Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 12:44 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
Yet Lawyers, physicians, and economists reap the benefit of working in a protected labour market (i.e. the state gov't continually increases standards for doctors inconsistently to bar out foreigners who might want to take a shot at displacing current physicians in the job market. Physicians associations in Canada do similar things, which is why so many ultra-educated immigrants from India and Pakistan end up driving taxis in Canada. Physicians unions in the states have complained when foreign doctors have been permitted to work in the country.).

I (gasp!) actually agree with you on this one, all too often mandatory certification for certain fields is less about ensuring competence and more about protecting the market from cheaper competition. I've even seen nail salons lobby for stricter certifications for employment to keep Southeast Asian competition out of the market, it's a total abuse of the regulatory system to stifle competition and create high barriers to entry that hurt everyone.

Count me in on this mutual agreement (and I am a member of two of the professions that engage in it!)

Physicians are pushing back against encroachment in two ways: First, we are incredibly restrictive about what is acceptable as medical education to qualify for admission to practice in Canada. Medical graduates from countries other than Canada and the United States face significant barriers to admission; and there are virtually no opportunities for foreign trained physicians to upgrade their academic qualifications. Second, we are incredibly restrictive about what we define as "medical practice," and work very hard to shut nurse practitioners, midwives and other paraprofessions out of the market. I am a voice in the wilderness among my colleagues on these questions. (sigh)

Lawyers, ironically, are significantly more open, at least in this province. In all Common Law provinces (I think), a holder of a law degree from a foreign common law jurisdiction need only about a year of Canadian legal training to come up to the academic requirements in order to become eligible for articles. A lawyer of sufficient standing is free to obtain a practice license in any of the other jurisdictions with minimal impediment. The only real barrier to transfer is the existence of a Civil Law system in Québec which limits mobility for lawyers trained only in that system, or lawyers seeking to work in that system.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 1:08 pm

Eric_crooks wrote:
Subotai wrote:

1. Don't sell yourself short. You can probably do a hell of alot better than minimum wage with some education, or even without for that matter.
Yeah well Im really good with puppets and im an awesome satirist but my moron of a dad says that i cant really get a good job with that. and he says that its not realistic to want to be a pupeteer and satirist for a living. I cant really find those kind of jobs right now so I have to work at arbys or subway, at least for the time being, to get him off my back. i am working on getting an agent and trying to show my puppet films in film festivals.

Entertainment is a very difficult field to make any money in rather less a livable wage and you're talking about a niche corner of the market that limits your income potential even more. I'd say you should go to school for something else.

But I think a better initial question is: how much do you expect to be able to make? What do you think your gigs will consist of? How will you make money with it if you can't land those ideal gigs?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 2:48 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Physicians are pushing back against encroachment in two ways: First, we are incredibly restrictive about what is acceptable as medical education to qualify for admission to practice in Canada. Medical graduates from countries other than Canada and the United States face significant barriers to admission; and there are virtually no opportunities for foreign trained physicians to upgrade their academic qualifications. Second, we are incredibly restrictive about what we define as "medical practice," and work very hard to shut nurse practitioners, midwives and other paraprofessions out of the market. I am a voice in the wilderness among my colleagues on these questions. (sigh)

i agree that for many professions, it is too hard to get cerdentials recognized in canada. at a fast food place back in the day i worked alongside an entomologist from nepal. but for doctors a big problem is in passing their candian certification exams.

this may be due to their overseas education systems using a different focus or approach than canadian universities. and also, the schools might not be as high a quality. the article below points out that it is easier for a canadian to get accepted into many foreign medical schools than into canadian ones, so it stands to reason that graduates of those same foreign schools may not be able to pass our exams. these tests are designed to ensure that all foreign doctors be equally as competent as candian doctors.

looks like the government is going to try to help foreign doctors better prepare for the exam though, because some of these doctors are considered a potential asset to our medical system.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Foreig ... story.html

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 6:53 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
I think you really underestimate the paradox associated with AS and the job market. Entry-level jobs tend to prioritize skills people with Asperger's have a hard time with and "higher level jobs" require years of certification. So, unless you've won a pretty lucrative scholarship or have a parent financially able to support you throughout your years of University, it's tough being an Aspie in the labour market. There have been statistics from ASPIRE in the UK, perhaps not the greatest of studies, but they show that 80% of people diagnosed with Asperger syndrome surveyed for that particular study are unemployed.

I never said AS is not an issue or not an important one.

I just think that it can't be the 100% reason and I think that there should always be room for improvement. Hey, it will always be harder for AS than NTs, but that does not mean it is impossible.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 7:15 pm

Well, it has to be said, someone who would open their communication with "my stupid parents" is obviously someone with problems. Even if he doesn't always agree with his parents, that intro shows an appalling attitude.. I'd never hire anyone who was that overtly disrespectful to the persons who gave him life.

"My stupid parents"...

They gave you birth, they fed you, changed your nappies, got up in the middle of the night because you were screaming with colic.... and you call them stupid? Who else will ever love you like they did?

I would never employ an ingrate like you.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 7:50 pm

Eric_crooks wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

According to your profile you're into 'satire'. Was this an attempt at being humerous?
Nah i only do satire and dark irrevernent humour on my puppet show. Im serious on here though.

In which case, I suggest you set your 'aspierations' higher.

Also, I have far more respect for a non-white working in an entry-level job than for any white person who blames people of a different race as the root of their problems. Incidentally, what are your views on the hundreds of British actors who 'steal jobs' from 'decent hard workin' folks' in Hollywood?

Perhaps you should lobby to have Hugh Laurie sent back over the Atlantic because he was unfortunate not be born in the US?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:27 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
I think you really underestimate the paradox associated with AS and the job market. Entry-level jobs tend to prioritize skills people with Asperger's have a hard time with and "higher level jobs" require years of certification. So, unless you've won a pretty lucrative scholarship or have a parent financially able to support you throughout your years of University, it's tough being an Aspie in the labour market. There have been statistics from ASPIRE in the UK, perhaps not the greatest of studies, but they show that 80% of people diagnosed with Asperger syndrome surveyed for that particular study are unemployed.

I never said AS is not an issue or not an important one.

I just think that it can't be the 100% reason and I think that there should always be room for improvement. Hey, it will always be harder for AS than NTs, but that does not mean it is impossible.

The problem is we don't really know the background of Eric_crooks. He could just be a troll making shoot up, but there's always a chance that the REASON his parents are stressing that he get a job is because they can't really afford to support a child any more. In which case, Eric_crook is in a pretty bad situation as:

a) He doesn't have a natural apitude or connections conducive to today's entry-level labour market.
b) He doesn't have the ability to suffer the opportunity cost and go through 4 years of University to get proper certification for many more "Aspie-friendly" jobs.

Of course, I have no ideas on the particularities of his case and I don't think anyone can or should assess the case without knowledge of the details. The devil is, after all, in the details.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 3:31 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Yet Lawyers, physicians, and economists reap the benefit of working in a protected labour market (i.e. the state gov't continually increases standards for doctors inconsistently to bar out foreigners who might want to take a shot at displacing current physicians in the job market.

They first need a visa or legal residency, then they have to take the USMLE exam to become certified by the ECFMG, they also have to complete a ACGME accredited residency, and meet state requirements on top of that.

Considering what it takes to become a doctor in the US, I don't think that is excessive.

In my field, most of my instructors, as well as most of the graduate students, were educated overseas and those institutions were actually more competitive than US institutions and their credits were transferable, so they had no problem attending graduate school here. The biggest hurdle was obtaining the visa to work or study here.

Master_Pedant wrote:
I think you really underestimate the paradox associated with AS and the job market. Entry-level jobs tend to prioritize skills people with Asperger's have a hard time with and "higher level jobs" require years of certification.

Excellent observation. We tend to be rather horrible at entry level things, and I speculate that most of us, even if we do have the proper skills for more advanced positions...even if we happen to be self taught experts in the field, don't have the ability to promote ourselves properly to gain those positions without a degree.

Master_Pedant wrote:
So, unless you've won a pretty lucrative scholarship or have a parent financially able to support you throughout your years of University, it's tough being an Aspie in the labour market. There have been statistics from ASPIRE in the UK, perhaps not the greatest of studies, but they show that 80% of people diagnosed with Asperger syndrome surveyed for that particular study are unemployed.

I also believe a large number of those with AS end up homeless. And the irony is we usually outperform NT's in our field of interest but few NT's are willing to look past things which should be completely irrelevant to our qualifications.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 8:53 am

Actually, there was this interesting investigation that was being aired on our network here in Quebec yesterday. Apparently, illegals are themselves being stolen from the agencies that get them jobs, they sent undercover people to pose as illegals and one of them got a job for something as mundane as working to assemble BBQ brochettes in a food factory in a rural community (outside the city). The company does hire temporary employees for some seasons, and they resort to job-seeking agencies for that.

Well, it would seem though, that the guy going undercover was underpayed for his work there, the company usually gives 12$CA / hour or so, yet he only got 6.50$, and the agency took the rest...

It would seem that, when confronted about this, the company in question said they don't ask their employees for their papers, so they have no way of knowing. Thankfully, The VP of that company however said that they think our governements (provincial and federal) should look into the issue and clean up the mess, which indicates a willingness from their part.

It was also interesting to note that both undercover people got payed cash, instead of getting a check, which can't be deduced from taxes (it's pretty much undeclared work). That and, i have a pretty good hunch that this money is laundered money from the criminal sector. =.=

So meh, in that light, i doubt Asperger's are the only one being penalized here.... =/

(Oh yeah, sources... "Enquête" (YES it's french, gee) from the 21st of october, 8 pm, Radio-Canada Network)

edited for sources. :p

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 3:16 pm

@phil777: You forget to say that the 6.50$CA/hour salary is actually lower that the Quebec minimun salary of 9.50$CA/hour.

ilovecats102
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Oct 2010, 12:46 pm

I hate to say it because I've had illegal friends before and found them to be hard workers that often deserve to be here more than some lazy Americans do, but it's true. My social skills are so poor that I can't handle a service or office job for more than a month before being fired, yet I excel at labor work like cleaning houses, restoration/painting/etc, & outdoor jobs. It's getting harder to find those jobs and some employers even admit it. One vineyard owner turned me down for harvesting grapes at minimum wage by saying "the Latinas have you edged out on that market" and that I'd have no chance of getting farm work anywhere in California. It's not that they're willing to work cheaper, because I'd take the same amount of money. Anything is better than what I'm making now, which is nothing.

I'd also like to clear up the misconception that these are jobs nobody wants to do. PLENTY of Americans (even some NTs) can't handle corporate work and would be MORE than happy to pick fruit or clean houses for minimum wage. People used to understand that different people had different job abilities and it wasn't a bad thing. In the past if you couldn't handle a retail job because of poor social skills, people assumed that you were skilled at something else and there were plenty of labor and trade jobs available instead. Nowadays, if you don't fit the tiny lifestyle "box" that the majority of Americans fit into, you're instantly labeled as a "lazy piece of s**t." The ironic part is that the cubicle sitting b*****s that call me that probably wouldn't last 3 hours at some of the jobs I have been able to keep.

Thanks to things like outsourcing, jobs being given to immigrants, and some jobs being replaced by automated machinery, the options are very limited these days and not everybody will be able to find a niche. Some of us are being edged out and don't know how to survive and contribute anything to society. I'm just hoping I can get back in with some kind of trade work before I end up homeless.

Chronos wrote:
I also believe a large number of those with AS end up homeless. And the irony is we usually outperform NT's in our field of interest but few NT's are willing to look past things which should be completely irrelevant to our qualifications.

This, too. I think having AS is actually an asset at labor jobs because I focus on working and being productive instead of wasting time chatting like many NTs tend to do.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2010, 2:07 pm

immigrants are taking jobs (especially those in our few remaining factories) because they are among the only ones who put up with the lamentable conditions that exist in some of those settings. more legal citizens of the industrialized world would fill up those jobs if governments spent half as much time enforcing acceptable work conditions as they did fixating on small dividing issues.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 9:09 pm

Everyone's stealing jobs from Aspies. We're basically a type of introvert, though some of us may have more extrovert characteristics than others, and hiring managers prefer extroverts, so we aren't going to be hired as often.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2010, 10:09 pm

If anything, those "immigrants" working in fast food are here legally, as the corporations know that they have to check legal status on everyone that applies to work there. For the most part, if a corporation wants cheap labor, they shut down American factories and offices, then open up new factories in China, India, and other countries where there is no minimum wage.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 5:41 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Pay no mind to Wall Street, it's not as if they had anything to do with it. It's those illegals, yeah, they took your job.
Haha, I sense your sarcasm.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 5:43 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Everyone's stealing jobs from Aspies. We're basically a type of introvert, though some of us may have more extrovert characteristics than others, and hiring managers prefer extroverts, so we aren't going to be hired as often.

...and if they do hire you, they always wanna steal your stapler!

Last edited by JNathanK on 29 Oct 2010, 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.