Having an autistic child has made me a better person!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 4:09 pm

So often I post about the struggles my daughter is having but today I had an epiphany!

My daughter makes me a better person.

She has shown me that it doesn't matter what other people think about you. I am 40 years old and may have never learned this without my daughter to show me this important lesson of life.

For all of the parents struggling with children who are having trouble communicating I want to tell you that there will come a day when your child will be able to show you how they think and how they feel. It will broaden and change your concepts of life and living in unimaginable ways!

Life is a struggle for us in so many ways. We mourn for their lost childhood, their lack of friends, the way so many can't "get" them. But for every struggle there is a reward of a lesson that we wouldn't have received had they not been born with autism.

So many of the things that were 'problems" to be fixed I can now embrace and appreciate. Because of that my daughter is less anxious and so am I. I thank so many on these boards for helping me understand this. My daughter is an amazing person!

:D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 4:18 pm

Thank you for posting this. It really made my day, that much brighter. :)

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Sep 2010, 4:33 pm

Excellent!

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 4:44 pm

:cheers:

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2010, 8:23 pm

That is so great mama_to_grace. Your post makes me want to cry. I recently had the same epiphany. The past few years in particular have forever changed me and my understanding and perspective on so many things, including my child.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2010, 8:39 pm

Love this post and totally relate! :)

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 4:11 am

Ah..couldn't agree more! It's been about six months since my boy was diagnosed, but I don't mourn anymore because whats to mourn? :D

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 3:13 pm

That is terrific Mama to Grace!

2 things that autism has taught me:

1) How to love unconditionally

2) Take 1 day at a time, and stop worrying about the future so much!

Blessings to all!

RykerSJ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2010, 4:07 pm

Amen! I have grown to have a purpose through dealing with my son and his illness. Takes away the me factor.

Gummie
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2010, 8:36 pm

:thumright: Great thread Mama_to_grace. Reading this forum and chatting with people on the spectrum has been helpful for me too.

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2010, 3:36 am

My son was diagnosed 3 months ago. Doctors avoided to pronounce the word "autism" to avoid I had an heart attack in front of them.
I had to understand what the diagnosis meant by myself. When I understood, I was scared because I thought that there was nothing to do. Doctors didn't tell me that my son can have a life that's worth to be lived. They treat me like it was better he was died.
I was not informed about available therapies.
I thought that his future was to be placed in a mental hospital because I didn't meet an adult person with autism in my life. I wondered where autistic people are, why autistic people don't speak.
I understood that parents don't reveal to their children their real condition so many autistic people don't know to be autistic.
I couldn't find any autistic community in Italy and I wanted to know how my son feels and thinks.
WP helped me because here I can meet autistic people and I was surprised of their cleverness. I found that they are different people and I fount that difference fascinating.
I discovered that they have sense of humour, they can love other people, they have feelings, they don't want to be trated as they were sick.
I also discovered I have some aspie traits in socializing and interests.