Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2010, 6:35 pm

Sometimes a complete musical phrase comes together in my mind but when I translate it with an instrument its usually a little different. Ive never finished a song in my head. Maybe some day I could have the skills to do that.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 4:56 am

thanks everyone, really interesting.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 7:10 am

Before I'm sleeping, I come up with really good music in my head.. then I only remember the lyrics the next day!! ! Why can't it be a real song?

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Sep 2010, 7:48 am

I have it when I wake up, there is a melody in my head. Sometimes it's a song I know and sometimes it's a new melody. I can also hear music in my dreams. It's not that there is music playing but I hear it as part of the dream like in a film.

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Sep 2010, 8:48 am

Sometimes I can come up with something, but it takes AGES and it's usually only 20 seconds long at the most.

I can barely read notes/tablature, unfortunately. :(

That is something I hope to change in the near future.

Edit: Songs already written by other artists, I can play perfectly in my head. Most of the time. :D

Also, I can play bits and pieces of them completely by ear.

Last edited by Wraythen on 18 Sep 2010, 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 11:57 am

rocknrollslc wrote:
who else can hear/compose songs in their head? i'm super curious how common this is...

---

Have a very, very limited ability to hear any song at all in my head. At the same time, over the years, have learned to play the piano to the point of being able to use a simplified Fake Book and reproduce parts of the songs listed.

At the same time, I do recognize songs which I have heard before - especially songs with no human voices. When a human voice is part of the song, it depends on the speed the musician uses. If the musician sings rapidly, I often can catch most of it; if the singer extends parts of words (opera) and so on, I tend to miss most of it.

Today, for me, part (not all) of the explanation is central auditory processing disorder (CAPD)/a glitch in aspects of working memory/short term memory/related areas.

I am able to compose, on paper, very short, simple songs of thirty seconds (or less) but it's closer to a very simple melody (right hand - piano) with zero chords (left hand - piano).

My natural attention span is so short that I could not learn Morse Code (ADHD Inattentive including central auditory processing disorder) dots and dashes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_the_brain

I have met a musician who had the ability to sit down in a living room and write music for about a ten piece band as easily as one would write a letter to a friend. I've met a (non-)musician who purchased an electronic keyboard for about $200 and in less than one week, wrote a one minute song. The (non-)musician did have piano lessons as a child.

I tend to feel that great ease with music is a gift given to only about 1/10,000 persons (entering the area of perfect musical pitch).

There are cases where both parents have almost zero musical ability yet one of their children has a great gift for music.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 3:02 pm

More than anything else, having some kind of magic way to "record" sounds in my head, would be nothing less than invaluable. I can imagine and daydream, and basically have my own song being composed in a Steam of Consciousness, in my head. The most horrible problem is my memory, I seem to have more than one instrument in mind playing at once, so remembering everything I'm hearing is hard. Even if I'm lucky enough to get one instrument part written out, I usually forget what the others are doing. ;-;

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 6:33 pm

rocknrollslc wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
rocknrollslc wrote:
who else can hear/compose songs in their head? i'm super curious how common this is...

im a non-musician music enthusiast.
Lke everyone I can hear tunes in my head.

But Ive never heard an ORIGINAL tune in my head.

Im curious (a) do you have musical training (read notes, play instruments).
If so than (B) did you already have this propensiy before you got formal training ( ie was it something you were born with) or did it result FROM musical training?

Great composers "hear" the music just from reading a score.
But can you even read music? If not thats all the more remarkable.

ya i read music and tablature, and i can pick up just about any instrument. guitar and vocals is my specialty.

i started classical training on the piano when i was almost five and i took for six or seven years; my memory doesn't serve me well enough to determine whether it came from musical training. i do have perfect pitch though, and i can also hear a frequency or frequencies in my head (say, A4, G3, C#1, or all three at the same time), so maybe i was born with it?? idk

Okay.you're not as bizarre as I thought you might be.
you're propensity and your training evolved hand in hand in your childhood. That makes sense. Not that it isnt still a talent and a gift. Hope you can build on it somehow, atleast for fun, if not for profit as well.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 4:31 am

no, i am pretty f***ing bizzare. check out my former band, might have made a dollar or two on homeade cds after breaking even lol http://www.myspace.com/chicagotypewriter187

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Sep 2010, 10:21 am

I get songs stuck in my head a lot & I sometimes think of parodies for em

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2010, 11:38 am

Dnuos wrote:
More than anything else, having some kind of magic way to "record" sounds in my head, would be nothing less than invaluable. I can imagine and daydream, and basically have my own song being composed in a Steam of Consciousness, in my head. The most horrible problem is my memory, I seem to have more than one instrument in mind playing at once, so remembering everything I'm hearing is hard. Even if I'm lucky enough to get one instrument part written out, I usually forget what the others are doing. ;-;

I'm a songwriter myself, and I get around this issue by having a portable sequencer that can operate on batteries or electricity. This enables me to put all the drum, bass and keyboard parts down before I forget them (I sometimes do this on the train home from work). Then I record the guitars and vocals on my computer.

Musicprophets
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

i do this all the time, sometimes at the most awkward random moments. i make up my own little songs on stupid %#&!

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 1:50 pm

I sometimes either hear odd classical music in my head, often accompanied by pictures usually involving ballrooms and a woman with a gun sent to assasinate someone, or music box versions of many, many songs (mostly Vocaloid Touhou covers such as Bad Apple!! !, a song about a hikikomori). I sometimes just here songs that I've listened to, which is normal.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 3:28 pm

The songs that I get stuck in my is when I come home from Church on sunday. The Hyms we do I will just start suddenly sing.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 2:04 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I can, it's like my life has a mental soundtrack almost.
yes, me too. some are songs i already know, others are songs i write.