Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:23 am

Which can you identify a little with? (Long)

Do you find something like the following slightly helpful in trying to identify traits/symptoms?

Which of the following terms can you identify with? Circle the three [or whatever number you wish/find helpful - one, two, four, ten, all, etc.] most important terms:

Alertness

Ambition (normal ambition, normal drive)

Asperger

Attention

Attention Deficit(s)

Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity

Attention Span

Autism

Body Balance

Brain Glitch (subtle brain injury, side-effect sports/other concussion, etc.)

Breathing

Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)

Communication

Comprehension

Concentration

Conversation

Crossing the Midline of the Body

Curiosity

Decision Making

Definite Life Purpose

Desire (burning desire)

Distractible

Effective

Efficient

Empathy

Energy Level

Executive Function

Family

Focus

Gross and Fine Motor Control

Hearing

Hyperactivity

Inattention

Initiative

Joy

Kindness

Learning

List Making

Listening

Lovingkindness

Memory

Motivation

Neurology

Numbers

Pace Rate

Paying Attention

Peers

Performance Target Reached

Personal Initiative

Personality Trait

Pictures

Planning

Ponder

Processing Challenge (too fast, too slow, incomplete, imperfect, fractionated, etc.) vs Deficit

Productivity

Project Completion

Psychology

Quota Met

Senses (the Five Senses)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense

Sensory Overload

Sensory Processing

Sequencing

Shapes (puzzle pieces, etc.)

Skill (skills, talents)

Sociable

Speech

Sustained Attention

Teamwork

Thought

Time

Using the Imagination

Where to Guv? (Where are you from? Where are you going?)

Words

Other

Can you elaborate on one or two items from the above list which you feel are relevant in your life?

Experiences?

Would your list be shorter than the above? Same length? Longer than the above?

What items (words) would you add to the above list?

Last edited by pgd on 10 Oct 2010, 8:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:43 am

i could not limit myself to just 3 most important terms.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 7:53 am

auntblabby wrote:
i could not limit myself to just 3 most important terms.

---

(Wording changed to: Circle the three [or whatever number you wish/find helpful - one, two, four, ten, all, etc.] most important terms:)

Ideas

Most important (priorities)
Important
Less important (not priorities)

(General Concept - from PBS page)

Choosing priorities, or deciding what to spend less time on or cut out of your budget completely, is one of the most important steps in managing your time. Sometimes we have to choose priorities over the long term, and sometimes we have to do it day to day.

http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/school/time/article4.html

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 11:41 am

i've always had poor executive functioning. i never can make choices very well. i can choose something quickly or well, but not both. i am hopeless in a restaurant, as it takes me up to a half-hour of studying even the most basic menu to make a choice. so i stay at home and eat out of cans and boxes. beats starving to death.

anyways, the following terms resonate with me-

Alertness- the only time i am truly alert is when i am keyed-up over something. then i am hyper-alert. noise makes me take notice. other than that, i am pretty clueless most of the time.

Ambition (normal ambition, normal drive) - i have very little ambition. it was beaten out of me when i was young.

Asperger - yup, that's me. though i didn't find out about it per se until i was well into middle age, too late to make much of a difference in my life.

Attention - see alertness above

Attention Deficit(s) - inattentive type. i learned about this too late to be of any benefit.

Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity - am always rocking or tapping my limbs or massaging myself in an attempt at self-comforting. other than that, i don't fall into the hyperactive category, but am at the opposite end from it.

Attention Span - when the noise abates, so does my attention. i can't seem to follow a movie for longer than 5 minutes or so before my attention is diverted by something or it just drifts of its own accord. thank god for the back button.

Autism - it seems to run in my family tree.

Body Balance - clumsy, poor proprioception. i'm always banging various body parts against hard unyielding objects in my environment. i'm always stubbing my poor long-suffering toe or something.

Brain Glitch (subtle brain injury, side-effect sports/other concussion, etc.)- more than subtle, less than totally disabling. my judgment often deserts me mid-task.

Breathing - for various reasons i tend to be a mouth breather. i have limited aerobic capacity so only moderate exertion is enough to make me pant- this despite years of vigorous aerobic/anaerobic exercise.

Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) - never diagnosed formally but i always manage to hear things wrong.

Communication - i am often misunderstood and i often misconstrue things.

Comprehension - mostly absent.

Concentration - see Comprehension above

Conversation - i talk to-and-with myself better than i do with anybody else.

Crossing the Midline of the Body - i am tall and gangly, and there is a lot of bending required for me to do physically low-level tasks, which i hate to do as it is Sooooooo uncomfortable, at times painful. low-back problems take their toll on my activity in this regard.

Curiosity - like the cat. sometimes i wish i were a bit less curious.

Decision Making - poor at best. it takes me too long and i never have enough time or neuronal horsepower on hand to make the best choices.

Definite Life Purpose - just putting up with it for as long as possible, and incidentally learning something now and then. i honor the golden rule above all other rules.

Desire (burning desire) - it mostly burnt out as a younger man, from lack of stuff to feed the fires of desire and to keep them burning.

Distractible - very.

Effective - hardly.

Efficient - see Effective above.

Empathy - i do care deeply about other people but am lousy at expressing it.

Energy Level - moderate at best, but often only at generally normal levels when something or another lights a fire under me.

Executive Function - dismal. slow and defective, like expecting an 8086 CPU to do real-time video - not gonna happen.

Family - mostly dispersed. i will never have one of my own. i have no business being anybody's parent. a housecat would make a better father than me.

Focus - mostly fuzzy, poorly directed, intermittent. not able to maintain anything resembling a focused state for more than a few minutes at a time, with frequent rest periods in between focused states. it takes way too much energy to stay focused for long.

Gross and Fine Motor Control - mediocre at best. despite practicing for years, any kindergartener could still outperform me playing on the organ or keyboard. i type rapidly only because of decades of practice but i still make way too many mistakes and the most-used key is "backspace." the only sport i could play was badminton only because the shuttlecock would deliberately float through the air so slowly that i could play games with myself. me and staircases are not on good terms. i can't count the number of times i've fallen on my tuckas while descending the steps which are always too short and slippery for my clumsy big flat feet.

Hearing - fouled with tinnitus, for as long as i could remember. but strangely the tinnitus sometimes goes away during attention-grabbing events, then returns when things calm down. strange. otherwise very keen. when i was younger and with sharper hearing, i could hear the sound a fly made as it walked on a wall. i can still hear the sound of feathers rubbing together and air currents being excited as birds fly overhead.

Initiative - poor. external locus of control. free will is a myth to me. nearly all of my best-laid plans have gone awry, and nothing i can conceive-of seems to have any powers to change this.

Joy - i have been blessed with the odd joyful moment, though often in stendahl's syndrome's vividly breathless urgency. some pieces of music have left me weeping in agonizing rapture.

Learning - i enjoy learning new things.

List Making - i have to make lists in order to make sense out of my life.

Listening - i try to listen to everything around me, but i try not to listen to my own breathing or heart beat or other internal bodily functions, as these tend to worry me. i will listen to anybody who speaks to me unless they are abusive, at which point i stop listening and start running for the escape hatch.

Lovingkindness - i value this above all others.

Memory - like an elephant with a buggy and insufficient RAM module. i wish i could erase some memories and replace them with more happy ones. i don't really need to remember any of my army years but they stick with me still. oh well.

Motivation - nothing motivates like a pitchfork in the tuckas. i am forced to do the minimum for survival, but almost nothing motivates me for grander purpose.

Neurology - buggy. all too aware of aches and pains and general discomfort both within and without. my memory plays tricks with me. my senses play tricks with me. i need more treats and less tricks.

Numbers - i am inumerate. i might be innumerate as well, but i don't know for sure.

Peers - i have none. never have had any i would consider peers.

Planning - poor and rarely effective.

Ponder - i do this often, but dimly.

Processing Challenge (too fast, too slow, incomplete, imperfect, fractionated, etc.) vs Deficit-
:?: i think i need a better :idea: to answer this one correctly. but from what i can understand, i have a too-slow CPU and insufficient memory, and both are too buggy to be considered reliable. i definitely consider this a deficit in my personal effectiveness.

Productivity - see Processing Challenge above.

Project Completion - only if the goals are very modest. see Processing Challenge above.

Psychology - have been in therapy more years than not, to limited utility.

Senses (the Five Senses) - comic red skelton once said he preferred the sixth sense to the other five. i agree somewhat, with the stipulation that i get to keep ALL of 'em.

Sensory Overload - very low limit. stendahl's syndrome is my brain's way of telling me "TOO MUCH TOO SOON!" i swoon when exposed to more than a little beauty, be it physical or existential. hermithood is my way of avoiding overstimulation from exposure to "civilization."

Sensory Processing - buggy. am prone to migraines with scatoma, both visual and aural. both types are disabling, in that the visual migraines blind me and the aural ones deafen me.

Sequencing - very poor, which goes along with poor decision-making ability. i could not organize myself into any form of logical flow, to save my own life. no multitasking ability whatsoever.

Shapes (puzzle pieces, etc.) - on the WAIS, i barely completed this task. i have poor spatial reasoning ability, IOW i have a terrible time manipulating 3-dimentional objects in my head.

Skill (skills, talents) - limited to digital audio restoration tasks for which i am justifiably proud. other than that i am pretty talentless. i dearly wished i had musical talent, for i have a need for artistic expression which lacks any outlet.

Sociable - i tend to be "the thing that won't leave." left to my own devices i tend to be a big floppy sloppy overly affectionate puppy. i was needy and clingy when i was younger, but now that i have learned to comfort myself i tend to be emotionally self-sufficient and solitary.

Speech - stilted and monotonic, alternating with inappropriately singsong prosody. not ready for prime-time.

Sustained Attention- mostly absent.

Teamwork- nobody wants me on their team. in school PE class, when it came time for kids to choose sides, i always ended up in the office doing paperwork and being thankful for it.

Thought - i try to think only happy thoughts. mostly i succeed in this.

Time - never enough of this always-short commodity.

Using the Imagination - inadequate for most creative tasks. an artist i am not.

Nurylon
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2010, 12:08 am

For me, I'll make mine up.

Needy, PDD-NOS, borderline, bipolar, ADD, inattentive, bored, depressed, anxious, embarrassed, chagrin, sensitive, understimulated, wanting, remorse, condescended, atypical, normal, confused, frustrated, angry, vengeful, indignant, hateful, loving, extremist, fundamentalist, kind, one track mind, more too.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 12:13 am

Nurylon wrote:
For me, I'll make mine up.

Needy, PDD-NOS, borderline, bipolar, ADD, inattentive, bored, depressed, anxious, embarrassed, chagrin, sensitive, understimulated, wanting, remorse, condescended, atypical, normal, confused, frustrated, angry, vengeful, indignant, hateful, loving, extremist, fundamentalist, kind, one track mind, more too.

looks just like an AGPT result trait snapshot, so it'd probably be easier to just have people post those up
Example:

Link:
http://similarminds.com/global-adv.html

Nurylon
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2010, 12:18 am

Some of those questions are HARD to answer, even with a choice of five circles to click. Maybe I'll do the test when I'm not tired. I can't sleep tho... had a Red Bull.

tweetybird
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2010, 7:16 pm

Asperger- yep.

Conversation- conversations never go well for me unless they're with someone i really know or if they're not face to face.

Empathy- i have little of it. sympathy, yes. but the most empathy i have is with a tv character.

Hearing- i have very sensitive hearing. which is a good thing, sometimes.

Hyperactivity- i have mania. :P

Memory- really horrible memory, my first memory is from when i was 7, does anyone know if asperger's plays a role in that?

Motivation- way too much of it for a teenager. :P

Paying Attention- if i want to, then i can pay attention to anything. easily.

Peers- are mostly too stupid for me.

Productivity- like i said, i have a wonderful attention span, i can get schoolwork done quickly and easily.

Psychology- therapy.

Senses (the Five Senses)- senses. are sensitive.

Skill (skills, talents)- i've discovered a few.

Thought- i don't ever have intelligible thoughts to myself, they're just random bursts of words and pictures and sounds and sensations that i mush together to talk.