Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

kay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2010, 3:52 am

is anyone else addicted to starbucks and or coffee in general? I find its the only thing that prevents melt downs, helps me sleep focus and relax.
I dont get it considering coffee is a stimulant :?

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 4:19 am

kay wrote:
is anyone else addicted to starbucks and or coffee in general? I find its the only thing that prevents melt downs, helps me sleep focus and relax.

Adderall is a stimulant, but it has benefits in helping people with attention-deficit disorder to focus and concentrate, which can have a calming and relaxing side-effect because it reduces the stress of confused sensory overload. Sensory overload and attention deficit are present in the majority of people with AS and autism, and the effective dose is usually quite small.

Small doses of anti-anxiety and sedative drugs can also help.

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2010, 4:59 am

I like Starbucks. There used to be three Starbucks cafés in my state, but they all got closed down :x
Caffeine doesn't seem to have any sort of effect on me.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

kay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2010, 5:00 am

Yeah the psychologist did suggest I had ADHD too, I'm on sedatives now and they seem to have the reverse effect in that I spend less time feeling overloaded and anxious enabling me to focus on more productive things. I found the beta blockers made me have palpations and panic

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2010, 5:11 am

The medication I'm on at the moment seems to cause a really bad reaction when taken with caffeine, it gives me palpitations and makes me feel really spaced out and I found it quite scary, so I had to stop drinking it altogether. Even before I found it worsened my anxiety so didn't like drinking a lot of it.

I love coffee though as long as it's decaf - I prefer Cafe Nero to Starbucks and I love their mocha's. I like the ambience of Nero's too though, when it's not really busy I find them very relaxing places to just chill out, and the lighting isn't too over-stimulating for me.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 5:59 am

I love coffee. I drink it every day - both in the morning and in the afternoon. My family pretty much runs on coffee. :lol:

I only recall trying one coffee from Starbucks. I remember liking it, but I haven't really gone back there.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 6:33 am

how do you know it is not caffeine withdrawl that is causing those things when you stop drinking it?

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 7:39 am

kay wrote:

---

What you share is exactly what coffee - caffeine - does for some users (not everyone).

Coffee - caffeine compounds - is a known weak central nervous system stimulant - alerting agent.

The chemist who discovered caffeine was awarded the Nobel Prize over one hundred years ago because caffeine is an important molecule.

Caffeine works for a few of those with ADHD (not all of those with ADHD) and works better than Ritalin. Sources: The Hyperactive Child book by Domeena C. Renshaw, M.D. and the How To (understand) Hyperactivity book (1981) about ADHD Inattentive by C. Thomas Wild.

Caffeine, coffee, Ritalin, Dexedrine, Adderall, etc. are not cures for ADHD but, for a few, they do reduce some symptoms a little for a number of hours.

http://www.rsna.org/rsna/media/pr2005/Coffee.cfm (Short-term memory)
http://www.coffeescience.org/alert (Paying attention)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alertness

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 12:17 pm

Love coffee!

They know me by name at the local Starbucks.

QuelOround
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2010, 12:56 pm

Yes.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 1:15 pm

I love starbucks, especially the chai tea. I like coffee, too. I've actually taken to drinking it without sugar. Perhaps some milk, but no sugar. If I put sugar in it, it tastes too much like the coffee we drank at my great grandmother's.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 4:26 pm

8O 8O 8O 8O Coffee is the worst smell in the world to me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 5:09 pm

kay wrote:
Yeah the psychologist did suggest I had ADHD too, I'm on sedatives now and they seem to have the reverse effect in that I spend less time feeling overloaded and anxious enabling me to focus on more productive things. I found the beta blockers made me have palpations and panic
Paradoxical reactions. Make sure to inform your doctors when they put you on new meds that you've reacted oddly to medication in the past. It might prompt them to start at a lower dose, or have you stay in the waiting room for a little while after your first dose in case of a bad reaction. Doctors need to know about that kind of thing, just in case a new medication is one you will react oddly to.

Oh--and, yes, I love coffee. I used to use it to help with ADHD; but since I've been on stimulants (extended release and low dose, otherwise I'd go nuts on them), I've switched to decaf coffee. It's better not to get too much of a dose of stimulants.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2010, 5:23 pm

I dont do well on stimulants even though i was able to concentrate better I became more agressive and irritable like a drug addict on the adderall and felt sick the first week on it. I dont like coffe or any caffine but i love hot chocolate.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 5:48 pm

I like the teas that Starbucks serves up. They're really good. I can't drink coffee, so I order the teas, or an iced tea instead.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 8:24 pm

I love coffee in general, and do enjoy Starbucks on occasion. I have no problems sleeping even if I have an after dinner espresso shot.