Velociraptor

09 Jan 2006, 11:12 am

I dunno. I'll go ask.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 12:12 pm

*goes over asking mind*

Hey mind would you mind telling me how exactly you work?

He says very visual with a date like tendency. :wink:

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 12:23 pm

When I'm alone, my mind is relaxed and very focused

When I'm in a social setting, my mind is running all over the place; desperately trying to keep up with a conversation. I think its because socializing doesn't come so naturally for me. I always have to think what to say in advance and then say it without thinking about it

pad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 12:30 pm

CRACK wrote:
When I'm alone, my mind is relaxed and very focused

When I'm in a social setting, my mind is running all over the place; desperately trying to keep up with a conversation. I think its because socializing doesn't come so naturally for me. I always have to think what to say in advance and then say it without thinking about it

yes, I get very tense and paranoid around social settings too... :(

I can never think of the right things to say. I either stay mute or say something inapprioate. you know?

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 6:21 pm

Here's another example of no one quoting my utter greatness. I am amazed at you people.

Glasskitten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2006, 12:34 am

I would say that I can relate to most of what neongirl says about her own mind.

To use my own words, I would say that my mind is what you get when you combine a CAD drawing/rendering program; a DVD player with an enormous library of things seen, read-->imagined, and purely imagined; a radio that changes stations randomly but always seems to play the most annoying song I have heard within the past decade; and a funny little box in the corner that produces words as easily as water from a faucet, but seldom allows accurate translation of those sentences to audio formats for conversational use. Some functions of synesthesia cause the DVD player to perform in odd ways--for example, when I think about a given topic, I can see everything I think about--overlapping a background from a place I have been to. It is as if I am floating around the place with a gravity-immune camera, and related topics may be represented as different areas of the same hallway or building and such. The places are almost never related to what the topic actually is, but the topic/background relationship is fairly consistent. For some reason, it is not distracting when I look at real-world objects while contemplating a perseveration. When words are present in my thoughts, I usually "hear" them, and they are most commonly the words to a letter or song I am in composing in my head but will never get around to writing down.

I more accurately than my family members because I always have a video flythrough recording of the buildings I have entered to guide me, and I can generally "see through" that which I have observed the other side of.
I am not so very good at mental arithmetic because I can only see a small part of my internal numberline at once. I am supposing that it is uncommon to use a mental numberline that resembles the one taped to my desk in first grade...?
Whenever I hear or recall music, I can see a music video (quite unlike any real music video of the songs) that includes abstract visualizations like you would find in an MP3 player program, as well as featureless singing faces...I wonder how often that occurs in human beings.
My attention span for things I find uninteresting is rather short in comparison to a lot of people I know because I always have the alternative of watching a movie (that I may have seen years ago) on my inner DVD player, and sometimes I do it without realizing that I am drifting out of the present reality. On the other hand, I have lived in the same barely-recorded fictional world for years, and my attention span for that seems indefinite. I only wish I could see my primary fantasy world as clearly when I am looking at the interface of a real word processor. The other downside to my easy access to fantasy worlds is that slightly smaller additional ones can be created far more easily than a single one can be recorded, so I could just spend my entire life creating them and dwelling within them without moving or speaking a word--but then I would probably starve and/or drop out of college.
A further disadvantage to my brain's functioning is that while I cannot keep track of what happened two days before, I remember in detail everything that has upset me since early childhood, and the triggers are many. A single phrase I misused on an essay...I clearly remember the context every time I see the phrase written. A random thought about where I was in life at a certain age....I am suddenly confronted by screens of immature arguments I had with innocent net-dwellers. Nowhere to repress to, nothing to sever the associations in associative thinking...
*ramble...*
*ramble...*
*hopes not to be seen as selfish for taking up everybody's time*
*wonders why she did take up so much time with a lengthy post*

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 3:53 pm

Minds are supposed to work? 8O All mine seems to do is wander around whistling tunes and gazing into space...

Actually I have very little idea. Perhaps more auditory than visual, but it can shift a little depending on what I've been focusing on ... gets stuck into grooves too easily, too.