superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2010, 6:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Speaking as a WP moderator I just want to add that having multiple accounts to evade a ban is against the site rules, as I'm sure everyone is aware. We also tend to know when someone is a sock puppet. There are a two or three people currently under observation. Mentioning no names, but you know who you are and so do we. One in particular is hovering very close to a ban again - if they break any site rules they are out.

But this is what confuses me, when you know a member is a sockpuppet and they are evading their ban, why don't you guys ban them right away right after you find out? That is telling me it is okay to do.

I know one member here who did that and it took you guys a while to ban her even though you guys knew who she was.

It sometimes takes a while to be sure, especially if they come back and play by the site rules and don't attract attention to themselves. There are lots of new members every day, just because someone seems to have similarities to a banned member doesn't mean they necessarily are that person. It would be unforgivable to ban an innocent "newbie" by mistake. The principle used is "give them enough rope" - in other words see how they behave until it becomes more clear. If a "newbie" behaves like a troll on day one then it attracts more attention and they are easier to pick out.

Okay that makes sense. I just remember DW a mom telling that person out in the open she knows who she is and she sent the information to the mods about it and I was wondering why she was still here. Now I know it's because you guys weren't sure.

Can you go by IPs and wouldn't it match their previous account? Or can that be hard because they sometimes switch IPs or use the forum from another location?

They could do that but the chances are that the person is using a proxy to hide from the mods but as for me, I didn't since I deliberately wanted the mods to know who I really am.

Some people have dynamic IP addresses so it wouldn't give a accurate information on their information, especially if the member is on AOL broadband as sometimes they will be displayed as using a proxy.

Sometimes, you can have multiple IP's and maybe pointed at your house?

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:25 am

TallyMan wrote:
We also tend to know when someone is a sock puppet.

8O

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 5:41 am

mjs82 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

8O

:lol:

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 8:46 pm

menintights wrote:
takemitsu wrote:
I was just wondering because it occurred to me that a lot of sites might employ techniques to garner more dialog, eradicate a certain point of view, strategically placed replies to encourage new users. I'm guess a lot of forum sites might do that right after they start up. Another example would be like when a radio host has certain people call in to back up what they are saying or to represent the opposite view point and be torn down and be stereotyped as a typical person of that belief system. Or when a band is playing live, there are people in front of the stage that look goofy and start dancing to get everyone else to.

BTW, I'm trying to think what the name of these techniques are called, anyone know?

Collectively speaking, they're called "fraud."

So it's illegal to hire a writer to create posts, questions and dialogue on forums under different member names (sock puppets) to make it look as if more than one member is doing all this writing?

This man, who I have been reading his comments on another forum and this forum almost every day, all day long for well over a year... he's a fraud.

At first, I had no idea it was the same man because he was using different member names/sock puppets, until I had been reading his comments for a while and then I knew it was him and I'm still discovering new sock puppets of his.

How funny Takemitsu came up with this because I was just writing to another member about this very thing a few days ago.

I need to talk to Alex about this because this man made me think he was working as a hired writer.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 9:00 pm

Taupey wrote:
menintights wrote:
takemitsu wrote:
I was just wondering because it occurred to me that a lot of sites might employ techniques to garner more dialog, eradicate a certain point of view, strategically placed replies to encourage new users. I'm guess a lot of forum sites might do that right after they start up. Another example would be like when a radio host has certain people call in to back up what they are saying or to represent the opposite view point and be torn down and be stereotyped as a typical person of that belief system. Or when a band is playing live, there are people in front of the stage that look goofy and start dancing to get everyone else to.

BTW, I'm trying to think what the name of these techniques are called, anyone know?

So it's illegal to hire a writer to create posts, questions and dialogue on forums under different member names (sock puppets) to make it look as if more than one member is doing all this writing?

This man, who I have been reading his comments on another forum and this forum almost every day, all day long for well over a year... he's a fraud.

At first, I had no idea it was the same man because he was using different member names/sock puppets, until I had been reading his comments for a while and then I knew it was him and I'm still discovering new sock puppets of his.

How funny Takemitsu came up with this because I was just writing to another member about this very thing a few days ago.

I need to talk to Alex about this because this man made me think he was working as a hired writer.

Sounds like dedicated sleuthing. I've had some susupicions of users but nothing conclusive.Unrelated to this particular one however.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 3:14 am

mjs82 wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

8O

:lol:

The year is still young.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 3:27 am

Im new and will only ever have one account. I may be naive but I don't get how someone could be banned, for what reason? There are rules the same for all forums/message boards, long as I read and understand them, I won't break them.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 6:24 am

Asmodeus wrote:
Taupey wrote:
menintights wrote:
takemitsu wrote:

Sounds like dedicated sleuthing. I've had some susupicions of users but nothing conclusive.Unrelated to this particular one however.

I'm just an Aspergian. Asmodeus, I'm curious, is your avatar a good Vu Vu or a bad Vu Vu?

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 12:32 pm

squonk wrote:
Im new and will only ever have one account. I may be naive but I don't get how someone could be banned, for what reason? There are rules the same for all forums/message boards, long as I read and understand them, I won't break them.

Some people have their own way of communication or have their own sense of humor people mistake them as personal attacks or insults so they end up reporting that person to the mods. Then before they know it, that member either leaves or gets banned because of "personal attacks" and they are tired of the BS they are getting from the mods about "personal attacks." And there are some members who are just too sensitive and can't take criticism or different opinions so they end up reporting that user saying they are bullying them.

Sometimes people will go on a witch hunt on by reporting a member for no reason just to get them banned. You can manipulate the mods. I have no idea how that works but I heard about it. I know one way is saying someone is harassing you in PM and sending you all these PMs just so they would ban that user. But I think that is a dumb move because the mods have to be gullible to ban that user without checking the PM logs or asking for the copy of the PMs.

Sometimes mods abuse their powers so they change your login information and your email so you can't log back in your account and the other mods won't know you're banned because you won't show up on the banned list. I once pissed a mod off here for telling her I didn't know this one user was banned and she sent me a nasty PM after that with the words "Final Warning" in the title and after that I was silent banned. But I was ranting about that issue on another forum and right after I did that, that's when I couldn't log back in my account. But that mod was fired.

Trust me, there are mods out there who are dicks and will ban you because they don't like you and say they are "tired of your BS" or get nasty with you and sending you a warning just because you don't agree with their decision. So far I am satisfied with Tallyman's work because he is quick to lock threads when attacks break out and I have disagreed with one of his moves and he didn't flip out on me. Some mods may take that as me telling them how to do their job when all I did was state my opinion.

And there are people out there who unintentionally cause trouble on forums because they keep starting dramas in threads or keep getting into them and it's not their attention and the mods can get pissed at that and just ban the user for it. I have seen it happen on another forum. Also I had a friend who would post and people found him a pain in the butt because they said he was spamming when all he was doing was replying to posts but the issue was he didn't use the edit button, he reply to posts and then submit and reply to another post and there be all these posts by him in a row. He got banned finally. But some forums do have a rule against making replies in a row. Luckily there is no rule here about it but another place I sometimes go to has a rule about it. But I think that other forum where my old friend got banned from had a rule about it. Even though it wasn't listen in the rules, they still didn't like it. I think it was one of those hidden rules they had.

Forums have hidden rules so as an aspie you might keep falling into loop holes and the mods might think you are trying to bend the rules and doing it on purpose. I have fallen into loops before here because a few times I would do something and not realize it fell under "attacks on other forums" because I wasn't attacking another forum, I only posted a link to a thread there. But I take it as this, when they show me what rule I violated with what action I did, I learn to not do that again. But that doesn't mean I won't break other rules on accident just because I fell into another loophole.

And then there are trolls that play dumb with the mods so they keep pretending they don't understand something so the take up the mods time by having them explain things to them about rules on the forum and that just makes it harder for people like me because if I am asking lot of questions about something, they can just think I am messing with them and ban me for it thinking I am a troll. But then I am stuck not understanding something so I don't bother with taking up their time by asking too many questions due to fear of this.

And sometimes people do get mistaken for trolls when they are not so they end up getting banned because their social skills were so poor and their communication.

So you can still get banned even if you do follow the rules. Plus rules can be interpreted different by each user. Like a person might say something and the mods can see it as a personal attack even though that user doesn't. Or a user might talk about another forum and talking about their issue they have on it but might not see it as them doing an attack on another forum so therefore they end up breaking that rule.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 12:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Some people have their own way of communication or have their own sense of humor people mistake them as personal attacks or insults so they end up reporting that person to the mods. Then before they know it, that member either leaves or gets banned because of "personal attacks" and they are tired of the BS they are getting from the mods about "personal attacks." And there are some members who are just too sensitive and can't take criticism or different opinions so they end up reporting that user saying they are bullying them.

Sometimes people will go on a witch hunt on by reporting a member for no reason just to get them banned. You can manipulate the mods. I have no idea how that works but I heard about it. I know one way is saying someone is harassing you in PM and sending you all these PMs just so they would ban that user. But I think that is a dumb move because the mods have to be gullible to ban that user without checking the PM logs or asking for the copy of the PMs.

And there are people out there who unintentionally cause trouble on forums because they keep starting dramas in threads or keep getting into them and it's not their attention and the mods can get pissed at that and just ban the user for it. I have seen it happen on another forum. Also I had a friend who would post and people found him a pain in the butt because they said he was spamming when all he was doing was replying to posts but the issue was he didn't use the edit button, he reply to posts and then submit and reply to another post and there be all these posts by him in a row. He got banned finally. But some forums do have a rule against making replies in a row. Luckily there is no rule here about it but another place I sometimes go to has a rule about it. But I think that other forum where my old friend got banned from had a rule about it. Even though it wasn't listen in the rules, they still didn't like it. I think it was one of those hidden rules they had.

Or a user might talk about another forum and talking about their issue they have on it but might not see it as them doing an attack on another forum so therefore they end up breaking that rule.

You wouldn't be talking about me would you?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 1:12 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Or a user might talk about another forum and talking about their issue they have on it but might not see it as them doing an attack on another forum so therefore they end up breaking that rule.

You wouldn't be talking about me would you?

No. I was talking about people in general. Not just this place.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:02 pm

takemitsu wrote:

In professional wrestling, these people are known as "plants" (because, I think, they are planted in the crowd by the wrestling company). I don't know whether that term is used elsewhere though.

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:30 pm

McTell wrote:
takemitsu wrote:

In professional wrestling, these people are known as "plants" (because, I think, they are planted in the crowd by the wrestling company). I don't know whether that term is used elsewhere though.

That's another good example.