Research finds that HFCS prompts considerable weight gain

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:00 pm

skafather84 wrote:
The pervasiveness of HFCS in products is why the research is so important and why it's a political issue: something that's literally shown to make you fatter than with regular sugar at the same caloric intake. It's a health concern for the population at large and it's being promoted by government funded programs. If the agriculture industry needs to keep its subsidies then the other options aren't as pretty...tax manufacturers who use it (along with preventing those costs from being directly passed on to the customer...good luck with that) or an outright ban (this may not be a bad idea...took care of lead based paint and asbestos insulation).

From the sound of things the FDA has bigger fish to fry than Philip Morris right now. This is one of those cases where I'd actually love to see the bigger insurance companies lobby Washington - even if its just for something as shallow as wanting the world around me to look better.

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:49 pm

skafather84 wrote:
So...umm...can we stop the corn subsidies so that we can stop being fattened up by sub-par sugar substitutes?
As if corn subsidies aren't bad enough, there is also a sugar Tariff.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 8:52 pm

sartresue wrote:
Ska, your idea regarding Cuba is sensible. I hope your government takes up this challenge.

That was Orwell's idea. I like it except that Louisiana has a nice sugarcane industry as well and I wouldn't mind my home state seeing some more money.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2010, 9:29 pm

skafather84 wrote:
sartresue wrote:
Ska, your idea regarding Cuba is sensible. I hope your government takes up this challenge.

That was Orwell's idea. I like it except that Louisiana has a nice sugarcane industry as well and I wouldn't mind my home state seeing some more money.

Americans consume a lot of sugar, I'm sure we'll buy Louisiana sugarcane as well. Perhaps we can take some of those corn subsidies and send them towards American sugarcane production instead.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 10:06 pm

Orwell wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
sartresue wrote:

Americans consume a lot of sugar, I'm sure we'll buy Louisiana sugarcane as well. Perhaps we can take some of those corn subsidies and send them towards American sugarcane production instead.

By the lists provided of just corporate use...yeah, Americans consume a lot of sugar.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 6:33 am

BTW, I keep hearing that they still have a problem with over-subsidizing Florida, supposedly that's a good part of the reason why corn syrup has made such a big debut? They'll need to sort that one out because as long as something is priced out of industrial demand not much will happen in the meantime.