Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2006, 11:21 am

Hey, guys. First off, I'm sorry I haven't posted anything here in a while, I've just been busy, and I've been trying to cut down on the amount of time spent online.

Alright, now that's out of the way, now let's get down to business. I am now worried about my future again. I just read the previous thread about how software engineering/computer proigramming is becoming unsuitable for Aspies and all. But now here's my question. Aren't there ANY decent-paying jobs out there that are suitable for aspies, or am I going to get stuck with a low-paying job for the rest of my life?

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 1:17 pm

If you find any good jobs let me know - I seem to be stuck in the 'boring low paying job cycle' myself . . . though I'm going to start a little side internet business for myself to make some extra money for dental work and meds and to keep myself from going crazy doing my boring low paying job . . .
I have this persistent fantasy that my internet business will take off and I can just do that, but I know that won't really happen . ..

FlyGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 May 2006, 5:45 pm

Stereokid wrote:
Aren't there ANY decent-paying jobs out there that are suitable for aspies, or am I going to get stuck with a low-paying job for the rest of my life?

I've been thinking of buying this book about careers for Aspies: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931282560/002-6902900-7180813

animallover wrote:
I have this persistent fantasy that my internet business will take off and I can just do that, but I know that won't really happen . ..

Ditto :(

Space
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 6:48 pm

Stereokid wrote:
Hey, guys. First off, I'm sorry I haven't posted anything here in a while, I've just been busy, and I've been trying to cut down on the amount of time spent online.

Alright, now that's out of the way, now let's get down to business. I am now worried about my future again. I just read the previous thread about how software engineering/computer proigramming is becoming unsuitable for Aspies and all. But now here's my question. Aren't there ANY decent-paying jobs out there that are suitable for aspies, or am I going to get stuck with a low-paying job for the rest of my life?

yes there are decent paying jobs for people with AS. Just pick a job that you like and could tolerate for 40 hrs a week. By the way, why would a low paying job be more suitable for a person with AS? I've had some s**t jobs and they weren't easy for me at all.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 10:06 pm

My problem with moving up in jobs is that I don't do well with confrontation and other than making more money I don't care about advancing in a job - I just want to come in and do my job and leave . . . I don't care about status or power or any of that . . .

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2006, 11:11 pm

Stereokid wrote:
But now here's my question. Aren't there ANY decent-paying jobs out there that are suitable for aspies, or am I going to get stuck with a low-paying job for the rest of my life?

Sure. Investor :P

That is to say, real estate, stock markets, and the like. Or in a similar fashion, buy and sell things on EBay. A lot of different things that obey similar principles.

This sort of thing is pretty random and choatic, but it does obey patterns. What's more, direct interaction with other people is not neccesarily required.

A lot of people seem to only see 'jobs' in terms of performing a task for a wage. But there are more options out there then this. And not only that, with this obsession that everyone needs to have astounding communication skills and insipidly friendly and upbeat attitudes (the latter seeming to be confused for the former, and often more important) we're at a serious disadvantage.

But we don't need to play the game by their rules.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 12:08 am

Xuincherguixe wrote:
Stereokid wrote:
But now here's my question. Aren't there ANY decent-paying jobs out there that are suitable for aspies, or am I going to get stuck with a low-paying job for the rest of my life?

Sure. Investor :P

That is to say, real estate, stock markets, and the like. Or in a similar fashion, buy and sell things on EBay. A lot of different things that obey similar principles.

This sort of thing is pretty random and choatic, but it does obey patterns. What's more, direct interaction with other people is not neccesarily required.

A lot of people seem to only see 'jobs' in terms of performing a task for a wage. But there are more options out there then this. And not only that, with this obsession that everyone needs to have astounding communication skills and insipidly friendly and upbeat attitudes (the latter seeming to be confused for the former, and often more important) we're at a serious disadvantage.

But we don't need to play the game by their rules.

How do I pronounce your name? :lol:

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2006, 12:53 am

Space wrote:
How do I pronounce your name? :lol:

Ah, the number one question I get asked :P

I pronounce it as
zoin-sir-gwick-zee

Even though I'm not sure if that's how it should be pronounced. (Yep! Even I'm not sure)