Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2010, 9:16 am

I also just wanted to highlight that the idea is to help someone like me to ask a serious question, in physical movement, that I would otherwise be unable to ask in words.

There are those, as well, who have no difficulty in simply asking, "Hi, are you an aspie?"

For me, this proposition is so daunting as to be near impossible. The idea of the salute/signal is to facilitate communication, not to be secretive nor to exclude.

If it were simple for me to just ask, I would. The problem is that it is not. Perhaps you could accuse me of being on the paranoid side, but I know that I am not alone in this.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2010, 8:02 pm

OddFiction wrote:
Rub your hand up and down your opposite forearm twice, and then switch hands/arms and do it on the other side, then interlace your fingers. :P

Yeah, that works, but I don't really see body language, which is a problem with a signal, and if I noticed I might think they were a bit chilly. 8)

MXH wrote:
How about your thumb between the index and middle finger in a way to make an A?

I don't see how to do this. I'd need a picture. Maybe I've got short fingers. :)

Cate wrote:
There are those, as well, who have no difficulty in simply asking, "Hi, are you an aspie?"

Asking that question is rarely going to be easy, even if the other person is aspie, they might not be able to answer.

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2010, 8:25 pm

Cate wrote:
I wish there were a signal that we could use to identify ourselves.

Say I meet someone and I suspect that he or she is an aspie. Since I choke up at the very thought of asking if my suspicions are true, I use a signal that represents aspergers.

If they are an aspie, they'll catch on, and if they're not, then they'll just continue thinking that I am weird.

This would also avoid the problem of asking an undiagnosed aspie if they are an aspie and opening up that can of worms.

I'm thinking a sort of Vulcan salute here. That's what my mother does to me when she wants to point out my aspiness. But maybe something our very own.

Thoughts?

Im gonna guess this is lighthearted

But in the scenario that you're being serious I'd say you have a massive problem as you'd almost certainly exclude the groups:

- People who have aspergers ie would be diagnosed if tested, but don't know it
- And those who may have some autistic traits (which from my experience seems like a high proportion of those who i know) but dont have enough to be diagnosed.

Also personally I dont really like this attitude of them and us (though one would have to clarify what exactly a neuro-typical actually is, which seems to differ from person to person anyway)

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 9:52 pm

ladyrain wrote:
MXH wrote:

I don't see how to do this. I'd need a picture. Maybe I've got short fingers. :)

Place your thumb between those 2 fingers aroun the halfway bend in them so it would be like /-\ with your index/middle fingers pointing down and your thumb pointing forwards between them.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 10:07 pm

Now, are we looking for a signal we can use just walking by someone on the streets? Or someone we are standing in discussion with? That we see on the bus? Are we looking for a sign we can send to parents, asking them if their kid is diagnosed? When we spot someone hanging back at the fringes?

Maybe we'd be better off with a "token" than a physical sign?
A little rubber WP alien on our keychains / necklace to pull out in query?

The scenario where we would be in a position to ask / toss a sign seems to be sometime where we're already (at least half) certain someone has an ASD...

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2010, 10:31 pm

MXH wrote:
ladyrain wrote:
MXH wrote:

Place your thumb between those 2 fingers aroun the halfway bend in them so it would be like /-\ with your index/middle fingers pointing down and your thumb pointing forwards between them.

ha-ha-ha - I can do the vulcan hands, no probs, but the 'A' just blows my fine motor control, it hurts and looks like a creepy spider doing something rude, and it's the same for both hands. Autistic awkwardness maybe, but it's not an 'A'. :oops: :lol:

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2010, 12:25 am

OddFiction wrote:
Now, are we looking for a signal we can use just walking by someone on the streets? Or someone we are standing in discussion with? That we see on the bus? Are we looking for a sign we can send to parents, asking them if their kid is diagnosed? When we spot someone hanging back at the fringes?

The scenario where we would be in a position to ask / toss a sign seems to be sometime where we're already (at least half) certain someone has an ASD...

I would think it's got to be someone that you've seen/know somewhat, not just a random stranger. I'm not sure that making secret gestures to parents about their children is a good idea!

Quote:

This is an idea I've been thinking about before - something subtle and discrete to display that would strike a chord with an aspie, but be uninteresting to most people - but I searched for little aliens on keychains and didn't find any, not even a WP one. So I thought about a diy version, based on the 'green person' idea which crops up in some images using 'people-pawns'. In fact, since little green plastic people-pawns for games are quite cheap, you could just give one to someone, and ask "Ever feel like you're an odd-one-out / on the wrong planet?", and see if they take it further.
I also like the rainbow infinity ∞ symbol for an image which would work well on a business card or similar item, although so would a green person/alien image.

Painted (apple?) green with a screwed-in attachment loop. For a keychain or a zip-pull on a bag. The actual shape/size could vary somewhat. And it could even have an expression if wanted. :| The Green Stranger Network - perhaps memes would do the rest.

http://www.craftparts.com/little-wooden ... c-467.html

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 1:11 am

I like that idea.

NOT A DOCTOR

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 4:20 am

ladyrain wrote:
This is an idea I've been thinking about before - something subtle and discrete to display that would strike a chord with an aspie, but be uninteresting to most people

I like that idea, and might wear a pin or badge that was subtle. I have only ever met one adult who I know was diagnosed with Asperger's, although I have met plenty of children with Asperger's or autism.

Cate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2010, 5:32 am

OddFiction wrote:

I like the token idea. Like a little green alien. Yes, it could be misinterpreted, but then just about everything that comes out of my mouth is misinterpreted. I like the WP keychain idea. Merchandising please?

It's a whole lot better than wearing a T-shirt that says, "Aspie identify yourself."

That was an attempt at a joke.

Cate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2010, 5:39 am

ladyrain wrote:
MXH wrote:
ladyrain wrote:
MXH wrote:

ha-ha-ha - I can do the vulcan hands, no probs, but the 'A' just blows my fine motor control, it hurts and looks like a creepy spider doing something rude, and it's the same for both hands. Autistic awkwardness maybe, but it's not an 'A'. :oops: :lol:

ROFL.
Yeah, can we get a picture or something on how this 'A' works. I'm just so curious now. It looks really rude when I do it.

I have an idea! Sign language anyone? "AS" in signs? Hey, it's established! And it's not affiliated with gangs! Another plus. But I'd feel sorry for confused person who actually signs and has no idea why I'm spelling "as."

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 6:22 am

Cate wrote:
I have an idea! Sign language anyone? "AS" in signs? Hey, it's established!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 6:24 am

Stellar wrote:
People might start to think they're gang signs :lol:

Are there any Aspie colors we can wear?

ruveyn

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 2:31 pm

That wouldn't work; others might wear those colors unknowingly. It should be something no one else would wear or notice. I really wish there were a frequency only Aspies could...

There IS!

NOT A DOCTOR

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 3:26 pm

A gestured signal wouldn't be fair to those of us who don't read body language. :?

Needs to be something we can all pick up on easily.

How about wearing a t-shirt that just says, "Leave me alone unless you know why I'm wearing this t-shirt!" 8)

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 4:56 pm

But without knowing in advance, and even knowing in advance, I might expect that such a T-shirt meant something else. It has to be identifiable as spectrum-related, or at least not something-else-related.

Maybe a picture of a CFL with the caption "do you feel the same way I do?"

NOT A DOCTOR