Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2006, 8:54 pm

Aeturnus wrote:
anandamide wrote:
The Journal of Cognitive Liberties published an interesting article on autism as a world view. There's alot more to this subject than whether we are positive or negative in our outlooks. Autism represents a neurologically diverse state that has the potential to subvert the dominant culture in all sorts of (I think) fascinating ways.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/2jcl/2JCL43.htm

That is really good. Something worth looking into. It even mentions dadaism and surrealism ...

- Ray M -

It's also written in High Academic Regalian, a dialect I have less and less use for as the years go by.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2006, 9:45 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
newchum wrote:
It is true that Aspies either have a naive, innocent view of the world or a very dark, gritty, negative, fatalistic view of the world. These days I am in the latter because of my life experiences, I am deeply attracted to the ideas of the Goth subculture and it's art.

In my opinion, nt's are ret*ds.

You don't seem so bright yourself. Logically, NT's are far superior to us. And yet, you make the illogical statement that they're ret*ds. This is probably ascribable to the autistic tendency to believe they are the best, no matter how illogical that belief may be, which often results in bitterness when that belief system comes crashing down.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 1:28 pm

SolaCatella wrote:
I'm not sure how I see the world yet.

Well, usually it's with the eyes...

(sorry, couldn't resist).

As far as seeing the world goes, there are only two basic approaches.

1) Don't sweat it. It's weird, but you can get by doing, thinking and saying pretty much what some people near you do/say.

2) Try to understand the whole thing. From history via philosophy to subatomic physics and cosmology. One of the little bits up for understanding would then be your own mind and how it works. That alone can send people into loops of complexity that are potentially damaging. I strongly suggest you only attempt this route if you really have to.

It's too late for me, but you can still save yourself.
(Cogito ergo sunk)

Quote:
The world is unbelievably complex and I'm not even close to understanding all of it.

Have you achieved the understanding that understanding all of it is not an option?

Douglas Adams noted that faced with the immensity of the universe, most beings would prefer to move into "something smaller of their own devising" and in in fact do.

A tolerable illusion, a rough and ready approximation, an ignoring of vast swathes of the universe, or permutations of these. Other writers have arrived at similar propositions, but not. admittedly, the majority, who seen to believe the universe is manageable and meaningful.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 12:03 pm

TheGreyBadger wrote:
Aeturnus wrote:
anandamide wrote:
The Journal of Cognitive Liberties published an interesting article on autism as a world view. There's alot more to this subject than whether we are positive or negative in our outlooks. Autism represents a neurologically diverse state that has the potential to subvert the dominant culture in all sorts of (I think) fascinating ways.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/2jcl/2JCL43.htm

That is really good. Something worth looking into. It even mentions dadaism and surrealism ...

- Ray M -

It's also written in High Academic Regalian, a dialect I have less and less use for as the years go by.

I agree the language in this paper is difficult. I have no idea why critical theorists have to write in such a dense style. It doesn't make sense to me. But the author is talking about our worldview as it presents itself in our actions. At one point he refers to Socrates picking his nose while Plato speaks. It's a reference to stimming. I think the author is saying that stims function to embody or make less abstract human relations because it makes people pay attention to real live bodies. Alot of things are too abstract, that is, too distanced from live human relations, from theory to markets, and stimming functions as a way to make society pay attention to the body.

I think the aspie tendency to be blunt or honest is very subversive. I think that once our "truths" are spoken we often change the way situations are forever so that they can become more responsive to our human condition.

I also think that as aspies we are persecuted for our worldview, and there are many forces in society, media and other institutions, that work to dissuade us from being our authentic selves and speaking our truths that go against the interests of the dominant society.

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2006, 12:18 am

I am fairly naive myself. Often times "warring factions" at work will bounce me back and forth, believing both sides of the story, for the longest time. My viewpoint on the matter will change to be inline with the person talking to me at the time, if that makes any sense.

It is only very recently that I have begun to learn to be more sceptible and cynically when dealing with people, and to learn the traits of a liar, and how to know when someone is one. I still haven't managed this, and am tricked quite often, but I'm getting better.

I think you just need to be burned a few (or a lot of) times before you begin to see the world as less black and white. And you need time to learn the body language of people and how to tell if they are pulling your leg.

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2006, 12:23 am

To clarify my last comment, I meant gullible, not naive, in my first sentence (I should really learn to proofread better).

gortex6
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2006, 12:35 am

Lonermutant wrote:
nt's are ret*ds.

LMAO! Classic! Can I make that into a T-shirt?

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 12:38 am

gortex6 wrote:
Lonermutant wrote:
nt's are ret*ds.

LMAO! Classic! Can I make that into a T-shirt?

As mentioned somewhere else, I'm already planning one with "I HATE NORMAL PEOPLE!"

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 6:13 am

danlo wrote:
Logically, NT's are far superior to us.

Huh??? How do you come to that conclusion?

caston
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2006, 10:45 am

NTs definately aren't superior to us. They outnumber us only because they outbreed us, however, if it were not for technological advancements on the part of Aspies then the world would have a much lower population and would not be able to feed, clothe and house the billions of people alive today.

The Aspie invents the telephone but the NT uses it to chase up some booty.

Our weaknesses are our strengths. We want to live in a society where people with disabilities don't get left to the wolves thus we develop technologies that take society to a higher level of civilisation. If someone says "back in the cave man days autistic people would be left to die because they would hold back the tribe" they fail to see that we are beyond cave man days because the autistic people wanted to survive.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2006, 6:11 pm

caston wrote:
NTs definately aren't superior to us. They outnumber us only because they outbreed us, however, if it were not for technological advancements on the part of Aspies then the world would have a much lower population and would not be able to feed, clothe and house the billions of people alive today.

The Aspie invents the telephone but the NT uses it to chase up some booty.

Our weaknesses are our strengths. We want to live in a society where people with disabilities don't get left to the wolves thus we develop technologies that take society to a higher level of civilisation. If someone says "back in the cave man days autistic people would be left to die because they would hold back the tribe" they fail to see that we are beyond cave man days because the autistic people wanted to survive.

Well, we don't have any proof that all inventions are the creations of Aspies, given that NTs outnumber us it would seem logical that many of them invented some great things. Heck, Alexander Graham Bell, the man who is often considered to have invented the telephone, was also a member of the Eugenics movement and his beliefs would have probably led him to consider us a "defective variety of the human race".

I really think that you ascribe too much to the aspie people, we have made great contributions but considering all of the clever and intelligent NTs I know, I tend to doubt that we were the only creators of technology, danlo does have a point, we are at a disadvantage(I will not say inferior!) and we should respect NTs as individuals because as individuals they deserve respect and as a people because they have spawned many great thinkers just as we have. Really, the idea of honest neuroism(I don't know the official term or if there is one) is really something that is divisive between NTs and aspies and really, we need to find some form of common point for integration between aspies and NTs(yes I realize it might be more in their favor because they have more power but still). Instead, if we do any neuroism make it joking... like creating a homeland and using it as a homebase to conquer THE WORLD!! !! :twisted:

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

29 May 2006, 7:07 pm

Emettman wrote:
Quote:
The world is unbelievably complex and I'm not even close to understanding all of it.

Have you achieved the understanding that understanding all of it is not an option?

Oh, I know THAT much. I just want to get closer than I am at the moment. I can't even wrap my brain around all the complexity of the objects on my desk, let alone the whole wide universe. :wink: Alas, I've already fallen into the second way of thinking, which causes my family to roll their eyes and flee the room when I start pontificating on the complexity of a tree.

Coming into the topic of AS vs. NT:

I really don't think that Aspies/auties are any superior OR inferior to NTs, just different. I notice a lot of anti-NT hostility on these boards, and frankly, that bothers me. There's a lot of arrogance in the idea that every inventor of the Enlightenment must have been an Aspie, you know.

People with ASDs are at a disadvantage because there happens to be a hell of a lot fewer of us. It's like lefties and righties, really; lefties have a lot of trouble finding tools that aren't designed for righties, bump elbows at the table, and in the past were forced into writing and doing everything with their right hands in an effort to conform to society. Does that make lefties any better or worse than righties? No, but it makes their lives more difficult since the majority of the population is right-handed and so most things are made for right-handed people.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 1:16 am

SolaCatella wrote:
which causes my family to roll their eyes and flee the room when I start pontificating on the complexity of a tree.

I have been known to call it "getting lost in the levels"

Considering the subatomic interactions of a tyre with the road is not the right level of attention with which to drive to Cambridge.
And philosophically speaking how do I know that Cambridge exists, anyway?
And look at the variety inherent in labeling a city with a single word: how well does my "Cambridge" overlap with anyone else's?

That complex tree may be for some purposes be only so many board-feet, but knowing when the simplification is convenient AND safe doesn't seem to come as easily to me as to many others. Unless they never notice the complexity..?

jmoney
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2006, 12:47 am

Quote:
It is true that Aspies either have a naive, innocent view of the world or a very dark, gritty, negative, fatalistic view of the world.

I'd say both. Sometimes I feel innocent and like a kid, other times I feel very dark and I don't give a f**k.

naja
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2006, 4:47 am

drummer girl and Aeturnus, please read this...

Maybe not the topic of this thread, but do you know what irritates the f**k out of me, is those racists that swarm all over the place, and as a matter of fact, i would like more people off the middle east to come over here and sponge off the government and have a good one, because than that money can at least not be abused to go and bomb people and to pay cops, polititians, bailiffs and other bastards. Also racism is not allowed on this forum, so maybe you should consider posting somewhere else. Thanks :evil:

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2006, 12:52 pm

Lonermutant wrote:

In my opinion, nt's are ret*ds.

you noticed that also 8)