Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

nissa_amas_katoj
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm

I get KBS America as part of my DishNetwork package, it's a Korean language channel but most of their programs have English subtitles. I've gotten really hooked on some of the Korean dramas.

My current favorite is 'Grudge: the Revolt of Gumiho', but I am also watching 'Bread, Love and Dreams' and 'My Pitiful Sister'.

Anyone else share my obsession???

kip
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2010, 11:51 pm

I have never even heard of those shows, but those titles sure have me curious!

Are they like soaps or something?

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

nissa_amas_katoj

06 Sep 2010, 7:16 am

They're kind of like the Spanish telenovela, a continuing story that has a beginning and end. Some, like 'My Pitiful Sister' are more like American soaps in that they are aimed at a female audience, but others are for audiences of both sexes.

"Grudge: The Revolt of Gumiho" is a story in the fantasy genre about a woman who can transform into a fox and her daughter, who is threatened by a nobleman. It's got a lot of martial arts type stuff going on. It's my favorite so far and I'm hoping to buy the DVDs of it when they become available. There is more about it at http://www.hancinema.net/korean_drama_G ... Gumiho.php