Anyone takes public transportation to work?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hitokage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2010, 8:15 am

I've been having problems finding employment because of commute problems. Since I've moved to Frederick, Maryland with my parents, a commute for almost any of the positions I get contacted is always over an hour and fifteen minutes, and that's without traffic. I tried using public transportation, but it doesn't shorten commute time at all and causes me even more stress that I can't deal with.

I first looked into riding the MARC train, which is Maryland's version of the VRE mentioned by luvsterriers. I never bothered trying this for a few reasons. First, even though it's the Maryland commuter rail system, it originates from Charles Town, West Virginia at least half of it trips, instead of Frederick which they seem to consider a branch off the route, so the times I can depart from Frederick are reduced. Add in the fact that it takes longer to get to DC then a commuter bus/driving and Metro combination and you can forget it.

At one point I tried taking the commuter bus to the Metro stop at Shady Grove, but it made that leg of the trip take longer. The bus was almost always packed, if not full (which left people to have to wait for the next one or just drive), and uncomfortable - even though the buses were tour type buses and not the regular mass-transit type. The bus had no worthwhile advantage to me - other then less gas and not having to pay for parking. The route taken (I-270) doesn't have an HOV lane until after the exit for the Metro station, so the commute wasn't any shorter and actually would take longer because I had to drive out of the way for the bus stop, and then wait for it to arrive. Survey says [X] - first strike.

Driving to the Metro stop doesn't seem bad until you add in traffic and weather conditions. Then you have to find parking, which is almost impossible after six/six-thirty in the morning. Add in any delays with the trains, of which there are many, and I could never seem to get to work on-time. I have many of the problems others have listed and being stuck on there for over fifty minutes - forget it. Short trips I can manage, like if I use it to get away for lunch, but other then that - second strike [X][X].

Driving all the way. No matter what there was stress. It was either traffic, for another job it was from trying to get up extra early to arrive before any traffic (I have sleep problems, so getting up early wasn't helping with stress), to my last position which was ever so slightly closer and was working overnight, but the road I had to travel to get there (GW parkway) has no lights and lots of deer. Add in a job where you can't be even a second late, but have to wait around and can't start for half-an-hour do to shared desks and other equipment - third strike [X][X][X].

hitokage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2010, 6:33 am

luvsterriers wrote:
he pay isn't that great and the cost of the commute is high. It is $10 per day to take the train (to work and back) and $4.50 per day to park. Some metro parking lots are $5.00 So it is basically around $200 a month just on commute

I meant to mention something about this - one way to save is to get a 7-Day Fast Pass (aka Weekly Fast Pass), which I used to do. It costs less the five days worth of round trips at maximum fair (it's $47 instead of $50), it's good for seven consecutive days starting on the day it's first used, and if you need or want to go elsewhere via the train it would be like a free trip. It also doesn't have the restrictions the Short Trip Pass or One Day Pass have, so you can use it at any time all day for any trip length. The only way this doesn't save you money is if the Metro parking lot is one where it has different rates for riders and non-riders - i.e. like New Carrollton which is shared with Amtrak and MARC trains.

One other thing I have difficulty with the train is I don't feel comfortable reading, listing to music, etc. - I always feel too self conscious.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 10:24 am

luvsterriers wrote:
What is OAP?

Old age pensioner.

I take public transit everyday. Because my stop is near the end of one of the lines, my strategy is to get on an outbound train, ride it to the end of the line and guarantee myself a single seat for the journey in. It adds about 15 minutes to my commute, but it allows me to sit in the corner of the car, nearest the door that is nearest the exit at my destination station.

Fortunately, I can read on moving vehicles, so between my single-seat, corner position and having my head down to my reading material, I am left undisturbed. :)

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2010, 9:36 pm

I have to use the bus to get back and forth to college every day.

In the past two years, Colorado Springs's bus system, Mountain Metropolitan Transit, had their service cut in half due to the budget crisis. That means no more service on evenings or weekends, which made it much harder for many people to get around. They had to sell half of their bus fleet. The most recent cuts took reduced the frequency of the bus route I take downtown to once an hour. There goes my carefully planned schedule down the drain to be replaced with lots of stress!

Here are the main positives of riding the bus:
- No need to drive on Academy Blvd
- No need to worry about finding a parking place
- Possibility of making new friends

Here are the negatives of riding the bus:
-Kids making a lot of noise
-People staring, glaring, or shooting disapproving looks at me
-Teen girls giving me looks of fear, especially when I am very stressed or anxious
-Waiting at the downtown terminal for an hour if the bus is running ten minutes late