Violent Stim Twitching - Certain clothes/music help?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ProfessorCrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2010, 11:43 pm

Hello, Wrong Planet.

I'm a diagnosed Aspie that only recently (August) became aware of my diagnosis. (I'm a minor, they didn't tell me until I was "Ready", but that's another story for another time.)

I've always exhibited repetitive physical motions, ticking, twitching, and things like that. As I've read, I've found this to be a fairly common trait in individuals with Aspergers. Stimming, as it's called.

However, I've also read that most people Stim when nervous, anxious, or to make themselves more comfortable. I for one, Stim very very often, even when I'm not consciously feeling nervous or out of place.

My "stimming" includes :

-Erratic ticking of the head left and right.
-Rolling my shoulders repetitively.
-Patting, thumping, and twitching my fingers in the air and against objects.
-Cocking my head and slowly waving one or both hands in front of me, mostly during conversation. This is never to illustrate what I'm saying, and is quite random and subconscious.
-Other smaller Stims

And here is the interesting part that I have not read about, and that is that certain clothes and sounds/music slow down/occasionally cease these Stims entirely.

My hands and fingers are usually rather dormant when I'm wearing gloves. Therefore, for many years (including since before I knew about my Aspergers) I've worn gloves. Usually fingerless for dexterity, and usually light cloth to keep them lightweight and out of the way.

I'm not interested in wearing them for style, which is why I usually just buy a big pack of black cloth gloves and cut the fingers off, wearing a pair until they get too worn out, in which I trash them and grab another pair.

Clothes like vests, blazers, and longcoats help me from stimming with my shoulders and other areas the clothes are on.

Finally, collared jackets / ties help keep my neck (head ticking) still.

Obviously this creates a strange image, as I often wear a nice outfit and then an out of place pair of fingerless gloves. I'm not trying to go for a punk look by any means, it's just what I wear to stay comfortable.

Finally, certain types of music calm me and keep my brain functioning soundly in public / anxious environments. With gloves, a nice long casual blazer, and Zoe Keating in my ears, I can confidently go about public business with no problem.

If anyone of these factors were to be taken away, I'd be much less productive in public.

Am I the only one that stims almost constantly? The only one who knows that certain clothes can cease the embarrassing stimming? Certain music?

Thanks for your time,

-Crow

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2010, 11:50 pm

Stimming doesn't have to be because you're nervous. You can be aware of it or unaware. Music would stimulate senses, and certain clothing (typically heavy or tight items) will make one more comfortable or achieve the same effect so stimming is reduced. I think it's just more likely for someone to stim when nervous.