have a (boyfriend/girlfriend)?" question and the subsequent fear of rejection (or worse, a potentially embarrasing situation involving his/her significant other). In the meantime, until technological progress catches up with us, we'll continue to be exposed to the hit-and-miss routine... :?

Anyway, just a thought.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2006, 1:57 pm

They have that in Japan. Go there ;)

I like your avatar, btw. Love seals.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 3:00 pm

That sounds like an interesting device, but I have one simple question:

What sort of technology can be used to read someone's mind to find out whether or not they have a girlfriend or boyfriend? Could it be some sort of mind-bending transponder or something?

- Ray M -

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 6:02 pm

My guess is that this would require people to have their own copies of this device, and you could place your own status (and change it accordingly). Dunno how it would change from room to room, though. What, would it have, like, a radar showing everyone within 20 feet of you as a red or green dot (or as a grey dot indicating that they didn't have this device)? Taking this thing out would be kinda tacky. Heh.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 6:08 pm

I don't believe this would be a popular idea. I have noticed that NT's like to flirt with each other reguardless of relationship statuses. I think that there is a thrill of mystery involved with NT flirting, and they'd hate having the truth revealed.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 8:43 pm

You know what might be neat? A device similar to what you have mentioned, which allows you to input your personality profile, perhaps like a Myer-Briggs personality profile which is fairly detailed. Then you could just walk around with it in your pocket and if someone has a similar device with a matching personality profile, it could alert you that a potential friend/mate is in your vicinity.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 9:05 pm

I suppose we'll have to stick with myspace/facebook in the meantime.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 10:18 pm

You know, I bet it wouldn't even be too hard to make either.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 11:14 pm

If it were just jsut a transmitter that you set the state(single,attached), I'd carry two... at least. And I'd set em all different.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 11:10 am

I'm pretty sure I saw the device of which you speak on tv a few years back.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 11:18 am

No doubt you'd still have some people who set their devices as attached when they're really single, and vice versa.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 3:08 pm

Ebi wrote:
Imagine going to the movies, a restaurant, a concert, or whatever place people use to gather and socialize. Then, you take out a cell phone-sized device out of your pocket which tells you which (girls/boys) in the place do have a (boyfriend/girlfriend), and which ones do not. So, you rule out the engaged ones, and begin looking among the single ones one that is attractive enough for you and start a conversation. I could certainly give some use to something like this - anything to avoid the dreadful "Do you have a (boyfriend/girlfriend)?" question and the subsequent fear of rejection (or worse, a potentially embarrasing situation involving his/her significant other). In the meantime, until technological progress catches up with us, we'll continue to be exposed to the hit-and-miss routine... :?

Anyway, just a thought.

I'll take this a step further, how about labels that tell you who is psycho/crazy, a golddigger, a slut, a player, lapdog, etc... guys have been thinking of this forever.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2006, 5:16 pm

Space wrote:
I'll take this a step further, how about labels that tell you who is psycho/crazy, a golddigger, a slut, a player, lapdog, etc... guys have been thinking of this forever.

Yeah, do like in Snow Crash and tatoo it in their forehead.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 4:00 am

Yeah, that labelling system could work like the feedback you get on ebay! You could be warned beforehand, knowing that the person has a 42% positive response rate.

:lol:

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 5:23 am

ion wrote:
Yeah, do like in Snow Crash and tatoo it in their forehead.

Or we could make them wear armbands!

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 4:07 pm

I've actually thought of a similar idea, although it is closer in similarity to MySpace. It involves a large database that allows people to search for singles in a specific geographic location. Such locations could include not just cities/provinces/countries, but educational institutions, workplaces, and small districts of an urban area (such as the Outremont neighbourhood of Montreal).

It wouldn't be like Lavalife, because it wouldn't include profiles, photos, or personal contact information. It would only include first and last name. It would allow me, for example, to search the faculty of the university I go to for just the names of single people. If my search turns up the name of someone I know and like, then I can go ahead and go for them.

Such a system would be set up to only permit me to search for people in the city I live in, the school I go to, or the place I work. I couldn't use it to harvest names of singles from across Europe, for example.