Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bigcoop
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2010, 11:07 pm

Anyone else grow up walking on their toes? I did and I haven't grown fully out of it. I try stretching and when I really work on it I can walk almost normal, I've gotten really self concious about it. Anyone sharing a similar situation or know how to make it better?

08 Oct 2010, 11:12 pm

my aspiedar has picked up on two aspies in my city that do this.

blahbla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2010, 11:16 pm

I used to when I was little, drove my parents/teachers NUTS.

I guess I just sorta grew out of it without realizing

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 11:23 pm

I started toe-walking this past year or so. It makes me happy, but due to the angle at which my toes are bent, it hurts. It also leaves callouses on the soles of my feet since I have hard wood floors in my room, which is where I toe-walk the most.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 11:25 pm

I don't remember doing so when I was little, though I most likely did, considering my other "stimming" behaviors and the fact that I now tend do so when happy.

bigcoop
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2010, 11:39 pm

Yea it just stinks to be a 21 year old toe walker, I'm starting to get alot of back pain from it and I know it's really noticeable. Most people grow to except it, but when I'm asked about it, I dunno what to say. :-( i went to the orthopedist and he said "I think it's really cool, but you don't seem to think so." lol and then recommended me to a neurologist. havent had the neurology appt yet. i really dont want surgery, i could probably stand braces, with it being fall and all. :-/

River
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Oct 2010, 11:51 pm

I often do it when I'm barefooted (or wearing socks or certain types of slippers)

wonder if that means anything

When I where shoes I don't really do it, though I tend to have a leaning-forward posture

Last edited by River on 08 Oct 2010, 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andronicus
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2010, 11:51 pm

Have been toe-walking all my life and it doesn't look to be going away anytime soon. Only do it barefoot or in socks, indoors or outdoors just the same. Has been commented on by girlfriends in the past - they're the only ones who've seen me do it, since I don't hang out with anyone else often enough for such things to be noticed. Mostly I'm not aware that I'm doing it...mostly. But having read up on Autism and Aspergers for a few years now, I'm more conscious of it. Doesn't change anything - it feels perfectly normal to me; light and springy. I commented to the psychologist who diagnosed me recently that I thought it was because I wanted to make as little contact with the floor/ground as possible. Feeling any kind of grit or dirt under my sensitive feetses is extremely irritating, and I prefer to go barefoot when I'm at home. Plus it cuts down on noise (can't stand thumping!).

The only way I know to make it better is to be eating chocolate at the same time.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 12:09 am

Andronicus wrote:
The only way I know to make it better is to be eating chocolate at the same time.

Chocolate makes EVERYthing better! I know, my comment has nothing to do with the topic, but it needed to be said! 8)

LK
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2010, 12:22 am

I would often walk on the tips of my toes when I was a small child when I was stimming and/or acting silly, and I normally walked toe to heel. I trained myself to walk heel to toe after my parents and teachers told me it was bad for me. Interestingly, after I went through an illness that left me unable to walk for a while I had to re-learn to walk, and I naturally wanted to walk toe to heel again. Sometimes, I still walk that way because it feels better to me.

While Mr. Kim... has fallen prey to the inexplicable need for human contact, let me step in and assure you that my research will go on uninterrupted, and that social relationships will continue to baffle and repulse me.
- Dr. Sheldon Cooper (TBBT)

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 12:45 am

I used to think I walked heel-toe until I realized that I may put down my whole foot at some point but I really am keeping on my toes. I have to force heel-toe now because of the custom orthotics I finally needed... they don't help as much unless I walk on them correctly. It doesn't feel very natural, though.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 1:04 am

River wrote:
I often do it when I'm barefooted (or wearing socks or certain types of slippers)

When I where shoes I don't really do it, though I tend to have a leaning-forward posture

Toe walking is often a mild developmental problem that affects motor skills rather than intelligence.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 1:29 am

Yes I did.

I also had/have a mild scoliosis that makes the way I walk look odd to this day. I feel like one leg is shorter than the other (which is how I perceive the spinal curvature) so I always look like I'm limping. Trying to NOT "limp" hurts my back.

The only way for me to look "normal" is to wear boots--that seems to conceal it.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 4:03 am

I have always and still do it. The floor feels too "harsh" (is the best word I can come up with) when I am in bare feet. Only occasionally with I find myself walking flat-footed without shooes on.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 4:11 am

I've never toe-walked. But both I and my father drag our feet and also walk like ducks, with our feet pointed outwards. My dad has very many AS traits.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 4:22 am

River wrote:

Yes, I do it often when barefoot, less often while wearing shoes. At home I usually go barefoot. When I can get away with it I go barefoot outside. Also there's something about lino and other hard flat floors that makes me tiptoe. :)

The year is still young.