Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 12:59 pm

MIAMI — A church planning to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11 is 'definitely praying' about the controversial demonstration, its pastor said after Gen. David Petraeus warned it would put in danger the lives of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan.

In an interview on CNN, Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach Church in Gainesville, Fla., appeared to suggest church members might decide not to go ahead with the controversial demonstration.

Jones, author of a book called "Islam is of The Devil," told CNN's "American Morning" show that the burning was designed to send a message to radical Islam.

But when he was asked about the views of Petraeus, the U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, Jones said: "We are actually very, very concerned of course; we are taking the general's words serious. We are continuing to pray about the action on September 11. But we don't know, how long do we back down?"

Pressed on whether this meant the church might decide not to burn the Quran, Jones told the show: "We have firmly made up our mind, but at the same time, we are definitely praying about it."

"We are weighing the thing that we are about to do. What it possibly could cause, what is our actual message, what are we trying to get across?" he added.

A Facebook group has been set up called 'International Burn A Koran Day' and is linked to from the church's website. As of Tuesday morning, it had 8,539 members.

A member of the church, Fran Ingram, told msnbc.com that they had a "stack of about 150" Qurans, which she said had been sent from across the world. "We are expecting to burn about 200 at least," she said.

"I think we should go ahead personally," Ingram added. "That's what I think. I stand with the pastors. We need to go ahead with it."

However, asked about how she would feel if the church decided to abandon the event, she told msnbc.com: "I would be in agreement ... not like a puppet on a string ... I believe in the word of God. We are hearing what God wants us to do."

She said "a few of the pastors" would burn the Qurans on a field outside the church, while she and other members of the congregation remained inside. "They are going to take the risk," Ingram said.

On Monday, Petraeus said the Quran-burning event would be exploited by the Taliban.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," he said. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world, we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Lt. Gen. William Caldwell, commander of the NATO Training Mission in Afghanistan, told CNN the news of event was already provoking popular anger in Afghanistan.

"It's their Holy Book, so when somebody says that they're going to destroy that and cause a desecration to something that's very sacred to them, it's already stirred up a lot of discussion and concern amongst the people," he said.

"We very much feel that this could jeopardize the safety of our men and women that are serving over here," Caldwell added.

'Death to America'
In Kabul, several hundred demonstrators, mostly students from religious schools who gathered outside Kabul's Milad ul-Nabi mosque on Monday, rallied to protest against the church's plan.

"We call on America to stop desecrating our Holy Quran," student Wahidullah Nori told Reuters. Some in the crowd chanted "Death to America."

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul said the "United States government in no way condones such acts of disrespect against the religion of Islam, and is deeply concerned about deliberate attempts to offend members of religious or ethnic groups".

"Americans from all religious and ethnic backgrounds reject this offensive initiative by this small group in Florida, a great number of American voices are protesting the hurtful statements made by this organization," it said in a statement.

The Dove World Outreach Church describes itself as "New Testament, Charismatic, Non-Denominational."

The church's website says it seeks to "expose Islam" as a "violent and oppressive religion." It displays a sign reading "Islam is of the Devil."

The website's front page has a blog by Ingram entitled "Ten Reasons to Burn a Koran."

'We do not hate any people'
"We are using this act [burning the Quran] to warn about the teaching and ideology of Islam, which we do hate as it is hateful. We do not hate any people, however. We love, as God loves, all the people in the world," Ingram wrote in the article, dated Sept. 2.

The dispute comes at a time of already heated debate over a proposal to build a cultural center and mosque two blocks away from the site in New York of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center.

Opponents of the building plan say it is insensitive to families of the victims of the attacks by al-Qaida.

U.S.-backed Afghan forces toppled the Taliban government in Afghanistan soon after those attacks for harboring al-Qaida leaders, including Osama bin Laden.

Demonstrations and riots triggered by reported desecration of the Quran are not infrequent in Afghanistan and other Muslim countries. The most violent protests came after cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a Danish newspaper in 2006.

Last January, Afghan troops shot and killed eight demonstrators and wounded 13 in southern Helmand province in a riot triggered by a report that foreign troops had desecrated the Quran during a raid. A spokesman for NATO forces denied the report.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to wonder what "god" will tell him. Maybe "god" will change "his" "mind" after everyone else pointed out what a horrible, stupid idea it is.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 1:07 pm

Freaking hypocritical nutcases.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Sep 2010, 1:07 pm

why do people think god is talking to them? ive never heard his voice, maybe he hates me :lol:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 1:22 pm

richardbenson wrote:
why do people think god is talking to them? ive never heard his voice, maybe he hates me :lol:

I have...but I was on some pretty fun drugs at the time.

/the prophets used to take the same drugs to contact "god"

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 2:15 pm

the arrogance of religion is beyond my understanding. are humans such beings that they allow myths and ghosts to control their every thought, their every action? oh wait, silly question.....of course they do.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 2:28 pm

danandlouie wrote:
the arrogance of religion is beyond my understanding. are humans such beings that they allow myths and ghosts to control their every thought, their every action? oh wait, silly question.....of course they do.

No....they just use them to justify their every thought and action. That and influence/control others.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 3:06 pm

I always thought this plan to burn the Korans was a bad idea to begin with. Why are people letting them continue with this insanity?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 3:33 pm

Jono wrote:
I always thought this plan to burn the Korans was a bad idea to begin with. Why are people letting them continue with this insanity?

As long as these bozos burn their own copy of the Q'ran they have broken no laws.

ruveyn

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Sep 2010, 3:53 pm

They have the right to freedom of expression but I agree with General Petraeus's reasoning, they shouldn't because it put's the lives of the troops at additional risk. I think Islam should be rebuked but it should be done in a much more constructive way.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 4:01 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Jono wrote:

As long as these bozos burn their own copy of the Q'ran they have broken no laws.

ruveyn

Probably not but it will anger Muslims. Remember how the Muslims reacted to those Mohammed cartoons? Well, making a bonfire of Korans would arguably more offensive.

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2010, 4:07 pm

Al-Qaeda must be loving this. Their recruitment officers won't be able to keep up with the demand from new recruits.

Bin Laden must be dancing in his cave.

"How can it not know what it is?"

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 4:10 pm

I really don't care if it offends Muslims, they'll get mad about anything since it's a violent religion. The reason you don't do this is because it needlessly endangers American and other allied troops but then again, the whole war is needlessly endangering troops.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 4:11 pm

Jacoby wrote:
They have the right to freedom of expression but I agree with General Petraeus's reasoning, they shouldn't because it put's the lives of the troops at additional risk. I think Islam should be rebuked but it should be done in a much more constructive way.

Even beyond that, would Christians appreciate bibles being burned because of priests molesting children? I know the ADL would be all over any kind of event that involved the Torah being burned.

Anyways, my signature says it all.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 4:25 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Even beyond that, would Christians appreciate bibles being burned because of priests molesting children? I know the ADL would be all over any kind of event that involved the Torah being burned.

Of course not and as I said about burning the Quran, it's not productive. What point besides hate does that convey?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 4:59 pm

Jono wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Jono wrote:

ruveyn

Probably not but it will anger Muslims. Remember how the Muslims reacted to those Mohammed cartoons? Well, making a bonfire of Korans would arguably more offensive.

I hope the day never comes that our fear of "offending" the Muslims will act like a ball and chain upon us. Screw them, if they are offended. No one should be prevented from doing a legal act.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 5:01 pm

Jacoby wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Of course not and as I said about burning the Quran, it's not productive. What point besides hate does that convey?

I must have misread your post. It seemed to be diminutive to the aspect of that it's just plain wrong and focused on just the aspect of worsening relations with Muslims and endangering troops.