Page 5 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 8:59 am

bloodshot wrote:
As a non-American who frequent American forums, I am tired of hearing Americans complaining about having to be American.

Your nation has been the no.1 contributor to human advances, technology, business and arts wise. Overall America's influence on the developed world is a positive one. Would you prefer if the Soviets had won the Cold War instead?

as a non-american, maybe you should try living in a country with no affordable healthcare! any person with half a noodle can see america's good points, so get a clue and realize that americans have a right to complain among themselves about the abundant bad points as well. if you don't like americans complaining about their problems, then that is unfortunate, but this is our affair.

Last edited by auntblabby on 30 Oct 2010, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:03 am

ruveyn wrote:
Shouldn't the question be: why do -some- Americans hate America? I am an American (UnitedStatesean) and I don't hate America. I find most of the people I meet here he live here and are American to be sufficiently decent folk.

i don't hate america as a nation, i just hate the rightist bullies being given full rein running roughshod over the rest of us, and am exercising my right as an american citizen to complain about it. i have just as much a vote in what goes on in this great nation as you do, whether you like it or not. "sufficiently decent folk" come in all persuasions, 'cept for bullies.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:19 am

bloodshot wrote:
As a non-American who frequent American forums, I am tired of hearing Americans complaining about having to be American.

Your nation has been the no.1 contributor to human advances, technology, business and arts wise. Overall America's influence on the developed world is a positive one. Would you prefer if the Soviets had won the Cold War instead?

HAS. China is quickly catching up to us in economic power and if things don't seriously turn around soon, they'll start being the dominant force in the world.

I don't disparage America's positive works in the world in history, but to be fair, there's been little of that so far in the 21st century. Our biggest exports so far to the rest of the world has been war and little to show for it. Osama Bin Laden eluded us Afganistan, and we made ourselves look like fools in Iraq and we're leaving both in unstable situations.
You'd think maybe we could have used our military might in more constructive ways like ending the Dafur massacres, killing off the Somali Pirate gangs or preventing North Korea from obtaining nuclear weapons... but no, we'd rather go on wild goose chases across the middle east and exhaust ourselves while our enemies just continue strengthening themselves.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 12:31 pm

Zara wrote:
bloodshot wrote:

HAS. China is quickly catching up to us in economic power and if things don't seriously turn around soon, they'll start being the dominant force in the world.

They are welcome to the job. Being the World's Surviving Superpower has caused the U.S. to pursue a course of perpetual war. Getting out of that role may give us a chance to get back to our True Calling: The Business of America is Business.

ruveyn

bloodshot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2010, 5:02 am

I laud those people who can point out the flaws of their own nation, and suggest practical reforms on a rational manner.

What I can't stand is these Americans I encounter online and in real life, literally moaning about how America is really the worst nation on the planet, and then go out of their way to appease foreign elements that are undermining their own and other Western societies. It's sickening.

bloodshot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2010, 5:18 am

Zara wrote:
bloodshot wrote:

I don't disparage America's positive works in the world in history, but to be fair, there's been little of that so far in the 21st century. Our biggest exports so far to the rest of the world has been war and little to show for it. Osama Bin Laden eluded us Afganistan, and we made ourselves look like fools in Iraq and we're leaving both in unstable situations.
You'd think maybe we could have used our military might in more constructive ways like ending the Dafur massacres, killing off the Somali Pirate gangs or preventing North Korea from obtaining nuclear weapons... but no, we'd rather go on wild goose chases across the middle east and exhaust ourselves while our enemies just continue strengthening themselves.

The world will quickly miss the days of Pax Americana, should China ever replace America's spot on the sphere of influence. China is a nation with no concept of human rights, democracy and freedom of speech, and no hopes of reforms. While it's economy is booming, it has contributed nothing to the scientific advancement of mankind. Every modern technology in China are either cheap knock offs, or obtained through coercion. The Chinese laws force all foreign business to "share" their technical know-hows since not only their level of innovation is lacking, they don't have the slightest respect for intellectual property.

I agree on your critique on America's intervention policies. Your nation have produced a great deal of great minds, but also quite a few terrible politicians, sadly.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 5:43 am

ruveyn wrote:
Zara wrote:
bloodshot wrote:

They are welcome to the job. Being the World's Surviving Superpower has caused the U.S. to pursue a course of perpetual war. Getting out of that role may give us a chance to get back to our True Calling: The Business of America is Business.

ruveyn

Unfortunately, a huge chunk of US business is now performed in China leaving many Americans without jobs.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 7:09 am

Sand wrote:
Unfortunately, a huge chunk of US business is now performed in China leaving many Americans without jobs.

We can get it back by inventing more and working cheaper and (this is important) better.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 7:12 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

We can get it back by inventing more and working cheaper and (this is important) better.

ruveyn

I'm not sure you can convince Americans to be satisfied to accept Chinese wage levels but perhaps you know more desperate Americans than I do.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 7:12 am

Sand wrote:

I'm not sure you can convince Americans to be satisfied to accept Chinese wage levels but perhaps you know more desperate Americans than I do.

Necessity necessitates. Wait until we have no choice.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 7:15 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Necessity necessitates. Wait until we have no choice.

ruveyn

When Americans can no longer afford the hamburgers that they flip we can then be assured we are back on the road to world dominance.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 7:38 pm

I doubt China's population will be in age to work and support their growth for very long y'know. They also had a baby boom, and just like the West, they are starting to die off. <.<

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 9:43 pm

In general, to get back to the original question, one of the most powerful generators of hatred amongst Americans for what their country does is the arrant hypocrisy involved. All this blather of freedom and the open opportunities to become wealthy contrasting with the oppressive police and CIA and FBI actions regarding freedom of speech and use of vicious prison systems and outright denials of fair trials and use of torture and loss of privacy and many other indications that the wealthy are really in control cannot help but bring out strong negative emotions.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Being the World's Surviving Superpower has caused the U.S. to pursue a course of perpetual war. Getting out of that role may give us a chance to get back to our True Calling: The Business of America is Business.

ruveyn

What a dismal Calling. But I think your conclusion is probably accurate. America is a commercial empire. It barely deserves to be called a nation.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 4:24 pm

codarac wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Being the World's Surviving Superpower has caused the U.S. to pursue a course of perpetual war. Getting out of that role may give us a chance to get back to our True Calling: The Business of America is Business.

ruveyn

What a dismal Calling. But I think your conclusion is probably accurate. America is a commercial empire. It barely deserves to be called a nation.

How so? Our territory is well defined. We have a single public language - English; and an identifiable set of laws. That makes the U.S. a nation.

Somalia and Haiti barely deserve to be called nations.

ruveyn

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2010, 1:24 am

FederationJunkie wrote:
Being one of what seems to be a dying breed of patriots these days, I find it nothing less than appalling when people say that "we shouldn't have the freedoms we have" or "this country is dying because we have too much freedom." My question is: what the hell happened??? Since when is freedom such a bad thing? Since when have the ideals of self-reliance, individualism, and limited government become invalid? Why does everybody assume that people can't take care of themselves, and the government needs to do that for them? And by far the worst part about all this is that nobody seems to care. In fact, the mere mention of politics or other such things seems to make people cover their ears and sing to themselves. Am I the only person left who realizes these problems? Fellow patriots, let your voice be heard!

I haven't heard anyone ever say "we need less freedom". Usually they argue we need more restrictions for safety or something like that. I think freedom is mostly illusory. Yah, there's more restrictive forms of government than others, but the notion of absolute freedom is pretty subjective. I find the subjectivity of the concept is used for a lot of propaganda purposes.