How much privacy do you need? How private are you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

chasingthesun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Sep 2010, 2:46 pm

I have other things going on that led me to accidentally become a chronic over-sharer, but I'm working on it and realized how much I hate it. I like a lot of privacy; I feel uncomfortable with people looking through anything of mine, even when I've nothing to hide.

I lived for a while in a place where I didn't have a real room, just the living room with a room divider and it was an absolute nightmare. I had a terrible time sleeping whenever I thought that one of my roommates might see me asleep, I would wear headphones to watch movies and television or listen to music on my computer, etc.

Now I'm back in a place with a proper bedroom and a door and it's so, so much better. I spend any free time I have in my room, by myself. I really can't get by without that.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 2:47 pm

Alla wrote:
How private are you in general? Do you need lots of privacy and do you tell people (especially family & significant others) where you go, what you do, etc.?

It's funny because I have no curtains on a couple of windows yet I never tell anyone where I am going. Not telling them hasn't anything to do with me thinking of them as an intrusion, I just go without thinking to tell them which is stupid but it doesn't occur to me to tell anyone. I just go.
I am not a huge privacy nut. I don't really care if people look into my backyard because there is only a chain link fence surrounding it and not a wooden stockade one. There's nothing that exciting about me, so I don't think too many people are interested, anyway.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 2:55 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I see privacy as very important. I don't tell any information about myself (including my name) to anyone I don't completely trust, and I'll be damned if I post photos of myself online. Many see me as paranoid due to the mere fact I set all my passwords to long strings of nonsense and encrypt all the data on my phones. But I simply see it as common sense.

So do I. It took a LOT for me to even create a profile here--hence, all the anonymity.

Woodpecker wrote:
Well I value the ability to divide up my life into different compartments.

On the wrong planet only a handful of people know my first name, only one member knows my full name. I do not want to sound paranoid but you have to be careful on the internet, most people are nice and decent but some very nasty sharks are out there.

And that's why I was so hesitant. I never got a MySpace or Facebook page, either.

FemmeFatale wrote:
...I use non-human photos (cats, cartoon characters, etc.) in profiles on Facebook, myspace, etc.

Notice my avatar? :lol:

I did the same thing when I was a GA for an online class. The professor posted her photo and mini-bio, and asked me to do the same. I was fine with the mini-bio (all "professional" accomplishments and interests--nothing personal at all) but used a set of scales to represent myself (and went on to explain why I enrolled in a Crim J program in the first place). Several students said they liked it. :)

So yes, I'd say that privacy is VERY important to me.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

FemmeFatale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2010, 3:03 pm

I guess I am private. I have been lurking at WP for many months and only recently became a member and had the courage to post. So accustomed to answering questions and or sharing information only to be told (by friends or family) that my opinions are not normal or appreciated. I try not to share accomplishments (such as finally completing college) because I am told that sharing information like that (even in normal conversation) makes me appear boastful. So I surround myself with talkative people, remain silent and allow them to say whatever they want even if it is total bs. It keeps me out of trouble and I am seen as a shy person - but I'm not shy!

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2010, 3:00 am

Almost to an unhealthy degree.