Page 2 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

RedheadedStep_Child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2010, 4:43 pm

I like Will o' the Wisps, creatures found in folklore from Newfoundland and Wales. They use their lights to lure unwary travelers deeper into the dark misty swamp until the poor traveler is lost forever.

Ooops, I'm still too new to post an image. You never actually get to see the fairies anyway, because according to legend, the lights keep getting farther away as you approach them.:twisted:

BigJohnnyCool
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2010, 8:55 pm

Dragons

tonin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2010, 10:01 pm

Kraken

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2010, 11:07 pm

Vampires, ghosts, dragons, bigfoot, gray aliens, chupacabra, and the Loch Ness Monster. I'm more into modern myths.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2010, 6:05 am

Kobolds from D&D. Easy to kill, good drops, etc.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 6:33 am

Mr. Potato Head

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:02 am

Ouroboros.
Maybe I just like all the o's in the word. Giant worm eating his own tail. Eternally. The Moebius strip of the mythical beings.

Cerebus.
Just think - he's got company all the time. Never alone. There's an issue there of such a situation being both good and bad.... the conflict of company being better vs alone being better always intruigued me.

DeadpanDan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2010, 11:28 am

Lucifer

Blake_be_cool
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 8:28 am

#1 - Dragons

Namtro
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2010, 11:24 am

No question about it. Dragons!

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 12:30 pm

Yeah sure, dragons are cool. The sheer size and power of them...

But my personal favourite are the Each Uisge. They are waterbound creatures mostly found in northern Britain. They hide in lakes and when a human comes too near to the water they just drag him in and eat him. They don't like the liver though and just spit that out. Usually the liver is the only thing ever found of a Each Uisge victim.
In some versions of the tail they can also change into a man-like shape to seduce women. It's more common though that they change into the shape of a wellbred horse that wanders around close to the water's edge. When a human comes near, the horse will be friendly towards him and even offer him a ride. But when somebody falls for that trick and mounts the horse he gets glued to the (magically) sticky back of the Each Uisge, which then runs to its home-lake to drown and devour the unfortunate rider.

If it doesn't have to be an monster, I'd say that Kitsune are pretty cool, too. They are very old and powerfull fox-spirits of the Japanese mythology, which can change into the shape of a beautifull woman. They are mostly harmless, though some of them love to play tricks on humans. Kitsune have even been known to marry humans and have children with them, but they will usually abandon their families once they are found out to be spirits rather than humans.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 1:26 pm

Honey monster.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 7:30 pm

The Loch Ness Monster. Of course. :P

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 2:38 pm

Mermaid definitely :) Andersen's story is amazing.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 4:06 pm

Cthulhu :twisted:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 4:12 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
I'm sure everyone has had a fascination with mythical beings rather they were read in a storybook or seen in a video game. There's all kinds of beautiful creatures that people once believed in a long time ago like dragons, unicorns, mermaids, fairies, etc. While very few people still believe in them, they still live on through books, art, games, and TV.

Anyways on this topic talk about your favorite mythical beings, and if possible post a picture of them and tell a little bit about them and why they are your favorite. :)

My favorite creature is the Succubus. They're beautiful female demons in European Mythology who have bat wings and sometimes tails, horns, claws, or all of the above. But they're mostly shown with bat wings. Succubi have a unique method of feeding on the life force of mortal men through sexual intercourse. They often appear in dreams and take any form they want to seduce a man, and after their "visit" they leave the man dead and give birth to new baby demons.

I think Succubi are very beautiful though very evil and dark, and the way that they can change form to trick mortals is kind of cool. They also wear such awesome outfits in the modern artworks for games like Castlevania and World of Warcraft.

Here's an arkwork of a Succubus from the game Castlevania. I love how she holds a thorny rose in her hand.

[img][800:900]http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n534/SesameChickenLover/CastlevaniaSuccubusArt1.jpg[/img]

I love you now! I'm a huge Succubus fan girl. One time I got so obsessed with them I got grounded from studying them. I'm getting a tattoo of one!

-Down, The Birthday Massacre