Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2010, 2:49 pm

I am just curious, not saying I am going to do this or that it is good or bad - just a thought that occurred to me.

Has anyone ever used a topical pain reliever to help with SPD issues, e.g. putting it on feet so socks do not cause pain? Would this even work considering the biology behind SPD? Is it something that might be of value in conjuction with OT?

I thought of this because one of the major pain reliever brands (Tylenol or Advil, or some major brand) now offers a topical cream.

I am asking this as a person that is very uneducated about the treatment and biology of SPD, I only know the symptoms (we are at the beginning of this learning process).

Thanks.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 7:26 pm

I'm not sure what SPD stands for?

I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately, but didn't want your question to drop too far down before finding an informed response.

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2010, 9:15 pm

Sensory Processing Disorder. E.g. can't wear socks because they hurt (in our case, but some can be the opposite, don't feel pain).

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:16 pm

Have you tried brushing or weighting him? These two things worked well for us to "desensitize" my daughter when she was having very bad tactile sensitivity.

Sounds strange but it does wonders for "short circuiting" the over active sensory system. I wouldn't think topical pain relievers would work. It's not actual pain per se, but an over active reaction to the tactile sensation he is experiencing. It is a systemic issue, not in the touch sensors in his feet. This is just what I intuitively gather from dealing with my daughter.

Have you tried rolling him in a tight blanket before it's time to put his shoes on? My daughter likes to be rolled tight in a blanket and then brushed the length of her body. Try it and see if it helps. You may have to try all kinds of "crazy" things to see what helps him. It doesn't get better overnight, but you will see small differences that will encourage you to keep going with it.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 2:04 am

bjtao wrote:
Sensory Processing Disorder. E.g. can't wear socks because they hurt (in our case, but some can be the opposite, don't feel pain).

Thanks. I was going to guess it was the sensory issues but I've always heard it referred to as Sensory Integration Dysfunction. And if those are two separate variations on the same thing I really ... don't think I want to know about it.

Dealing with the sensory issues definitely takes creativity, but much of it will get better over time. That is one area where they will either outgrow parts, or learn to adapt to where they aren't even aware they are adapting for parts. Some issues increase, but most decrease.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 2:27 am

Don't use a topical pain reliever. You might hear us describe it as pain, but it's not coming from the pain nerves. It's going on in the brain; the pain nerves aren't stimulated. See, there are nerves in your skin for temperature, pain, light touch and firm touch. Unless you just make the whole area numb, but that's an obviously horrible idea. The "sensory issues" are actually going on in the brain, not the body.

Just let him not wear socks; that's a viable solution. (I speak from personal experience.) Maybe look into OT (Occupational Therapy).

NOT A DOCTOR

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2010, 8:02 pm

We haven't started any OT at home or elsewhere yet. It is next on my list to research. You guys answered my question, thanks!

LilaAutism
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Sep 2010, 11:26 am

All three of my kiddos were one big ball of sensory issues. I found it I went out of my way to massage his feet that my son got better with socks and sand. He came down of his toes by putting a weighted belt around his waist. He still wears a weighted baseball hat. I got seamless socks for my daughter and she wore them for years.

Learn about the benefits of deep pressure and how and when to use it and a sensory diet. I said this in another post of yours but do try the Learning Breakthrough program it really helped with my kiddos sensory issues.