Interesting Interview About Human Attitudes Towards Animals

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 7:34 am

I'd been sort of alarmed over the last few years at the extreme reactions some people have over incidents involving animals, namely the death threats and vitriol directed at perceived animal abusers. Just in the last few weeks we had the cat bin lady and the puppy thrower videos hit, and people, including some here, went absolutely nuts.

So, I was happy to come across this interview over at Salon.com with a man who's written a book about this very phenomenon and some of the reasons and contradictions behind it, the full interview is available through the link.

http://www.salon.com/life/noble_beasts/ ... me_we_love

Kerry Lauerman wrote:

Our collective animal passion has never seemed greater. Studies show we spend as much on our pets in a recession than when not in one, animal welfare laws continue to strengthen, and acts of animal cruelty caught on film and uploaded to the Web create global furor and condemnation. Animals, their furry forebears would surely say, have never had it so good.

Or have they? In his fascinating new book, "Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat," Hal Herzog looks at the wild, tortured paradoxes in our relationship with the weaker, if sometimes more adorable, species. A professor of psychology at Western Carolina University, Herzog studies our complicated relationship with animals, from our devotion to our dogs, to our increasing devotion to that barbecued brisket.

We spoke to Herzog Friday about his new book, asking him about the notorious "cat bin lady" and "puppy throwing girl," whether children who harm animals grow up to be serial killers, and whether we'll have to come to peace with the undeniable similarities between the animals we love, and those we love to eat.

Why is it so hard to think straight about animals?

I think it's the human-meat relationship. The fact is, very few people are vegetarians; even most vegetarians eat meat. There have been several studies, including a very large one by the Department of Agriculture, where they asked people one day: Describe your diet. And 5 percent said they were vegetarians. Well, then they called the same people back a couple of days later and asked them about what they ate in the last 24 hours. And over 60 percent of these vegetarians had eaten meat. And so, the fact is, the campaign for moralized meat has been a failure. We actually kill three times as many animals for their flesh as we did when Peter Singer wrote "Animal Liberation" [in 1975]. We eat probably 20 percent more meat than we did when he wrote that book. Even though people are more concerned about animals, it seems like that's been occurring. The question is, why?

And, by the way, I think that the argument against eating meat is very strong....

If you have the time I'd highly recommend reading the somewhat lengthy full piece, it's both very timely and insightful.