Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LFO
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2010, 4:06 pm

I'm not sure whether this is the right forum, but I just thought id ask...

Usually whenever I go out in public, I feel very nervous, panicky and anxious;
Especially in a crowd of people, I feel really tense like I have to hold my breath.
Are there any good coping strategies that might help me with those kinds of problems?

Any replies would be appreciated. Thank you.

-L F O

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 7:26 pm

Bring a comfort item with you, and something in your pocket to fidget with.
Music or headphones.

I know I like to do things in steps. So it helps me when I treat everything like steps to accomplish and taking a break if possible after each one. Getting into the vehicle is a step. I acknowledge this and process it then I move on to the next step, which is driving to the destination. When you're there that is one more step and you can process this before getting ready for the next step.. etc.

I have severe anxiety but also sensory issues and process things slowly So I'm not really sure if these are just ways of preventing overwhelmed-ness that contribute somewhat to helping the anxiety. For all I know someone else would panic when taking steps slowly and change their mind about going. So only do something if it sounds like it'll help you.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 7:37 pm

Take some deep breaths whenever you feel stressed or anxious...it helps a lot and it is a stress relieving technique so many people use when feeling overwhelmed by every day life experiences.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 8:59 pm

Small comfort items, planning when/where/with whom I will socialize + tea & chocolate help me. :D

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 10:10 pm

I go through the names of the countries while taking deep breaths. United Kingdom (inhale), Ireland (exhale). Germany (inhale), France (exhale). And so on. It works really well for me.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 11:43 pm

I have to focus down [think blinkers on a horse] and withdraw. At a party I will hover around the eats, eating more than I really want but it gives a ring of defense. Used to get a lot of mileage from reciting stuff I had memorized - kind of like Cicely's countries.

LFO
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2010, 3:12 am

buryuntime wrote:
Bring a comfort item with you, and something in your pocket to fidget with.
Music or headphones.

I know I like to do things in steps. So it helps me when I treat everything like steps to accomplish and taking a break if possible after each one. Getting into the vehicle is a step. I acknowledge this and process it then I move on to the next step, which is driving to the destination. When you're there that is one more step and you can process this before getting ready for the next step.. etc.

I have severe anxiety but also sensory issues and process things slowly So I'm not really sure if these are just ways of preventing overwhelmed-ness that contribute somewhat to helping the anxiety. For all I know someone else would panic when taking steps slowly and change their mind about going. So only do something if it sounds like it'll help you.

Whats a comfort item? Like a stress ball, etc?

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 4:44 am

LFO wrote:
Whats a comfort item? Like a stress ball, etc?

A Linus blanket is too obvious. I take a set of Greek worry beads in my pocket, so I can feel it and count through the beads, while thinking about what they look like in different lights, and how they sound when the click together. A pendant or bracelet could do the same.